2015 Braves Thread

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
Ok Braves fans (Vizike too, Fredi says hey
wink.r191677.gif
) opening day is tomorrow. This is the first time in many seasons that expectations are really tempered. Heck, I can't come close to giving you the starting lineup. I think anything over 70 wins will be a successful season. Might be kind of relaxing.
Regardless, I love baseball season.

For the first time since the Braves moved here, I find myself unable to generate any interest at all this season. I think that has a lot to do with the change in ownership and it's approach. I don't feel like they really plan to compete, just try to make money.

Hopefully, it's spring break for me and perhaps I'll generate a little enthusiasm tomorrow to get me psyched for the first pitch. But prolly not.

And having said that, the moving van just left again with Upton (Vizike will be ecstatic) and Kimbrel traded to San Diego for players I've never heard of and a draft pick. This is bizarre.

I now have absolutely no interest in seeing a Braves game this year, as ownership is clearly out of its league. They should do the right thing by Freeman and a couple of other players and trade them to someone who has a clue.

This is sad...very sad.

This post was edited on 4/5 6:56 PM by seminoleed

Lunatics Running the Asylum?

Originally posted by trefeet:
Sad to see him go but glad it gets Melvin Upton off the payroll. Friggin worst contract ever.
Yep. Kimbrel was the cost of taking Upton and his entire contract. Thanks Frank Wren. Quintin will be DFA. The RHP was the Padres top prospect. As long as the Braves leadership uses these savings when they are ready to move into the new stadium I will live with this year.

What good is kimbrel if he never gets the opportunity to earn saves? As has been said, it's the cost of doing business and it may end up being the correct decision if the braves can make some moves over the next year to field a team in 16 that appears more competitive. They were never going to resign Hayward, so he had to be traded.

Also, people need to remember that last years Braves teams was something like 29 in the MLB in offense, so it's not like they were some type of juggernaut and this year will result in some drastic drop off.

Sad to see Kimbrel go, but love that Melvin was included and that was the main point of the deal. Like others have said, it made no sense to have the best closer and pay him well, when he cannot be used. The only part of the trade I don't like is that the key player coming back is another pitcher. I wish one of those two minor league hitters was included instead.

I don't like the Braves, but I think it's a very smart deal on their part. As an Astros fan, sometimes these deals suck in the present but pay off in the future. Definitely not wishing a rebuild like I've had to suffer through the last few years.

Another concern about the braves....will they make the correct future decisions on signing FA's?

Originally posted by Mugsy101:

Another concern about the braves....will they make the correct future decisions on signing FA's?
Maybe then can get Dan Uggla back next year?
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by GwinnettNole:

Maybe then can get Dan Uggla back next year?
wink.r191677.gif
Maybe...I think he'll be a FA in 2016.

Just listening to John Hart talking during the rain delay about the trade. I was happy to hear him say this was a move to give them more financial flexibility to improve the team more quickly. San Diego proposed the trade and taking on Upton's full contract if the Braves would include Kimbrel. When you take the emotion out of it, it was the proper move. It was said the dollar value to Atlanta is in the ballpark of $50mil
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by DFSNOLE:
Just listening to John Hart talking during the rain delay about the trade. I was happy to hear him say this was a move to give them more financial flexibility to improve the team more quickly. San Diego proposed the trade and taking on Upton's full contract if the Braves would include Kimbrel. When you take the emotion out of it, it was the proper move. It was said the dollar value to Atlanta is in the ballpark of $50mil
Upton had nearly $50M on his contract, and I read Kimbrel had 3yrs at $33 plus a 4th at the team option for $18M, so we're talking close to $100M in guaranteed contracts. The braves are done with Ugla after this year and that will free up another $13M or so.

Today was a fun game to watch; Billy Ball at its finest, and several clutch moments that the Braves came out on top of every time.

I know it won't be like this all season long, but for one game, I'd have to say I'm cautiously optimistic it won't be as bad as I was anticipating.

Upton had nearly $50M on his contract, and I read Kimbrel had 3yrs at $33 plus a 4th at the team option for $18M, so we're talking close to $100M in guaranteed contracts. The braves are done with Ugla after this year and that will free up another $13M or so.
Between Quetin and Maybin, they will add around $15mil to this year's salaries. Quentin has already been DFA. If Atlanta can get an AL team to pick him up, they'll be out of that contract. Otherwise they'll be paying him to not play for the Braves. Much like Uggla.

No doubt it was a great move. I'm just glad we weren't stuck with BJ like we were with Mike Hampton years ago

Originally posted by 62Nole:
Can't remember what year it was, but a 13-0 start.
Believe it was 1983, if memory serves. I was at that 13th game, when Claudell Washington (I think?) drove home two in the obttom of the 9th. Old Atlanta-Fulton Co. Stadium went nuts; on the tape of the game later, Skip Carary was all "Oh, win, win, win, win. How boring."

I also think they followed that streak up with something like a 5 or 8 game losing streak. These were the Braves, after all.

Guys - 3-0, is that so bad...?
wink.r191677.gif

Hey, I will agree with just about everything said here (not to be a boot-licker) but it should be fun this year. I figured that they'll lose 90+ with all the changes, and yet, it has been fun to listen to on the radio (old school for me). Besides, if all the young players they've picked up grow and gain through the ups-and-downs of the full Major League season, we may see good/great results in 2016 and 2017. Someone told me the other day that they felt like this was 1988-89 all over again and though I remember some of those seasons, more serious Braves-watchers may not draw too many parallels (young talent, guys hungry to prove themselves, a Vet or two willing to play in various roles). In any case, it should be a fun season...heck, its Baseball, not federal-deficit-budget-forecasting...

And - for some of us, we have some of these players nearby in Gwinnett and can see the future up close...
3dgrin.r191677.gif
. Minor League ball, anyone? G-Braves starting tonight!

Wow, this introduction celebrating the Braves 50th year in Atlanta is starting to make me a little teary-eyed. I got to thinking about all the exciting moments this team had over the years, even before they became a powerhouse. I tried to explain to me son sitting here how attached I was to this team when they moved here. I was a lad of 14 in Tampa, but having been born here, I was totally excited about it. Would stay up late at night listening to WSUN out of St. Pete who did the broadcasts; West Coast games during the school year were a killer, but there was always something about them that I loved. He asked me for some specifics; I gave him:

1. Hank's homer, obviously
2. The night Knockahoma's teepee caught fire
3. Ralph "Beep Beep" Garr and his speed
4. Biff Pocoroba (mainly because the future Mrs. Ed had a crush on him)
5. Sitting behind home plate as Count Montefusco threw a no-no at us
6. Pascual Perez and his trip around the Perimeter
7. Bob Horner coming down from the press box to help out when the aforementioned Perez got a full scale brawl going on the field.
7. Helicopters coming in to run their blades over the outfield grass to dry it out so a huge game with the Dodgers could be played; and Bob Watson hit a homer to win it, pointing at the Dodger dugout all the way around the bases.
8. Sid slid.
9. Justice's homer.
10. The great pitching and team unity of the Cox years.
11. Ted Turner and all his gimmicks. (Remember Andy Messersmith, No. 17, and Ted tried to get his name on the jersey changed to Channel).

Damn, I'm getting sentimental. ONe of these days, I'll repost the day the "Chop" was actually used for the first time at a Braves game...a LONG time before it became popular at Braves games. Hint: it involved a player named Deion and a large group of Noles partying long and hard in the parking lot prior to the game. Crazy day, that.

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Originally posted by fsujd:
Braves suppose to suck and are 4-0. Crazy.
About to be 5-0. Tonight's program? First inning homer, then bombing doubles and triples down the opposite field line for a 5-0 lead. Are these guys for real?
I thought you had already jumped off the bandwagon.

Didn't know Sean Gilmartin was with the Mets. Nice to see him pitch well in relief for them tonight. The Braves should never have traded him.

Can't go 162-0 without winning the first 5! Rebuilding year?
laugh.r191677.gif

Nice job by the Braves so far, and the Phillies are 3-2, and even the Red Sox, with no starting pitching are 4-1. Gonna be a fun year!

Originally posted by seminoleed:
About to be 5-0. Tonight's program? First inning homer, then bombing doubles and triples down the opposite field line for a 5-0 lead. Are these guys for real?
I thought you had already jumped off the bandwagon.
I'm still pissed with the way management has gutted this team, and you and I both know this isn't going to last long.

But...every day they don't lose brings a little more hope. Hell, that 13-0 start back in the 80s came out of nowhere as well, and led to a division championship. I'm no bandwagon fan, but I don't expect much this year, but they are certainly playing a style of baseball that's foreign to Braves fans. We shall see.

And here's hoping Teheran's injury doesn't cost him any games. He was unhittable tonight.

This post was edited on 4/11 11:08 PM by seminoleed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT