ADVERTISEMENT

Another travel thread... Best Day Trips from Cancun???

wdnole

Star Player
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2006
Oviedo
Ok I'm going with family, but all adults to Cancun in a few weeks for 5 days and nights..... and want to do at least one, maybe two day excursions to some places nearby. I understand there are many to chose from....

I would personally love to see the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza, but I'm told its a little farther away than some of the other places.

I will have a rental car and be staying at one of the major resorts on the beach at Cancun.

Any experience/info?

I haven't been down there in at least 15 years, but at that point I recall chichen itza being about a 1.5-2 hour drive. Another option might be the ruins at Tulum. They aren't nearly as impressive as Chichen Itza but slightly closer and the drive is along the coast. There is a neat natural aquarium along the way there call Xel Ha. From a quick look, it appears Xel Ha ismuch more commercialized than when we stumbled across it years ago, but the snorkeling was real neat with all kinds of sea life. There are also a few cenotas you can explore at that location.

Another Fun day is taking the ferry over to isla mujeres. Depending on the age of your kids, renting scooters to explore the island is fun. There used to be two ferry's that ran to the island. One is the commercial touristy ferry and one that the locals use out of Punta Sam. I recommend the locals ferry. Last time we took it, we shared the boat with several chickens and a goat.

Hope this was helpful!

Reactions: wdnole
If you have a car then Uxmal and Tulum are fantastic day trips and imo better than the nearer Chichen Itxa and Coba. But by bus they're really too far.

Tulum/Coba. You can hire a driver for fairly cheap.

Or go snorkeling in Puerto Morales.

This place came highly recommended from a friend, and we were very happy.

We took a bus from our resort to Coba. Stopped on the way at some store and bought some stuff. The bus had beer and snacks, ect. It took a while, but it was cool. Coba is neat. I don't know how they hit that ball through those hoops with their hips.

We did a day trip that included Tulum and Xel Ha. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

We also did a day over at Isla Mujeres. After putting around there in a golf cart all day we wished we stayed there for a week and did a day trip to Cancun. It was awesome. Make sure to eat at The Joint if you go.

Chichen Itza was great. Can't speak for Tulum. Whatever you do, don't take a tour bus. They will make a half day trip into a 12 hour affair by picking up tourists at many hotels, stopping at some local grass hut to show you the local lifestyle and stopping at some tourist buffer restaurant after the pyramids. You can do the trip in 5-7 hours total.

If you scuba dive, the ceynotes "Cavern" dives are a must. Check with the local dive shops.

Chichen Itza was great. Can't speak for Tulum. Whatever you do, don't take a tour bus. They will make a half day trip into a 12 hour affair by picking up tourists at many hotels, stopping at some local grass hut to show you the local lifestyle and stopping at some tourist buffer restaurant after the pyramids. You can do the trip in 5-7 hours total.

If you scuba dive, the ceynotes "Cavern" dives are a must. Check with the local dive shops.

I will say Tulum is the best of the ancient ruins I've been to. The main pyramid is of course nowhere as imposing as those at Uxmal or Chichen Itza, but it's very elegant looking and you will not get better pictures than the two smaller buildings on the cliffs overlooking beautiful turquoise water. Plus the beach at Tulum is an amazing beach, just walk down 3 or 4 flights of stairs from the cliffs and then bam, beautiful beach surrounded by cliffs with tropical plants embedded. You'll also get some great shots of multiple species of large iguana running around the ruins and cliffside.

If you do go to Tulum, eat at Frosties. They have fantastic fish tacos and the house margaritas are ridiculously strong.

Great info... muchas gracias!

What about snorkling? None of us are divers but are all good swimmers and experienced snorkelers (whatever that means lol) and definitely want to get at least one good trip out on the water.

We will be in playa del Carmen area September 5 to 12. Staying at Secrets Capri. Will be doing some type of venture not sure what yet

Great info... muchas gracias!

What about snorkling? None of us are divers but are all good swimmers and experienced snorkelers (whatever that means lol) and definitely want to get at least one good trip out on the water.

We snorkeled in Puerto Morales.

In my opinion Xel Ha > Xcaret, although it is a bit further south.

For the best snorkeling you can do a day trip to Cozumel

So what was it about Xel Ha that you liked better than Xcaret? From what I've seen online, Xcaret looks a bit more artificial, if you will and Xel Ha more natural. Is that accurate?

So what was it about Xel Ha that you liked better than Xcaret? From what I've seen online, Xcaret looks a bit more artificial, if you will and Xel Ha more natural. Is that accurate?
Very accurate and that is the reason we chose Xel Ha. Less water park, more nature reserve. We wished we would have had even more time to explore. Everywhere you turn there is something new to explore, or jump off into the water.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT