ADVERTISEMENT

22 Years Ago: Nolan vs. Ventura

I still have the Dallas Morning News sports section from the following day. Front page has that picture of Nolan connecting on Ventura's face.

My wife found it a couple of months ago when while she was going through some old tote boxes with some of my stuff. She was going to throw it out and I told her no chance in hell. It's yellowed a bit and I should have had it framed but I have it saved in a plastic sleeve. In the same tote, I had the DMN sports pages from Nolan's 7th no hitter and 5,000th strikeout.

Ventura claimed Ryan hit him deliberately. "If you don't think he did it on purpose, you don't know the game," Ventura said at the time. "I'm all right. He gave me a couple of noogies, but that was about it."

Hard to believe that Nolan lost almost 300 games with a career ERA of 3.09 and only won 20 games twice. In 1987 he led the NL in ERA and lost 16 games while only winning 8.

I wonder what is average run support was over his career.

Hard to believe that Nolan lost almost 300 games with a career ERA of 3.09 and only won 20 games twice. In 1987 he led the NL in ERA and lost 16 games while only winning 8.

I wonder what is average run support was over his career.

Considering the teams he played for, his run support average was probably terrible.

He probably did bean Ventura on purpose. Doesn't change my opinion of him though. Robin Ventura was a jackass.

Reactions: runkpanole
ADVERTISEMENT