ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever been through a divorce?

Osceola1728

Starter
Mar 29, 2002
Sadly, I don't think it will be too much longer before I do. Things have got proveessively worse over the past couple of years. I think we have grown apart and on top of that, I lost a good paying job a couple years ago that has put added financial stain on the marriage. I do have a full time job but when you go from 90k to 30k, it hurts the pocket and adds stress. I hope we can somehow put it back together but I just have a feeling that all is lost. Its almost like I'm 5 minutes into a movie and already know how it's going to end.

Been divorced about 2 years. Mine was not typical. Married 19 years, used a mediator, no attorneys. Cost $2000 and took 2 months.

"Stuff" is just that. Stuff. Not worth fighting over and giving thousands to the attorneys. We had plenty of assets too...house, savings, cars, 401k, kids. I am living proof amicable divorces can happen.

Last edited:
Sadly, I don't think it will be too much longer before I do. Things have got proveessively worse over the past couple of years. I think we have grown apart and on top of that, I lost a good paying job a couple years ago that has put added financial stain on the marriage. I do have a full time job but when you go from 90k to 30k, it hurts the pocket and adds stress. I hope we can somehow put it back together but I just have a feeling that all is lost. Its almost like I'm 5 minutes into a movie and already know how it's going to end.

Who hasn't? It sucks man. It's even worse with kids involved. If you both think money is tight now, wait till you are making 30K living separately.

My advice is too get involved in a good church. Go to counseling and make every effort to try and save your marriage. If you guys do everything and still can't reconcile, I recommend splitting everything down the middle. As soon as the ink is dry, go bang the youngest , hottest chick you can find.

Sorry your going through this.

Reactions: FSU-Tim
I finalized mine in April, started it last fall.

Was married for 13 years, 2 kids, and it just spiraled out of control quickly due to a couple of issues. Counseling only works if both parties are interested, otherwise don't waste your money paying some doucher to basically repeat your own thoughts to you.

Mine has been everything from contentious to questioning the whole ordeal.

My ex and I still talk, quite a bit, and not a lot of people get our odd relationship...

If you decide the counseling route Rick Brown in Orlando is nationally renowned. Find out about him when researching when we had some issues that we needed to work through and he appears to be a magic worker even for those that think they're "too for gone"

We worked through our issues on our own and things are a compete 180 now... but if ever need be, he'd be the guy I'd go to

Almost, we both had met with lawyers. My lawyer, who is a woman, told me to go to counseling and do everything I could to make it work. We went to a faith based counselor and everything is great now. Its never too late.
At the end of the day, I didn't want some other dude having any hand in raising my daughter. Good luck

I went through hell with my divorce. We fought over everything and paid insane legal fees. DON'T DO THAT!! It is just "Stuff" as others have said and in time you can obtain even better "Stuff". In the end I was the ultimate country music song. My ex got the house, kids, dog, Expedition, all the furniture, half the savings, half the checking account and a $15,000 CD. It was hard to deal with that and move on, but I did and now I have a much better home, a fantastic wife who truly loves and understands what a marriage should be and I am happier than I have ever been.

I highly recommend that you seek counseling of some sort before and after your divorce. If it helps your marriage great, it not then you must work on yourself to prepare for the next stage in your life. It took me 3 years before I started dating again and once I did I found many women my age(mid 40's) had never dealt with why they divorced and had plenty of baggage linked to their previous spouse. The key is finding the right person to offer counseling. There are all sorts out there, some good, many bad. The key for me was finding one that understood the military and more importantly the nature of my job and how that affects a family. My ex stopped going once she met someone else while we were seperated but I kept going and it really helped me transition to being single and eventually ready to date again and eventually meet my wife and as I said, things could not be better.

There is a korny movie called Fireproof with Kirk Cameron that shows some of the things that can take place when a couple is having a rough time and headed for divorce. Things like friends putting their 2 cents in, offering bad advice, men and women acting like friends who are nothing more than preditors strking when a person is their weakest, and couples feeling that there is no chance of saving their relationship with their spouse. The acting is not all that good the message is solid!

I hope that helps and I wish you the best.

Reactions: FSU-Tim
Tough deal bro, sorry you're going through it...

If you decide the counseling route Rick Brown in Orlando is nationally renowned. Find out about him when researching when we had some issues that we needed to work through and he appears to be a magic worker even for those that think they're "too for gone"

We worked through our issues on our own and things are a compete 180 now... but if ever need be, he'd be the guy I'd go to

Rick is a very nice guy & Florids State graduate.

