ADVERTISEMENT

2015 LR weight loss/fitness challenge??

Alan Aragon is awesome. I also follow Layne Norton, Mike Samuels, and the guys at progressive fitness. People really have no idea what they are missing by not at least researching flexible dieting/iifym

Originally posted by TarponSpringsNole:
Originally posted by 1nole2:
Im in, 5'7 180. Started after the Rose Bowl at 188 and down to 180. You all can keep all that dieting, Im with the poster who mentioned flexible dieting and iifym. One thing Ive learned is there is no such thing as unhealthy foods, just unhealthy quantities. I still eat pizza, burgers, oreos, ice cream etc and have managed to drop weight. Its all about eating at a caloric deficit to lose weight.
This guy gets it. Read up on Alan Aragon as well.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Thanks, someone else recently mentioned him to me but Ive been too busy to read up. Ill do that this weekend.

Quick update, my weight has stayed even, but I feel and look much better. Im finally to the point where I can workout and keep my breathing at a somewhat controlled pace and not cramp. I feel stronger in my legs, but still not where I want to be.

My eating has been pretty good during the week. I'm not getting enough daily calories in, but it's hard to do when you are staying away from sugars, breads, and pastas. I'm also eating just about anything I want on the weekends. I had five guys and two bowls of ice cream this weekend, oh yeah, and five heavy beers Saturday afternoon. Thats a pretty normal weekend for me. I'm sure this causes confusion to my metabolism, but I can only be so disciplined. I also don't think it's fair to my wife to not relax a little during the weekends.

Wouldn't mind slimming the waist down two inches, but not sure if that will happen if I don't change my food intake habits on the weekends.

Oh yeah, I have also cut salts out....that was very hard in begiining. I have been a HUGE salt fan my entire life. I'm talking about salting my food when cooking it, when it's on the plate, and then on each bite...I swear to you. I am now hardly using and can't tell the difference. It's a small miracle for me.

I'm doing great most days but have a hard time controlling my diet some days. Still binge eating at times and my portion control goes out the window. Any suggestions on how to manage this?

Originally posted by cmanole:
I'm doing great most days but have a hard time controlling my diet some days. Still binge eating at times and my portion control goes out the window. Any suggestions on how to manage this?
weight loss pills, the prescribed kind.

I knew a few girls a few years ago that took them. They gave me a couple to check out, and they absolutely worked. I felt like a crack head while on them, but it sure as hell cut out all cravings of food....french fries didn't even look appetizing.

That or you could start doing cross fit or an orange theory type of workout. From what I've been told you can binge eat all you want when doing this type of training, that it's encouraged. The only catch is that it can be sugars, pastas, or breads. Everything is pretty much fair game.

What type of diet are you following? If it's just "clean eating" that may be your problem. If you're cutting out too many of the things you enjoy, you are almost destined to fail. Allowing yourself flexibility, while maintaining and caloric deficit, is the easiest way to control binge eating

Change what you are "binge" eating. If it's ice cream or cookies that will kill you, but if you go for grapes or another fruit it won't be as bad. Trade chips for pretzels, my husband is a big cookie eater, he switched from Oreos to fig newtons. I usually go for ice cream so I eat frozen yogurt. (Sugar free crap tears up my stomach most of the time) but binge eating is generally not great lol.

As for me, spent the weekend in NOLA and really didn't gain or lose, very happy about that!! I have a race in just over a week so I've been eating more carbs than usual, but I'm burning them too :)

I am late to the party and trying to go the opposite way(want to be 170).

First off, good job to everyone!

I am 5'10 and 155. At the start of the new year, I started a mostly whole food plant based diet and now down to 149. Now, I am trying to slowly put on weight.

I am telling you, the hardest part is not quitting and I always tell myself if I fall off my diet, I will do better tomorrow!

Gym 4-5 times a week and work out before work starts in the morning.

Good luck to everyone on their quests.

Cmanole and nole girl,

Switch to a whole foods plant based diet and you can binge eat all you want especially in the beginning. Like nole girl said, the problem is what you binge on. The hardest part for me was getting out of my diet all the things with lots of ingredients in them. I try to buy 5 or less now and all known ingredients. I would also recommend watching forks over knives as a starting point to learn a lot of the science behind it.

Also, the easiest website and diet to help get started is following dean ornish spectrum. It is the number 1 heart healthy diet and #9 overall on us news and world report. Keep in mimd the protein based diets are all dead last.

Dean ornish makes it so easy to follow as he put all foods in categories 1-5. Your goal is to strive for 1 and 2 as much as possible.

Also, diabetes 2 and heart disease should not exist in this country. The food industry is large and there s a lot of money spent is taste and addiction that goes into natural and artifical flavors you read on igredient list

I have never in my life read such silly and ridiculous things about dieting and caloric intake as I've read here, lol. Simply comical at times, but good luck to everyone that needs to shed those lbs no matter which method you use.

Whitworth15, I don't care what "whole foods" you are eating, you cannot binge on any food you want. Your body doesn't care if you're diet is 100% clean filled with chicken and vegetables, if you're eating at a caloric surplus you will gain weight and store fat.

A caloric deficit dictates weight loss/weight gain. Not the quality of food you eat

Fsu, you are correct but you would have to eat a lot of fruit to equal the amount of calories consumed in binge eating potato chips. That is the point and I was being very vague in my response to show. The idea is when you binge, choose an apple.

That is a starting point as not everyone can cut out binge eating and I probably should have given more information than just saying binge eat on something with low calories, and that is heart healthy.

Anyway, I don't want to make this an argument thread so my apologies. If you would like to discuss further, please go to that whole30 thread.

BTW, my background is chemistry and I fell in love with nutrition 3 years ago. I was lucky to have great guidance and the chemistry background has helped me to quickly understand what different ingredients are (although google works great).

This post was edited on 2/15 3:06 PM by whitworth15

Tarpon if I remember correctly you follow iifym correct? I know you're a personal trainer, just curious if you could share your current macro split.

I'm eating 2050 calories with a 200 P, 100 C, 94 f macro split on my off and conditioning days and 3450 calories with a 215 P, 430 C, 97 F macro split on my lifting days. It puts me at about a 325 calorie deficit

Originally posted by Tarpon...gsNole:
I have never in my life read such silly and ridiculous things about dieting and caloric intake as I've read here, lol. Simply comical at times, but good luck to everyone that needs to shed those lbs no matter which method you use.

Tarpon that's how I lost 60lbs. First started by cutting whatever I ate in half, then started counting calories. My biggest issue has always been portion control, counting calories made me pay attention to my portions. I've kept it off for almost 7 years. I go up and down around 7-8 pounds depending on the time of year, but I want to be lower than what I am now. My BMI and body fat % are all within the normal/healthy range for someone my age and height. What works for one person may not work for the next.

Originally posted by NolegirlY2K:

Tarpon that's how I lost 60lbs. First started by cutting whatever I ate in half, then started counting calories. My biggest issue has always been portion control, counting calories made me pay attention to my portions. I've kept it off for almost 7 years. I go up and down around 7-8 pounds depending on the time of year, but I want to be lower than what I am now. My BMI and body fat % are all within the normal/healthy range for someone my age and height. What works for one person may not work for the next.

I'm mostly referring to "whole plant foods", and " protein diets being dead last."
We should all choose what we eat wisely, and I'm happy you've found what works for you.

@fsu: I'll throw up my split later for you

Originally posted by OrlandNole:

Im in, 5'7 180. Started after the Rose Bowl at 188 and down to 180. You all can keep all that dieting, Im with the psoter who mentioned flexible dieting and iifym. One thing Ive learned is there is no such thing as unhealthy foods, just unhealthy quantities. I still eat pizza, burgers, oreos, ice cream etc and have managed to drop weight. Its all about eating at a caloric deficit to lose weight.
Dropping weight doesn't equal fit or healthy.
What's your definition of fit and healthy?
Sorry. Just saw this.

Net caloric intake is, by far, the most important factor in determining
weight. However, IMO, other elements of nutrition are important to fitness goals. For example, what is going to better help you through a grueling workout: oatmeal and sweet potatoes or Skittles and Lucky Charms?

Originally posted by TarponSpringsNole:
Originally posted by NolegirlY2K:

I'm mostly referring to "whole plant foods", and " protein diets being dead last."
We should all choose what we eat wisely, and I'm happy you've found what works for you.

@fsu: I'll throw up my split later for you
I would love to read the publications that you have against whole plant foods. Luckily, I have access to pubmed, so just tell me where to go.

Also, simply put, are they not ranked last? Also, please respond to this in the whole 30 diets thread.

Originally posted by DanC78:
Quick update, my weight has stayed even, but I feel and look much better. Im finally to the point where I can workout and keep my breathing at a somewhat controlled pace and not cramp. I feel stronger in my legs, but still not where I want to be.

My eating has been pretty good during the week. I'm not getting enough daily calories in, but it's hard to do when you are staying away from sugars, breads, and pastas. I'm also eating just about anything I want on the weekends. I had five guys and two bowls of ice cream this weekend, oh yeah, and five heavy beers Saturday afternoon. Thats a pretty normal weekend for me. I'm sure this causes confusion to my metabolism, but I can only be so disciplined. I also don't think it's fair to my wife to not relax a little during the weekends.

Wouldn't mind slimming the waist down two inches, but not sure if that will happen if I don't change my food intake habits on the weekends.

Oh yeah, I have also cut salts out....that was very hard in begiining. I have been a HUGE salt fan my entire life. I'm talking about salting my food when cooking it, when it's on the plate, and then on each bite...I swear to you. I am now hardly using and can't tell the difference. It's a small miracle for me.
Not sure? It's pretty easy answer. You don't cut back on the fast food, ice cream, salt and brews you won't.

Originally posted by fsu123187:
Tarpon if I remember correctly you follow iifym correct? I know you're a personal trainer, just curious if you could share your current macro split.

I'm eating 2050 calories with a 200 P, 100 C, 94 f macro split on my off and conditioning days and 3450 calories with a 215 P, 430 C, 97 F macro split on my lifting days. It puts me at about a 325 calorie deficit
Im at 2100 cals with a 210 C/184 P/58 F split. I started at 188 early January down to 176 as of this morning.

Im in, 5'7 180. Started after the Rose Bowl at 188 and down to 180. You all can keep all that dieting, Im with the psoter who mentioned flexible dieting and iifym. One thing Ive learned is there is no such thing as unhealthy foods, just unhealthy quantities. I still eat pizza, burgers, oreos, ice cream etc and have managed to drop weight. Its all about eating at a caloric deficit to lose weight.
Dropping weight doesn't equal fit or healthy.
What's your definition of fit and healthy?
Sorry. Just saw this.

Net caloric intake is, by far, the most important factor in determining
weight. However, IMO, other elements of nutrition are important to fitness goals. For example, what is going to better help you through a grueling workout: oatmeal and sweet potatoes or Skittles and Lucky Charms?
Personally it doesnt matter for me, a carb is a carb whether it is a Skittle or a Potatoe. As long as I have enough carbs during the day I will have the energy to push through a workout. For example, I was out of town this past weekend and did not have an opportunity to meal prep for the week. My carbs yesterday consisted mainly of Mike and Ikes, Ice Cream sandwich, protein bar, popcorn chips and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I made it through my workout just fine and increased my weight from previous lifts while maintaining the same number of reps.

Personally I feel the reason people fall of their diets or binge is because they cut out what they like. If it is eaten in moderation it doesnt have to be cut out and you will be less likely to binge or have carvings which more times than not lead to one getting off their diet.

Reactions: fsu123187
Found a pretty cool new free diet app. I've been using for about week now and like it good bit.

My Fitness Pal

Hope it helps!

This post was edited on 2/18 11:18 AM by DanC78

My Fitness Pal

Found a pretty cool new free diet app. I've been using for about week now and like it good bit.

My Fitness Pal

Hope it helps!

Dude, this app has been out for 10 years and has over 50 million users...

My Fitness Pal

Hope it helps!

Yeah, but what about this one Cman???

newer version

My Fitness Pal

Hope it helps!

laugh.r191677.gif

My Fitness Pal

Hope it helps!

tongue.r191677.gif

Is it customary to feel cramped when you go on a no carb diet? at least at first as your body adjusts...

I finally dropped a few lbs this week. I do a boot camp class 3 MWF, one trx class on Friday and am trying to mix up my cardio on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Had been holding steady or gaining for about a month but today I was down 3. I will try to repeat what I did on cardio days for a few weekend and then change it up again.

Originally posted by 2noles1cup:
Is it customary to feel cramped when you go on a no carb diet? at least at first as your body adjusts...
Are you eating more vegetables? That could be causing it.

2 months in and Im down to 171 (16 lbs total) eating what I want, when I want as long as I hit my macros. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week for weights and cardio.

Down 9 lbs total to 213. Deadlifted 525 for 4 singles last night, I'm well on my way to my 600 lb goal

I was doing great and then had baby. Only been to gym 3 times in 3 weeks and my eating and sleeping is awful. I eat what is brought to us and sleep when I can. Going to try and get back on track tomorrow.

Got in here late it seems... I don't spend enough time here lol.

Started at 6'1", 250

Currently down to 222

Low carbs, only soda I drink now is diet (and I hate diet, so that should tell you something)

Started training for a 5K (day of the spring game)

Running and Cardio help a ton!

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
The MapMyWalk app has been a really good motivator for me, that and doing my walks around campus before going to a game.

I can't stop eating like a maniac on the weekends. My working out is going great, my diet Monday through Friday afternoon is decent as well. But by Friday night I slowly start turning to the dark side. By Sunday I'm normally all in...pizza and ice cream with brownies. Killing all my hard work during the weekdays.

I have a new goal of July 1. I want to lose 2 to 3 inches off my waist line. I have back fat right now...needs to be gone. Other than that I feel good about my appearance and the way I feel physically.

Cross-fit has really changed me for the better. I highly recommend for anyone who played sports in high school and gets bored in the gym as an adult. I've gotten a few other people to join gyms in their neighborhoods, men and women. They have all taken to it big time. My niece can't stop thanking me for introducing her. She has lost 15 lbs and is in the best shape of her life after 3 months. She LOVES it and will be doing it for a long time to come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT