ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

seminoleed

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
So here we go with the Community Shield match at a packed Wembley with a North London derby to boot.

COYG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great goal from Ox in the 1st half.

Looks like a goal is coming any second for Chelsea here at the ~60th minute though.

COYG!!

Have not watched any of the match at all, how did Falcoa look for Chelsea? Did he look stale like he did at United last year and at this year's Copa?

Congrats' on the shield, you Arses. ;-) Looks like not much has changed for my Blues...Just can't seem to convert possession into quality scoring opportunities.

Excellent performance from The Arsenal; hope this carries over into the regular season now.

Loved the way Wenger just walked off the pitch at the end of the match; then, as they came down the steps after the ceremony where Josie was shaking their hands, he again walked right by him with utter disdain and contempt on his face. I love it. I always wished Bobby had done that to Spurrier back in the day.

I just watched it.

Both goalies looked good and honestly for a usually boring game it was solid!

Falcao to me isnt fit yet from his old knee injury he just doesnt move right yet, but its early. I miss his old skill and tenacity.

Walcott fresh off his dumb contract was horrible, oxlade great goal what sn enigma just like walcott! . No dumb mistakes by kosc or mert to lead to goals.

For arsenal my concerns are the one touch passing was way behind Where it usually is in august but seems Wenger has slowly been moving away from that philosophy so msybe on purpose to be more direct, and giroud and arteta just stall the offense but one game so who knows.

Chelsea, as a reminder i loathe, but they were ok, honestly for me Willian attacking created the most worry, hazard looked asleep. Fsbregas out of shape but again one game.

Arsenal needed it more should be a great season!

CGs to the Gunners, they took the one chance they had (before we went to 3 at the back) and Chelsea wasn't able to convert their real chances (Ramires, Hazard, Ivanovic). While it is a glorified exhibition match, still sucks to lose to Arsenal.

I'lll say this, I wasn't too happy to see us start with Cesc at the 10, whenever we do we don't play well. Need Oscar's energy up there to engage our pressing game. Played a bit better once we moved Cesc deeper and Ramires up the pitch so that Willian was in the 10 hole and suddenly Chelsea had the game in full control, unfortunately, like the final 1/3 of last campaign, that meant virtually nothing as we did very little with the possession and created very few scoring opportunities.

While Cech wasn't tested in the game, he seemed like he already has control of the back 4 and they looked like they new what they were doing especially on set pieces. I can't remember a time since Lehmen was the Gunners keeper that Arsenal had a GK take control of the organization like that. Still some things that could have been taken advantage of better as Chelsea's strikers/AM weren't yet on the same page as evidenced by the multiple offsides calls during the match. That high line will cost Arsenal a few goals this year as Cech isn't a great sweeper keeper.

All things considered it wasn't a bad match.

I'm guessing that the yellows don't carry over since it was an exhibition match as each team did get one for Azpilicueta and Coquelin.

There used to be a great one years ago that I still miss called World Soccer Daily, w/a Chelsea fan named Steven Cohen and a Rangers FC supporter, named Kenny Hasad. I used to love that show so much. Even called in a few times. I've never found one since that I enjoy, so I'm very interested in any responses to your question.

If you have Sirius/XM, there are some good daily footy shows on there. I believe it's channel 94. I listen to that a lot on long drives, especially if Howard Stern is in reruns.

Yeah 94 has some pretty good stuff.

I also like to find the media interviews of coaches through team sites after games. Pretty fascinating stuff and i like to hear from the losing side a lot. Last season it seemed Martinez recorded his response to media after the first loss and replayed it all season regardless of the wuestioning. Turns out Martinez had the only "fabulous and unlucky" team in europe that didnt qualify for europe.

Expecting an actual coherent thought this season.

I'm in Vegas this week. Never gambled in my life but I'm about to bet $100 on Arsenal to win the league.

Here are the odds from Caesars Entertainment:

11/10 Chelsea
2/1 Man City
4/1 Man United
9/2 Arsenal
14/1 Liverpool
60/1 Tottenham
100/1 Southampton

Everyone else is 150/1 or worse.

I realize this money is as good as lost b/c Arsenal won't buy a friggin' premier striker! But I'm a glutton for punishment, so here goes!

COYG!!!!!

P.S. You can actually bet on preseason soccer here. That amazes me. There's a line for today's Chelsea vs Fiorentina match. If you're curious, Chelsea are heavy favorites, but no way I'm laying money on an exhibition match. Hell, Fiorentina just beat Barca last week. How the hell do they handicap matches like this?

Let's go you Reds!

Why are the Spurs scheduling themselves in the Audi Cup when the season starts in 3 days. The other three teams start their seasons in two weeks. Makes no sense unless they were offered a ton of money. There's no way a first teamed starts today or gets significant minutes.

Real/Bayern should be a good one this afternoon.

Just a reminder. My English in-laws and I have an EPL fantasy mini-league. The league code is 7573-37913 for anyone who wants to join. No prizes, just glory.

I'm in Vegas this week. Never gambled in my life but I'm about to bet $100 on Arsenal to win the league.

Here are the odds from Caesars Entertainment:

11/10 Chelsea
2/1 Man City
4/1 Man United
9/2 Arsenal
14/1 Liverpool
60/1 Tottenham
100/1 Southampton

Everyone else is 150/1 or worse.

I realize this money is as good as lost b/c Arsenal won't buy a friggin' premier striker! But I'm a glutton for punishment, so here goes!

COYG!!!!!

P.S. You can actually bet on preseason soccer here. That amazes me. There's a line for today's Chelsea vs Fiorentina match. If you're curious, Chelsea are heavy favorites, but no way I'm laying money on an exhibition match. Hell, Fiorentina just beat Barca last week. How the hell do they handicap matches like this?

I actually agree with the order of the top 6 there (although Arsenal/United flipping spots wouldn't be a shock either). However, i'd be very surprised if the Saints finish in the top 7 this campaign. They're in Europe and lost their most important player in Schneiderlin - they were completely different teams with and without him in the lineup.

EDIT: Spurs and Liverpool flipping 5th/6th wouldn't be a surprise either.

Visual confirmation that Arsenal transfer team is actually in Madrid today. May amount to nothing but if Benz goes then De Gea comes

I just started getting into EPL last year. Looking forward to tomorrow's games on TV. What's a good website besides Yahoo for game previews and stuff like that.

De Gea has been dropped against Tottenham because his head has not been in a good place this preseason.

Also, United drew Club Brugge in the CL while there are 3 outstanding CL ties:
Lazio v Bayer Leverkusen
Sporting v CSKA
Valencia v Monaco

Was interested to see Johannsson now moves to Werder Bremen in Das Budesliga. This should give him some excellent experience against much
tougher opponents than he was getting at AZ.

Happy opening day to everyone. This first quarter of this match was a little nervy with Tott controlling us and getting a few good chances. Looks like we've settled in some after the OG.

Manch, Darmian looks pretty wonderful... I'm loving the upgrade from Vakencia so far.

United can't be happy with their performance today; Ol' Whisky Nose certainly wasn't.
But, 3 points is 3 points, and that's what matters.

United can't be happy with their performance today; Ol' Whisky Nose certainly wasn't.

Never turn your nose up at 3 points. Remember the start U got off to last season.

Well, that was certainly an unsatisfying opener for my Blues. Chelsea should have had more than 2 goals before that ghastly send-off of Courtois @ 55'. Now the pressure is on frankly to get 3 the next match @ Man City with our back-up GK!

I'm certainly happy with the result and 3 points. We do definitely have a couple glaring spots that need to be addressed that stood out yesterday.

We need a true CB to pair with Smalling (who looks great). Blind, filling in for Jones, looks lost... as does Jones, still at times, when he's healthy.

Our attack looks pretty toothless and unimaginative the way we're set up. I don't get why LVG insists on playing Mata out wide instead of in the middle behind the striker. I know he's small, but it's just not working so well. I think if we do get Pedro, that may change our dynamics up front completely.

Obviously GK is an unknown right now with DeGea's future unknow and what we'll do if we sell him. Romero looked pretty good but scared the hell out of me when the ball was at his feet.

There are two areas where I hate dropping points, one is to the three newcomers and the other area is to the other 5 title contenders (Spurs, Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Arse). United didn't look sharp but at least their defense looked decent and promising. United lost their home opener to Swansea last year, so I will take 3 points over Tottenham any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

Chelsea has already dropped points and Arse is probably gonna drop some points today, too!

The table at ESPN FC has Newcastle beating Southampton 2-1, man do they suck.

Arsenal Face-plant.

Great start to the season boys.

Possibly worst of all, Alexis Sanchez saw the pitch, despite Wenger saying he would get an additional 10 days rest. He needed that rest. Oh well, it's only one match but certainly it's disappointing.

Beyond disappointing--that was mortifying. Now we know why Chelsea let Cech go. Josie must be laughing is ass off today. Horrible performance.

ADVERTISEMENT