I went through a divorce a couple of years ago. It was initiated by me because it was a relationship that I never should have been in from the start. I knew I didn't belong with her. At first, she was pissy about it and tried to make things difficult. She threw out the word "alimony" and, after showing her that our situation didn't meet legal requirements for alimony, that was dropped. She threatened to take the dog which I brought into the marriage. I took that off the table by registering the dog in a relative's name with the county. She tried the self righteous martyr act for a bit. I had to take a very stern line with her and had to constantly remind myself to remove emotion from it, which wasn't hard considering I wanted absolutely nothing to do with her at that point. We didn't own a home together, our assets were separate with the exception of a car and we didn't have any children. We were able to work it out on our own and we were able to draft a simple dissolution.

The funny thing is, I forgot that my ex-wife existed until someone mentioned her name at a party we had at our house. One of my buddies is married to one of my ex-wife's friends and she asked if I ever talk to the ex or have heard from her. I guess the look on my face basically said "who?"

I moved on, met someone, have been married to her for 2 1/2 years and we have a daughter who is almost 15 months old. I met my wife only a couple of months after my divorce was final. At that point, I had no desire to be married and was perfectly content being single. She changed that.

My advice is too get involved in a good church. Go to counseling and make every effort to try and save your marriage. If you guys do everything and still can't reconcile, I recommend splitting everything down the middle. As soon as the ink is dry, go bang the youngest , hottest chick you can find.

Sorry your going through this.

This apparently conflicting advice made me laugh and shake my head. Ts & Ps OP. Remember, it could be worse. You could be preparing to drive an RV into a moderately populated area of the country.

Reactions: 321Nole
Almost, we both had met with lawyers. My lawyer, who is a woman, told me to go to counseling and do everything I could to make it work. We went to a faith based counselor and everything is great now. Its never too late.
At the end of the day, I didn't want some other dude having any hand in raising my daughter. Good luck
I agree with this. Never too late to try as long as you are both willing to try.

Side note. It shows me how long I have been posting on this board when I see how many posters have gone from single to married to divorced (to married again for some). We know a lot about each other even if we only call each other by a screen name.

Osceola,
Sorry that's terrible. Honestly most of the advice I got through my divorce wasn't helpful. People don't really know what to say.

We did our divorce without any lawyers minus the final step which was required. Had to sell house and split debt we lost on it so financially, though fair it was a big hit starting over with debt. No kids btw, or pets involved.

We did try counsellors, one was great others were not but at that point it was too late and counselor helped us realize there was no point we wanted to move on.

Individually, on your own time it'll go something like.....depression and stress, then perspective and new long term goals, then appreciation and enjoying your freedom. Then to be determined.
Good luck, but if you're not happy move on, life is too short especially if no kids.

A long time friend of mine was going through a real rough patch with his wife 3 years ago. He didn't want to divorce even though some of our friends were telling him to. I recommended they get some counseling. If it didn't work, at least he can then leave the marriage knowing he did everything he could to save it. And years later, if his daughter asked, he could also tell her he did everything to save the marriage. 3 years later he and his wife are doing great. They learned they weren't truly communicating with each other. They were focusing on their business, it's troubles, and the financial problems from it and not on each other. I think they are happier now than at any point in their 14 year relationship.

If the outcome ends up being divorce and you trust your spouse, then hopefully you can split everything as amicably as possible with little input from legal advice.
If you don't trust her or are not sure if you can, then by all means get a lawyer. It will cost more now, but may save you loads in the future. I had a lawyer because I couldn't trust my ex one bit. She told so damn many lies. She even lied to the mediator. Her "attempt" to split everything evenly would have given her 80% of the assets. There was even a secret bank account with several thousand dollars I didn't find out about until the day before mediation. That was revealed only after my lawyer threatened to get a court ordered accounting of all assets since money appeared to be missing. I know that I am better off today because I had a bulldog of a lawyer in my corner making sure I was protected legally and financially then, now, and in the future from the ex wife. I don't remember the exact amount I spent, it was several thousand dollars, and worth every penny of it.

Been divorced about 2 years. Mine was not typical. Married 19 years, used a mediator, no attorneys. Cost $2000 and took 2 months.

"Stuff" is just that. Stuff. Not worth fighting over and giving thousands to the attorneys. We had plenty of assets too...house, savings, cars, 401k, kids. I am living proof amicable divorces can happen.

Great advice!

I have been divorced about 3 years, and moved out 4 years ago this month. Almost 20 years, 3 kids.

It is very, very hard. It's awful much of the time. I don't regret it (we tried everything and it did not work, and in hindsight the only real question is why it took so long). I wish we had done it a long time ago because the money side is awful after 20 years when the spouse hadn't worked.

If you know things are over, figure out the next steps. Don't take it lightly (does not sound like you are), but trying for trying's sake is not helpful to anyone. I agree with some of the advice on here - As hard as it is, try to be logical and not emotional; don't let day to day feelings take over, it will end and you will move on; try to keep some friendship with the ex if you have kids because no matter how you feel about her, she is their mom; do not underestimate how hard it is on the kids, even if they don't show it for a while; and finally be really careful about who you have as sounding boards because many people who think they understand everything don't have a clue and give horrible advice.

I would add to this, being divorced twice, but I have sons of mine on this site, so I defer except the following which has already been said.

Try to make it work. If your young, keep your debt low, money truly is a huge divorce factor. Besides, less debt usually equals more happiness. If nothing else, less debt, means less to deal with if you divorce.

Try some give and take, some honesty. Make no rash decisions without talking and or thinking them through.

I will admit, I was 75% or more at fault on both of mine.
Good luck

My divorce was as easy as they come. Both my ex and I thought it was best we move on. There were no real assets to split up or kids involved. Even with it being that simple it was still one of the hardest things I've had to go through.

Good luck, no real advice to give....just post pics of soon to be ex I guess.

Start working out and hiding assets now

I keed......

All those that had little assets and no kids, what you experienced was heartache and maybe a very bad experience. But like many athletes and rich people with children, marriage is something straight out of hell. There is no "using psychology" with an evil vindictive person out to get everything and destroy you. My buddy was making 150K, married for 3 years and had a 2 year old daughter. She was screwing around the whole time, in fact during the separation she claimed he wasn't the father, turns out (to her surprise) he was. I watched him get accused of being violent, abusing to his daughter and a drug dealer. She demanded everything or else she was going to accuse him of child molesting, and according to her "there's no way you'll ever see your daughter again, even if they don't charge you with anything". Her family got involved, her FAT UGLY mother called the police and accused him of assault when he picked up his daughter. That lie cost her since he actually had a recording device on during the pick up because of her repeated threats.
He finally got wise and spend some coin on a private investigator and had his ex and her family tailed, lets just say that her big fat mouth did her in. Still, he was joint custody and she got a chunk, not even close to what she demanded. He went from 220 pounds to 170, it wasn't pretty. The court ordered the grandmother to not be alone with the girl and the judge called her "twisted".
My advise? Try what you can, but be civil, but if she starts going the "I'm going to ruin you" route, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!

Are you 2 in more or less same age range? How long ya been married?

<ahem> Uh, it is a rule and all.....

All those that had little assets and no kids, what you experienced was heartache and maybe a very bad experience. But like many athletes and rich people with children, marriage is something straight out of hell. There is no "using psychology" with an evil vindictive person out to get everything and destroy you. My buddy was making 150K, married for 3 years and had a 2 year old daughter. She was screwing around the whole time, in fact during the separation she claimed he wasn't the father, turns out (to her surprise) he was. I watched him get accused of being violent, abusing to his daughter and a drug dealer. She demanded everything or else she was going to accuse him of child molesting, and according to her "there's no way you'll ever see your daughter again, even if they don't charge you with anything". Her family got involved, her FAT UGLY mother called the police and accused him of assault when he picked up his daughter. That lie cost her since he actually had a recording device on during the pick up because of her repeated threats.
He finally got wise and spend some coin on a private investigator and had his ex and her family tailed, lets just say that her big fat mouth did her in. Still, he was joint custody and she got a chunk, not even close to what she demanded. He went from 220 pounds to 170, it wasn't pretty. The court ordered the grandmother to not be alone with the girl and the judge called her "twisted".
My advise? Try what you can, but be civil, but if she starts going the "I'm going to ruin you" route, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!

In cases like this, I have to wonder what the signs were before they got married.

Had my nicest, most mild mannered friend get accused of being abusive during his divorce. Same deal with being told he might not be his daughters father (he was). In his case the signs were definitely there before they got married.

10 years later and he's got full custody of his kid, a new nicer and prettier wife, and his ex is nowhere to be found.

Get rid of her as quickly as possible. Use your economic downturn to your advantage. It is actually better to split now -- when you are down financially -- than it was when you had a bigger income.

Invoke Rule 3-F: if it flies, floats or (fornicates), just rent it.

Never look back.

Had my nicest, most mild mannered friend get accused of being abusive during his divorce. Same deal with being told he might not be his daughters father (he was). In his case the signs were definitely there before they got married.

