ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Women's softball

Teams like ND, VT and even Clemson to a lesser degree do not have the pitching depth to beat a deeper team like FSU in a 3 game series.
Tidd did well yesterday, but they got rocked today. I suspect if Tidd comes back Sunday, it won't take 6 innings to unlock the code!

Reactions: waternole
Teams like ND, VT and even Clemson to a lesser degree do not have the pitching depth to beat a deeper team like FSU in a 3 game series.
Tidd did well yesterday, but they got rocked today. I suspect if Tidd comes back Sunday, it won't take 6 innings to unlock the code!
Agreed. If we can rely on Mac, Royalty and Dubois to eat up quality innings then we can compete with anyone in a 3 game series.
The ACC tournament is different as 1 loss and your done. After Kat and Wilson in last years tournament Leonard stepped up as well.

Kat is remarkable. ND had already seen her and actually began to hit her in the 1st game in the 5th inning.
Today, she shut them down for 3.2 innings and MR came on and finished the task similar to Friday.
I would say our team offensive stats ticked up while ND's ticked down.

I just looked at 2018's season stats. This year's offensive stats are much better than 18.
They got hot at the right time. Meghan King caught fire at the right time.
Only 4 players had a BA over 300, Zoe Casas .304 Carsyn Gordon .308 Syd .371 and Jesse W .401
The others were in the mid 200s with Elizabeth Warren at .278 being the highest.

We have hope if our pitching catches fire in the post season.

Anything is possible, but nothing the Ville has done scares me. They've lost twice to Kentucky, twice to NW and 2 out of 3 to Duke and Notre Dame.
uf is only slightly more daunting b/c of about 3 or 4 players.
I have a hard time envisioning them stopping our bats, but ...

Dear Bartow Gator fan friends are taking me to Gainesville to watch the game tomorrow night. I have never been in the Florida softball stadium and am as excited as an 18 year old. The new poll rankings will certainly have the Gator nation fired up. I hope that the Tallahassee bus of Seminole fans rolls into Gainsville filled with loud, enthusiastic Noles.

FSU has had a vocal presence at every away game this season. Either we travel well, or
we have lots of fans in these individual cities.
I don't care if it's ND, Clemson, VT or Duke, I hear lots of FSU chants and cheers (K time and so forth).

FSU has had a vocal presence at every away game this season. Either we travel well, or
we have lots of fans in these individual cities.
I don't care if it's ND, Clemson, VT or Duke, I hear lots of FSU chants and cheers (K time and so forth).
There wasn't alot at VT. But, the ones that were there were heard.

A few observations.
1. We have 2 clear top notch pitchers.
2. I like Mack as our 3rd pitcher, b/c her misses aren't usually over the middle of the plate, and she pitches low in the zone.
3. I like DuBois as our 4th pitcher. Iffy with BB and fielding, but hasn't given up a HR this year.
4. Royalty is 5th, but with a very short leash. Her misses are bad misses over the middle of the plate.
5. In the department of redundancy department, Kerr is our best hitter WHEN SHE SWINGS AT STRIKES!
6. 51's defense and judgment (the Echols run down) was horrible through 5 innings. In the last 2 innings with Reid, she caught several high pitches that could easily have been PBs.
7. Harding needs to tweak her swing. She has flied out almost every at bat here recently. ( hyperbole)
8. Best overall hitting team we've ever had.
9. In my admittedly short memory, Reid is the best true freshman pitcher at FSU.
10. Lonni, go and get at least one stud pitcher (NOT A PROJECT) in the portal!
*** Let's get/stay hot and go all the way to the WCWS!

PS I thought Harding's ground ball bounced over the left side of the bag. What say you?

We nearly blew that game.
Our baserunning errors really hurt us. We had 12 hits to their 6.
We could/should have scored several more runs, but for mental errors
in baserunning. That has become a common theme recently. Hope we get that straightened out.
It'll be interesting to see who we pitch today.
Leornard would be my choice

Reactions: JonScott
AGain with an error really hurting us.
They scored 2 runs in the 2nd inning due to an error on (wait for it, drum roll)
our Third baseman.
We need to clean this up and our baserunning errors to make a big run in the NCAAT IMO.
The good news is we found a way to win and Mack Leonard looked good on the mound.
We need a minimum of 3 (4 would be preferable) pitchers we can count on for that aforementioned deep run.

AGain with an error really hurting us.
They scored 2 runs in the 2nd inning due to an error on (wait for it, drum roll)
our Third baseman.
We need to clean this up and our baserunning errors to make a big run in the NCAAT IMO.
The good news is we found a way to win and Mack Leonard looked good on the mound.
We need a minimum of 3 (4 would be preferable) pitchers we can count on for that aforementioned deep run.
Dubois, Royalty and and Leonard need to give us 2, 3 or even 4 quality innings when needed. All other times a heavy dose of Sandercock and Reid.

Dubois, Royalty and and Leonard need to give us 2, 3 or even 4 quality innings when needed. All other times a heavy dose of Sandercock and Reid.
That appears to be Lonni's MO. Leonard for 1.2 innings, Reid for 3.1 and Sandercock for 2.
Jahni continues to happily frustrate me. In the bottom of the 5th she leads off and gets 0-2. You know what happens then. She swings at anything right? Well TBH, she did watch a pitch 2 feet wide of the plate go by to get to 1-2, but then she literally swung at a pitch that was bouncing at the PLATE. Fortunately she fouled it off. Then the next pitch was decent and she hit a hot shot up the middle that literally knocked the glove off the pitcher who recovered in time to throw her out.
She's only our top BA hitter, so how frustrating can it be?

The advantage of hosting is that USCe and UCF will need to use their aces to advance.
Of course they can use them twice in a row.
FSU can use any combo of Leonard, DuBois and Royalty against Marist and have KS and MR
ready to go on Saturday. I like our chances. If we can't handle that in this regional, we don't
deserve to move on.
I'm betting we run rule Marist and go undefeated in this regional.

Well, I certainly hope learned her lesson about Ali and Allison.
go with KS, Mack and Reid. Keep a short leash for Mack

I'm sitting here watching the end of the OU and CU game and OU just tied it up on a 3 run jack.
Their celebrations of even walks are so over the top.
I despise them.
I might even cheer for the gatros over them. (might)
I hope anyone else wins the series this year. Obviously us for sure, but anyone other than OU would be welcome.

I'm sitting here watching the end of the OU and CU game and OU just tied it up on a 3 run jack.
Their celebrations of even walks are so over the top.
I despise them.
I might even cheer for the gatros over them. (might)
I hope anyone else wins the series this year. Obviously us for sure, but anyone other than OU would be welcome.
Yeah... Those walk reactions are seriously douchy.

I'm thinking we got a great bracket to start with.
Of course any team in the bracket could beat us, but OSU, UW and Utah
seems a lot easier than OU, Tenn, Ala and Stanford.
In fact if I had to rank them going in, I'd rank them:
OU
FSU
Stanford
Tenn
OSU
Utah
UW
Alabama
JMHO

Reactions: NoleLizards
I'm thinking we got a great bracket to start with.
Of course any team in the bracket could beat us, but OSU, UW and Utah
seems a lot easier than OU, Tenn, Ala and Stanford.
In fact if I had to rank them going in, I'd rank them:
OU
FSU
Stanford
Tenn
OSU
Utah
UW
Alabama
JMHO
The first game against the Cowgirls is huge. Win that one and a game against the Utah/UW winner seems doable.

Reactions: NoleLizards
OU is rightfully the prohibitive favorite.
That said, they are beatable. Were it not for a pitch left up in the zone with 2 strikes and 2 outs in the 7th, Clemson would have beat them.
Their pitchers are good, but again beatable.
If Stanford's ace is on, they can certainly beat OU.
Tennessee and FSU are capable as well!
Anyone but OU!

Last edited:
OU is rightfully the prohibitive favorite.
That said, they are beatable. Were it not for a pitch left up in the zone with 2 strikes and 2 outs in the 7th, Clemson would have beat them.
Their pitchers are good, but again beatable.
If Stanford's ace is on, they can certainly beat OU.
Tennessee and FSU are capable as well!
Anyone but Stanford!
Did you mean OU?

I agree. Cocky bunch. Especially #98 their best pitcher. But, hey if the World Series is held in your backyard every year then that's a pretty good selling point to the top recruits.
Come play with us and our fans will pack the stadium year after year when make it to the championship.

I think we have a reasonable chance.
Anyone but Oklahoma!

Interesting nugget from Alameda, who is talking this afternoon at an OKC press conference:

She is asked about facing Oklahoma State in a home and home, as well as the familiarity with the Cowgirls in recent years. Alameda says FSU will face Oregon in a home-and-home in the coming years (not sure which years in Tallahassee and Eugene).

Alameda is also asked about pace of play in softball. She's in favor of hitters being told they need to keep one foot in the box (think she says that's an international rule) and likes the pitch clock.

Alameda is also asked about pace of play in softball. She's in favor of hitters being told they need to keep one foot in the box (think she says that's an international rule) and likes the pitch clock.
Lonni has always been an advocate for fast pace of play in softball. She has rightfully said before that a big reason why softball viewership has increased dramatically of late is the speed and intensity of the games.

There were a few times down the stretch where the FSU baseball team finished nine innings before the softball team finished seven.

Reactions: Bob Ferrante
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT