ADVERTISEMENT

7 Years Cancer Free

samnnoles

Contributor
Nov 11, 2002
7 years ago today was my son Sam's last chemo treatment for Ewing's Sarcoma. He was 11 years old at the time. Today we are at Arnold Palmer Hospital in Orlando for his annual checkup. He is 18, headed to FSU in the fall as a freshman and cancer free. Thanks to all that have sent prayers and positive thoughts our way over the years. Cinco De Mayo has always had a special meaning to us since that day 7 years ago. If you wish, as you are celebrating the holiday, raise a glass of your favorite beverage and celebrate this blessing with us.

What great news!
I remember doing consults on the Pediatric Oncology section of our local hospital...seeing those poor kids hooked up receiving their chemo...and the families helplessly watching over their sick kid...you never forget that and you don't ever fully get over it.
Bless you all.
(...and I will toast to you all tonight)

Reactions: samnnoles
Congratulations twofold, in beating cancer and your sons obvious excellent college decision.

7 years ago today was my son Sam's last chemo treatment for Ewing's Sarcoma. He was 11 years old at the time. Today we are at Arnold Palmer Hospital in Orlando for his annual checkup. He is 18, headed to FSU in the fall as a freshman and cancer free. Thanks to all that have sent prayers and positive thoughts our way over the years. Cinco De Mayo has always had a special meaning to us since that day 7 years ago. If you wish, as you are celebrating the holiday, raise a glass of your favorite beverage and celebrate this blessing with us.

Awesome. I still remember meeting you and Sam at Bobby's last game at the Gator Bowl. Good kid and great to see him fight off the cancer and keep it away. Great to see him heading to FSU, too. A toast to Sam: may you enjoy and appreciate your time at FSU.

My son is 16 and he has some issues with anger and what not, I pray every night that God will take his pain, misery and sadness away and give it to me, as it breaks my heart to see him like this. I can't imagine the grief that you have gone through with your son, and a huge congrats that he is cancer free, there's nothing that bothers me more in this world than to see a sick child. Congrats again, and if it's too corny to give your son a hug from us here up north, throw him a high-five from us!

That's awesome news. Always great to hear news like this. My wife just celebrated her one year anniversary of her lung transplant. I feel your happiness.

Hard to believe it has been that long. Great to hear the news since I remember you sharing with us way back when you were first dealing with this. So will Sam be joining the LR now that he is heading to FSU? I am sure he can get a lot of good advice about where to go, best Happy Hours, making friends with the bartenders for college hookups, etc. from the crowd around here! ;)

Congratulations to him and your family on both of these significant accomplishments! I can't believe he's going off to college this fall, man time sure does fly!

My son is 16 and he has some issues with anger and what not, I pray every night that God will take his pain, misery and sadness away and give it to me, as it breaks my heart to see him like this. I can't imagine the grief that you have gone through with your son, and a huge congrats that he is cancer free, there's nothing that bothers me more in this world than to see a sick child. Congrats again, and if it's too corny to give your son a hug from us here up north, throw him a high-five from us!
Thank you so much Manch! It was a very tough time for us during treatment and afterwards financially. All is good now. Thoughts and prayers to you and your son to find some peace. It will happen.

Hard to believe it has been that long. Great to hear the news since I remember you sharing with us way back when you were first dealing with this. So will Sam be joining the LR now that he is heading to FSU? I am sure he can get a lot of good advice about where to go, best Happy Hours, making friends with the bartenders for college hookups, etc. from the crowd around here! ;)
He has talked about joining the LR. I encouraged him to do it since it's a free board. I'm not paying for a premium membership for him though. He's on his own on that.

ADVERTISEMENT