10 years later and he's got full custody of his kid, a new nicer and prettier wife, and his ex is nowhere to be found.
Osceola you should get advice from this guy. Sounds like he is much happier now and he was able to off his ex without a trace.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Divorce was finalized last month. It was not fun lets say that. Was married 8 years with 2 kids. Supported her for those 8 years and then when she finally got a stable job she served me papers. Marriage was bad from the beginning and we went to counseling but like others have said if one party isn't making an effort then it isn't even worth it. Mine wasn't, everything that was bad in our marriage was my fault and I believed it for the longest time. First 3 months after being served were bad, a lot of heart ache and pain. However, after that the only thing that I miss is my kids. I was a truly invested dad and now I get them 50/50, it sucks but at least I got them half the time.

Divorce wise. Remember this..... the minute someone files for divorce that person is by all accounts your enemy until the paper is signed. I was too nice about a lot of things and was still pining for her a while and she took advantage. Don't do that. She is out of your life the minute you decide to divorce and you have to look out for numero uno and your well being for the rest of your life.

Life is starting over for me and it is both scary and exciting. If I could have one thing to complete my happiness it would be full custody of the kids. As is I do the best I can and make my time with them as special as possible. They are doing great (ages 3 and 7) and hopefully down the road they will know that I did everything possible to make it work and she didn't want it. Will never speak an ill word about their mother and eventually they will realize their mom isn't quite right upstairs.

This is one thing that Noles and Gators both can say sucks. My advice after going through 2 is this.

1. Attorney's are NOT your friend. They are $300 or so an hour friends. You email them and it costs you
$50. They call you and it's $300. Limit contact to the major issues.
2. It there are kids involved and you are a man, you have to fight like hell for your rights be it time sharing,
alimony or custody. The family law courts still favor women.
3. You will see a woman who you never knew if it's a disputed divorce. If you think "So help you God" might
stop her from lying, well I know many who saw their wife lie their ass off.
4. Before you choose your atty. go to AVVO or ask for rec. from friends and any attys you may know. A bad
atty. can screw up your life for many, many years.

Divorce sucks. But, so does living with someone you no longer love and like.

Speaking of divorce, anyone else find it hypocritical that a prominent FSU employees' current situation can't be discussed on Warchant? I mean there were 1000 threads on the JW issues where allegations,accusations and a lot of he said she said was being thrown around that had legal implications but an adult employee's situation that has no legal implications, is off limits?

I got a divorce and it was a good thing. However, there were no children involved and it was a truly viscious relationship that I should not have been in. I think these things are heterogeneous and if you've had stressors in play (eg the financial thing you mentioned) and developed negative patterns around that it can be challenging to dig out of. I think counseling is a good idea. I would also consider this. Regardless of whether you divorce or not.

Be kind. Control your affect. Don't lose your temper.

Watch how you communicate. Try to avoid blaming statements "you always....you never".

Work on your self. Work out. Eat well. Try to engage socially.

Be mindful. Detach from the stress.

Ah yes. The legal end of the process. I mostly avoided lawyers, negotiated and wrote the dissolution myself. I had a lawyer friend of mine review it to make sure I worded things well enough to protect myself. I also consulted with a lawyer to see what they thought the likely outcome would be if we went to court in terms of settlement. I substantially beat that settlement number and didn't have to pay lawyer fees. It was still a difficult battle. The trick to it to me was to understand a few things.

1) once the decision to divorce is made, the game is a business negotiation. In my case, I had pretty much zero positive regard for my ex wife at the time of separation. I can say that has not changed. I don't miss her and it would be a nightmare to me should I be somehow transported back in time or forced to live within the confines of that relationship for a day.

2) given 1, devise negotiation strategy. What are your targets? For me, we had relatively little in assets (both of us were in various stages of graduate education and low paying internships and postdocs for most of our marriage) and a rather stifling amount of debt pertaining to her doctorate education and ridiculous spending habits (she racked up about 25k in credit card debt). My goal was to pay as little of the 120k of debt as possible. Her goal was to make me "be the man" and pay all of it. I effectively walked away w 10k in debt. In court, I was at risk for being on the hook for 60k (usually student loans stay with the person, but she didn't get only student loans). In total, from the start to finish, the process took 6 months.

3) Emotion is the enemy in a business negotiation. Your opponent's emotion is a tool. Being mindful, calm and strategically in control of what you present, how you present, and as many factors pertinent to the situation (venue, definition of argument, etc) as possible is how you give yourself the best chance to get what you want. The emotional driving motivation to me was that I badly didn't want to be on the hook for paying for her graduate school and her poor financial decisions. My ex was an emotional creature, mostly devoid of rationality in that her emotions drove her views of objective reality. Fortunately, she was predictable. Her motivations would be egocentrically driven. She was narcissistic. So, what I did is, in communications with her when we separated, I projected that I was struggling (I was partying and mostly kicking arse) and I encouraged her to date (she was of Catholic origin and had familial pressures to not date while married, but she was also incapable of being alone; thus this was a huge issue for her). I did not engage her in any sort of argument. I suggested, helpfully, worst case scenarios in court if she followed through with her often uttered threats to take me to court. I projected that I didn't mind going to court. But, that it would be a headache, cost us both money, and it might turn out in a way we didn't want.

The years of living in a very stressful marriage were damaging to me on many levels that I wasn't aware of in the moment. Emotional strife is bad for you. A bad marriage can literally kill you. Getting rid of my ex wife was a jolt of life energy and completely changed my life for the good. Some things are cliches. But, they are good things. If you've slid at all, get into good physical shape. Experience new things. Basically, live well. Regardless of the outcome for you, live well now. Step back, take a look at what you're doing. What's good? What's bad? What makes you happy? I think the counseling idea is a good one.

This ADVISE is MONEY

Speaking of divorce, anyone else find it hypocritical that a prominent FSU employees' current situation can't be discussed on Warchant? I mean there were 1000 threads on the JW issues where allegations,accusations and a lot of he said she said was being thrown around that had legal implications but an adult employee's situation that has no legal implications, is off limits?
the problem is someone throws into the discussion things that have nothing to do with whether he will leave or not. They throw in rumors which they have heard and may oy may not be true. That causes threads to get deleted.

I am sure there is FSU staff and possibly even Jimbo himself that might occasionally read these boards. So if the topic stayed on will Jimbo leave if his wife decides to leave with kids or what are the legalities on whether she could do this or not, then maybe the thread would stay. But someone comes in and says I heard this or that for being the reason for divorce and boom thread is gone.

I was a mental health counselor for nearly 40 years and specialized in working with couples. I wish I could say that I was a couple's first resort...unfortunately, more often that not, I was a couple's last resort. No one wakes up one morning and thinks, "I know what I'll do today. I'll file for divorce." Generally, divorce is something one (or both) partner has thought about, contemplated for a long time. When the option of divorce is finally openly discussed, the partner who is being left pleads with their spouse to give counseling a try. In my experience, the partner who is leaving agrees to counseling as a form of appeasement...so, they can tell themselves they tried everything; so they can get their spouse into seeing a therapist and make the abandoned spouse (and the despair of the abandoned spouse) someone else's problem; to alleviate their own guilt, etc. It was pretty rare for me to have a couple come in for counseling at the first sign of trouble, when both partners were, essentially, still emotionally invested in the marriage. In my experience, by the time most couples got to my office, while they both might be physically present, one partner had checked out emotionally long before I ever saw them. I did not often do marriage counseling; I was more often engaged in divorce counseling, assisting couples in going their separate ways with as little emotional damage as possible.

It was always satisfying when folks came in still invested in their relationship, because then I was genuinely able to help them get to a better place with each other.

No not at all. In fact quite the contrary. I find it troubling that so many people want to discuss someone else's deeply personal current situation.
Not that I disagree but it wasn't an issue discussing JW's sex life for months.
My guess is that someone(from FSU) told someone(Warchant) they better not see or hear about any threads about it.

Not that I disagree but it wasn't an issue discussing JW's sex life for months.
My guess is that someone(from FSU) told someone(Warchant) they better not see or hear about any threads about it.

The problem was people couldn't stay on topic without posting rumors or speculating in the threads they tried to leave open.

If it stayed on topic for what you wanted to discuss specifically about whether Jimbo may leave FSU or not because of divorce and if ex wife is allowed to move with kids out of state without Jimbo's permission, then the thread might stay, but too many posters come in with irrelevant or unconfirmed info to the topic which is the problem. Even per the pinned thread in the TC:

"We tried letting one thread go that mentioned the report but every other post had to be deleted. Obviously there's no way this subject can be discussed with any decorum on this board. As such, it is off limits."

You may be able to try discussing hypothetical divorce situations without getting into reasons for divorce and just ask about legalites 1 spouse has to be able to move kids out of the area if the other spouse has been the breadwinner and is paying alimony and child support or not and if that matters.

ADVERTISEMENT