ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone following the story of the two teens missing at sea?

It doesn't seem to make much sense to allow kids under a certain age to go boating alone. I mean there's no financial reason for them to be doing so - it's not like they're going to their job at Publix, they clearly lack the training/sense to stay away from disasters. Kids that age can't drive cars, why would they be allowed to go out on a boat solo?

I'm a little baffled there are no laws against it / if there are, they aren't enforced.

I saw this earlier and kinda think to myself this guy has blood on his hands. The guy's a 20 year commercial vet and doesn't chase after these guys knowing what's coming (a huge ass storm)? I have to think if I was in that same situation that I would have stopped them and made them turn around or at least radioed the Coast Guard and kept an eye on them until they could intervene...

No way.

I saw this earlier and kinda think to myself this guy has blood on his hands. The guy's a 20 year commercial vet and doesn't chase after these guys knowing what's coming (a huge ass storm)? I have to think if I was in that same situation that I would have stopped them and made them turn around or at least radioed the Coast Guard and kept an eye on them until they could intervene...
He could have said something to them, and then they would have responded just every 14 year old would have, "Screw you old man!"

This is a common topic among captains and fisherman. It's so easy to make a life ending decision in a boat. Most people who die made a fundamental mistake that looks stupid to most people but everyone has made that same mistake. A life vest and gps would have saved these kids.

What does that mean? You like 2 then 1 but more of 2 after you been with 1?
He's going with method 2 (although with only two candidates the method is irrelevant). The mom on the right is no. 1, followed by the mom on the left.

Saw a blip that the found them. Walking in the Quarter so don't know if valid

Not seeing that anywhere.

I don't see that either but I did see that in searching for the missing ie dead Jax toddler they found two other sets of human remains. How many %^**ing people are missing in Jax? Apparently that city needs to be on the next True Detective.

2 Air Force PJ teams in Pavehawks out of Patrick here are on the hunt now. Not sure what they're expecting to find at this point, but I guess its a good training exercise at least.

I don't see that either but I did see that in searching for the missing ie dead Jax toddler they found two other sets of human remains. How many %^**ing people are missing in Jax? Apparently that city needs to be on the next True Detective.
I agree, and why did it take this toddler going missing to find these other two people? People go missing all the time, not just in Jax and we only hear of certain ones. Why? Why does the media get excited about one and not another. That sailor from 2003 probably had family, too. He was found about a mile from where he ate dinner with his friends. No one was diving in the retention ponds looking for him.

sorry, this just kinda bugged me.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Reminds me of the recent story where a lady was missing in FL. A guy does a google search on ponds in the area of her last text. He notices an oil sheen on the water and tells a cop, cop didn't give a crap and said he wasn't sending out a dive team. The guy says you don't need a dive team and puts a magnet on to a fishing line and it latches onto something. His friend swims down and finds a body in a car. Turns out the body was of another women missing from 1990, who was last seen at her work nearby. People are lazy and don't like to get wet, there are probably hundreds of bodies at the bottom of FL ponds as we speak, but it's easier to make a flier and faux cry about it on facebook.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

You can't run after every stupid boater. People up here (carrabelle) don't even know the basics when it comes to idling around shore and not waking a bunch of beached boats. There may be a moron born every minute but there is are 1000000 full stupid boaters for every 1 good one based on what I have seen in my life.

If you want to know if you fall into the crappy category ask yourself "Is boating easy and relatively stress free?" If you answer yes you are in the full retard category. And it has gotten WAY worse since I was a kid.

The parents ARE at least partially at fault in this case. I guarantee you they had taken those kids out in that single engine boat with not a care/stress in the world and that is learned behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BillWesJay
You can't run after every stupid boater. People up here (carrabelle) don't even know the basics when it comes to idling around shore and not waking a bunch of beached boats. There may be a moron born every minute but there is are 1000000 full stupid boaters for every 1 good one based on what I have seen in my life.

If you want to know if you fall into the crappy category ask yourself "Is boating easy and relatively stress free?" If you answer yes you are in the full retard category. And it has gotten WAY worse since I was a kid.

The parents ARE at least partially at fault in this case. I guarantee you they had taken those kids out in that single engine boat with not a care/stress in the world and that is learned behavior.
This was one small, ill equipped boat with two kids in it heading out to sea in rapidly deteriorating conditions while, in his words, EVERY OTHER BOAT WAS HEADING IN. One boat not hundreds. You would think a seasoned fisherman would have recognized this for what it was and done something to prevent a potential tragedy...

Reactions: BillWesJay
Right coast surfers and their dangerous waves are cute...:p. A friend took me to, I want to say, Coco Beach or somewhere over there...I told him I have seen bigger waves in a toilet bowl.

What a ridiculous statement. I've seen 20 foot faces in the gulf and flat in the pacific. There's surf and no surf all over the country every day. The biggest day I have ever been in the water was in the gulf. I was out one day with a hurricane in the gulf and it was head high and perfect, within 1 hour it was 3 times overhead, closing out, nasty. I freaked out, no way I was taking off on a wave. Luckily a set broke way out in front of me and i held the back of my board and laid down until I got drilled on the inside. I got to the beach and looked back, our pier is over 20 feet high and I saw a wave break on top of it. I went out in the water and Hurricane Opal was heading for Texas, got out and we were under a warning and it had turned towards us while I was in the water. We got slammed the next morning, major damage. I happily claim the title of wuss that day

Nobody is as stupid as drunk jet skiers on spring break.

Reactions: 75seminoles
It doesn't seem to make much sense to allow kids under a certain age to go boating alone. I mean there's no financial reason for them to be doing so - it's not like they're going to their job at Publix, they clearly lack the training/sense to stay away from disasters. Kids that age can't drive cars, why would they be allowed to go out on a boat solo?

I'm a little baffled there are no laws against it / if there are, they aren't enforced.

Jeeze Captain Nanny state. That's BS. I've been boating since I was a kid, I taught sailing at a summer camp in San Diego when I was in high school in Sunfish to kids as young as 6 (they weren't alone), but kids have to be trained in boater safety, reinforced by adults with discipline.

I did some pretty adventurous stuff in boats when I was a kid. I paddled a surf ski from the back bay in Newport Beach to Catalina Island when I was 13 (~26 miles of open ocean in a sit on top kayak), extremely dangerous? Yes, but properly trained, equipped and supervised - not so much.

It's up to parents to train and educate their kids, not to shelter them at all times and keep them from the boogie man.

Even with that, sometimes people die. All people die eventually.

I agree.....I was taking boats outs in my early teens but I had enough sense to say in the bay and not venture out into the ocean.

We don't need more nanny state.....we just need a small % of the population to exercise common sense.

Jamie remind me and I'll tell you the full story one day but here are the basics. One day way back when the whole family and I were out on the boat and the wave runner together we came in from Shell Island. We had never even been in Gran Lagoon that day. But I got accused of almost hitting another boat or swimmer in grand lagoon. They held us at the St Andrews marina for almost 2 hours while they brought the first one over from Grand lagoon id me in which case they did not and I was not the person obviously. Just the same color ski. I was indeed inebriated which was not a good idea but I was nowhere near anyone on the jetski. I was highly pissed by the end of the ordeal but did not get in any trouble since I did no wrong. I had others to drive that day

Jeeze Captain Nanny state. That's BS. I've been boating since I was a kid, I taught sailing at a summer camp in San Diego when I was in high school in Sunfish to kids as young as 6 (they weren't alone), but kids have to be trained in boater safety, reinforced by adults with discipline.

I did some pretty adventurous stuff in boats when I was a kid. I paddled a surf ski from the back bay in Newport Beach to Catalina Island when I was 13 (~26 miles of open ocean in a sit on top kayak), extremely dangerous? Yes, but properly trained, equipped and supervised - not so much.

It's up to parents to train and educate their kids, not to shelter them at all times and keep them from the boogie man.

Even with that, sometimes people die. All people die eventually.
Maybe we should repeal the legal driving age, drinking age, voting age as well -- I mean I could make better informed political decisions at 13 than most adults can now, I was a whiz at go carts and could hold my beer pretty well also.

Laws aren't made because of you, they're made because of the idiot kid who whips his boat into the marina and dings your boat up because he can't control his (or gets lost at sea in a storm).

Maybe we should repeal the legal driving age, drinking age, voting age as well -- I mean I could make better informed political decisions at 13 than most adults can now, I was a whiz at go carts and could hold my beer pretty well also.

Laws aren't made because of you, they're made because of the idiot kid who whips his boat into the marina and dings your boat up because he can't control his (or gets lost at sea in a storm).

I'm with FreeFly it's a nanny state.

This was one small, ill equipped boat with two kids in it heading out to sea in rapidly deteriorating conditions while, in his words, EVERY OTHER BOAT WAS HEADING IN. One boat not hundreds. You would think a seasoned fisherman would have recognized this for what it was and done something to prevent a potential tragedy...

That captain's able to put two and two together after the fact.

Do you think he looked over identified them as fourteen year olds and watched them long enough to confirm that they weren't just going out to the mouth and turning around or taking a right and heading down to the yacht club?

If any potential tragedy could have been prevented, it would have been at home.

We were 20+ miles offshore one day getting ready to do late afternoon dive when we saw a small boat coming towards us from the south. It was several miles away when we first noticed it. When it got closer we saw it was jet ski. He came up to us and wanted to know the directions back to the pass at Panama City. We tried to get him to wait and follow us in but he insisted on heading in. I guess he made it in as we never heard of a missing rider. I did not know those things had that much fuel range.

I'm with FreeFly it's a nanny state.
So you'd be favor reducing the driving/drinking/voting ages to 13 or 14 as well? Perhaps lower?

"Nanny state" is a bumper sticker line that gets thrown around without thinking of the consequences not having some of these laws. Perhaps in that so-called "nanny state" these two kids among others would still be alive.

Not that I boat much or ever expect to be in this situation. What should one do in this situation? It seems like you want to stay with something as big as possible to be able to be visible. So, is it best to stay with or near the boat if possible. If not, would it be best to get as many things that float and with high visibility and chain them together with you and your friend?

Not that I boat much or ever expect to be in this situation. What should one do in this situation? It seems like you want to stay with something as big as possible to be able to be visible. So, is it best to stay with or near the boat if possible. If not, would it be best to get as many things that float and with high visibility and chain them together with you and your friend?

About the only way people are ever found is if they manage to stay with the boat. I guess the 2nd best option is to do as you said, attach as many floating objects together as possible & stay on, or with, that.

One Full week was a very fair and gracious period to search.

There was a sci fi story once where any time a large plane was crashing, a few people on it were spirited away by aliens. They aliens got to abduct people, the people got to live, and no one on the ground noticed a few missing bodies.

Those poor kids are dead now.

---Unless spirited away by aliens, or taken into some secret undersea city run by Mermaids, or brought aboard by a modern day Captain Nemo.

About the only way people are ever found is if they manage to stay with the boat. I guess the 2nd best option is to do as you said, attach as many floating objects together as possible & stay on, or with, that.
My guess is that early on, in the storm on Friday, they were separated from the boat and drowned. It was a very violent storm. I doubt those guys would have ditched the boat on purpose...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT