ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watch the Glenn Campbell special on CNN?

F4Gary

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
Grapevine, Tx
Truly sad and amazing at the same time. Alzheimers. He can't remember anything, but hand him a guitar and put the words on a teleprompter and he can still do it. He can still play a guitar with the best of them and hasn't really lost his voice like so many other singers in their late 70's.

Reactions: tmw and KevNole
The gift of living a long life. You either watch friend after friend, family member after family member die, and in some cases badly. OR you lose your mind slowly the whole while knowing how hard it will be on your family while draining anything you saved your whole life.
Sometimes I think the devil got the final word on life, and he decided that the end would be filled with everything BUT the gold..

Didn't see it, but got to meet him a couple of times when I worked in Pasadena. He and his brothers had an insulation company. Really nice guy. Galveston is one of my favorite songs--sing it every time I cross the causeway bridge to the island.

Looks like it airs again on Saturday at 9ET on HLN (the old CNN Headline News).

I watched this program and walked away completely depressed. Alzheimers is an unforgiving disease and while I think his wife and children were very appreciative of the last music tour together, I still feel sorry for what they are going through. Very tough to watch towards the end.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
His work with Jimmy Webb is great.. Webb's albums are great too. Amazing how many songs he has written.

A great artist. Truly sad what that disease does. The song that was written and that he performs at the end about not remembering was very sad and touching. Wichita Lineman, Galveston, True Grit, Gentle on My Mind, By the Time I get to Phoenix, and Dreams of an Everyday Housewife were transcendent to music, not just 'country music'.

I saw it in my hotel room in Toronto and thought "Wow, this is a depressing way to end a vacation." I saw this segment on him on Sunday Morning On CBS in 2012. From what I've read recently he's now in a facility and can no longer speak for himself.

I lost two relatives to Alzheimer's, the one most recently was an aunt who lingered with the disease the last six years of her life.

Alzheimer's or chronic dementia has been a part of my life since the '90s. First my grandmother, then my dad, and now my mom. It is the long goodbye.
It is relentless.

This, along with Huntington's disease are the reason why I support assistant suicide. The only problem with this is that you'd have to do it when your relatively healthy since you couldn't give consent when you have no idea what's going on.

This, along with Huntington's disease are the reason why I support assistant suicide. The only problem with this is that you'd have to do it when your relatively healthy since you couldn't give consent when you have no idea what's going on.

I have no idea about Huntington's but my folks had moments of clarity and sound judgement right up to the end, but you never know when that will be. These moments are few in comparison to the overall loss of time and place but, when they come it is almost overwhelming. Somewhere trapped inside is that person whom you love so much.
I am on the fence about suicide, but think it should be up to the individual.

Alzheimer's or chronic dementia has been a part of my life since the '90s. First my grandmother, then my dad, and now my mom. It is the long goodbye.
It is relentless.

Very sorry brother. It's a brutal thing. Hopefully you have some siblings or other family members to help. Just horrible beyond description, and people who have not encountered it cannot really understand the challenge.

I saw it in my hotel room in Toronto and thought "Wow, this is a depressing way to end a vacation." I saw this segment on him on Sunday Morning On CBS in 2012. From what I've read recently he's now in a facility and can no longer speak for himself.

I lost two relatives to Alzheimer's, the one most recently was an aunt who lingered with the disease the last six years of her life.

Yes, he is now basically vegetative, immobile, wears diapers, etc. Horrible way to go. Making it worse -- but this is not unusual -- there is intra-family warring over his care, his money, etc. Just a tragic way to end a wonderful life. Wrecks many families.

It is relentless.

Man, that is tough. My condolences, that sounds like a lot of heartbreaking times and I can't imagine the pain having to go through it once, never mind a third time.

Man, that is tough. My condolences, that sounds like a lot of heartbreaking times and I can't imagine the pain having to go through it once, never mind a third time.

Thanks to you and Johnnie Holmes as well for the kind words. My grandad became immobile due to an injury, so grandmother spent her last year in a home, much to our regret. He could not watch after her and all family lived away. Visits were either great, or more likely excercises in trying to get her to respond to a confusing world.
My folks were both been able to be at their home, so the familiar surroundings helped them a lot. We have a big support group with 4 sons involved and a cousin who lives in the house. Home health has come a long way, and that is part of the mix.
I drive 400 miles to Tally every couple of weeks in the hopes of 15 or 20 good minutes with my mom and would not miss the chance. She gave so much to us...

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Thanks to you and Johnnie Holmes as well for the kind words. My grandad became immobile due to an injury, so grandmother spent her last year in a home, much to our regret. He could not watch after her and all family lived away. Visits were either great, or more likely excercises in trying to get her to respond to a confusing world.
My folks were both been able to be at their home, so the familiar surroundings helped them a lot. We have a big support group with 4 sons involved and a cousin who lives in the house. Home health has come a long way, and that is part of the mix.
I drive 400 miles to Tally every couple of weeks in the hopes of 15 or 20 good minutes with my mom and would not miss the chance. She gave so much to us...

Something good will happen to you. You are a good egg.

Reactions: billanole

that is a powerful statement and I truly hope you get as many of those 20 minutes as possible billanole

Reactions: billanole
It's always interesting watching family's of the rich and shameless fighting over money while pretending it's the "principle". Seeing Robin Williams kids fighting the new wife is classic, but seeing how UGLY Kassey Kasem's death and inter family fight turned out is horrible.
BTW, Billanole, Huntington's is a lot like LGD, it usually hits at 40 and is extremely fast acting. They have a test for it now, they can test if you'll get it. The sadist thing I saw was a TV show that have 4 siblings tested for it since their father died. They each had a 50/50 chance, only 1 tested positive, he was about 21. No cure, no treatment, he knows that in about 20 years his life will be over..

ADVERTISEMENT