ADVERTISEMENT

A Few Things I Found To Pass The Time & Keep You From Going Stir Crazy

FSUKXAZ

Star Player
Gold Member
Aug 22, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
Are you stir Crazy yet? There are a few things I do to pass the time.

1) Something we all do: Binge a show or watch movies. It cool to have Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, Showtime, Starz, Movie Channel, Cinemax, Apple TV, and more. I save a ton of money having a lot of content providers. I go out less frequently during non-pandemic times, so its made transition to staying at home now much easier. Plenty to choose from.

2) Listen to audio books on digital service. I use Amazon's Audible service. There you get 1 book a month for $14.99. If you read/listen more like me, you can buy extra credits which works out to $11 a book. I do 3 or 4 books a month. The common place to do listen is in your car on long drives. However, I've found chilling out on your patio or taking long walks with headphones are additional times I get a good listen. Sometimes I choose to listen to a book, rather than listening to music or sports. Now is perfect time for it. It's relaxing. My favorite authors are John Grisham, Nick Petrie, Vince Flynn, and Michael Connelly.

3) Get on your computer, and grab a drink and listen/watch your favorite music acts on Facebook Live. Most musical artists have free (or tipped) shows during the quarantine. From once a week to a few times a week there are new shows. I'm fond of modern blues music. Examples:
- Mike Zito has an interview show where he interviews another blues artist about all kinds of behind the scenes stuff. He's interviewed Albert Cummings, Albert Castiglia, JP Soars, Torozano Cannon, etc. He and his band also recorded a new album during first 2 weeks of quarantine and released it. It's called Quarantine Blues.
- Damon Fowler has a show called Fowler's Garage where he hangs out and chats with other artists and play music together. The last show had Berry Duane Oakley and Damon Fowler playing acoustic guitars.
- Devon Allman has a show from his house where he and various different artists get together and play to themed type of show. He's had shows with his own solo music, blues night, Allman Betts Band music, 80's music, Tom Petty music, etc.
- Samantha Fish has a Friday show where she has random guests, talks, and plays guitar.

4) If you like learning new things, go on LinkedIn Learning (or similar) and watch training videos to learn a new skill.

I’ll play....
- I’ve gotten back into reading. I’ve always loved to read but am a bit of a commitment phobe when it comes to starting a new one. I just finished the book “Dead Wake” about the sinking of the Lusitania and thus our inevitable entrance into WWI

- I watch TV but still only at night. Currently watching Season 3 of Ozark and the last season of Homeland. I’ll definitely be watching The Last Dance doc about MJ and the Bulls.

- I exercise. I don’t have any weights but I have old textbooks. I’ve loaded them up into a couple backpacks to provide additional resistance for pushups, pull-ups, lunges and squats. I do a few other single joint exercises as well. It’s not much but it’s something. I also walk, a lot. I’m prob doing 2.5-4miles a day.

- I social distance with friends. I have a fold up chair and a little cooler and I go over to friends houses to sit in their front yard or back yard and chit chat. This may be “controversial” but I live by myself and am never closer than really 10’ to any of them.

- I also golf. Everyone gets their own cart (man, does that speed things up) and we don’t take the pin out. This is the thing I legitimately look forward to the most in my life right now

Reactions: 12Nole
3) Get on your computer, and grab a drink and listen/watch your favorite music acts on Facebook Live. .

Same, but Youtube. Not sure how I have missed it all of these years but recently discovered The Tiny Desk Concert series by NPR. Highly recommend. Also like videos of big name bands or singers playing bars, parties, etc. before they made it big. They give you a "man, how cool would that be?" feeling.

Reactions: 12Nole
93650503_10222477111134724_6698138632122793984_n_5967745f180bff5761ee44137195ba9c9f25a0b1.jpg

Working out.
Jocko Podcast.
Joe Rogan Podcast.
Quality time with my Wife and pup.
FaceTime with friends/family.
Reading books.
Coltrane Radio while working or Podcast.
Cleaned out my work email inbox.
Cleaned out my garage.

LinkedIn Learning is a great recommendation. I haven't played around much there lately but will dive in this weekend.

The only thing I really miss is being able to go to the beach but that is now starting to open back up thankfully.

This entire thing has just made me realize how non-essential it is to eat out 3-4 times a week, get in the car to drive to a store to buy things I don't need, and how ridiculous it is to go into an office every morning when I'm fully capable to do my job at home and get more done without the distraction of coworkers and leadership over my shoulder.

I'm almost finished completely digging out the overgrown flower beds in my back courtyard. My hands and arms are a bruised scratched up mess! I shouldn't have let them get so overgrown.
Tomorrow I'm going to look at a little one year old "schnoodle" to adopt. I just have to decide whether I want the responsibility for a dog right now. My last dog has been gone for three years now and it would take getting used to again.
I'm eating at home every night, so cooking and eating leftovers is the new norm.

I'm almost finished completely digging out the overgrown flower beds in my back courtyard. My hands and arms are a bruised scratched up mess! I shouldn't have let them get so overgrown.
Tomorrow I'm going to look at a little one year old "schnoodle" to adopt. I just have to decide whether I want the responsibility for a dog right now. My last dog has been gone for three years now and it would take getting used to again.
I'm eating at home every night, so cooking and eating leftovers is the new norm.
I love doggies. And the longer you have them, the better. It could lead to better cookin' too.

Did you get the dog? You left us hanging & we're all in the edge of our seats.

Reactions: Random_John
Something I've found helpful to stay engaged with friends is buy online games from Jack Box. You can have a zoom party and then share your screen. Has trivia and balderdash type games are are pretty funny. Good way to burn 1-2 hours with friends and make it in to happy hour. Just need a computer and a phone to play.

I walk my 3 legged pyrenees and my girl friend's cocker spaniel more than I am sure they have ever been walked. Both were adopted from rescues so I can't say what it was like prior to us.

If you like Andrew Lloyd Weber musicals, they are streaming on youtube. A new play starts each Friday. This Friday is Love Never Dies. We have watched Jesus Christ Superstar, and Phantom of the Opera. They are the stage versions. Search for ALW The Show Must Go On. The 2 we saw were amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT