ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone work in the Movie business (with the actors)?

Dr. Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2002
Do these actors learn/memorize all their lines before they show up to "shoot" (like you would need to do for say a live play)

Or do they review the lines before each scene as they go along? I imagine it's a bit of both.

Originally posted by MathisJones:
One of my friends was a regular in Justified. I'll ask her how she does it or how some of her co stars do it.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Thanks.

Originally posted by MathisJones:
One of my friends was a regular in Justified. I'll ask her how she does it or how some of her co stars do it.
Mathis- did you used to have a different screen name? It seems like I recall someone on here knowing Joelle Carter but it seemed like it was a LR regular and a name I recognized. If it was you, my apologies for not remembering.

One of my daughters is just starting out and I was on set with her for her first shoot and it seemed to be a mix of a little bit of both. I was surprised by how often the director stopped the scene and made changes and I didn't notice him consulting with any writers before doing so.

Doesn't answer the question but on the topic I could remember reading how Will Smith would memorize the entire cast of Fresh Prince's lines and can even be noticed moving his lips some while saying them in his head during certain scenes of earlier episodes.

Originally posted by NoLe081:
Doesn't answer the question but on the topic I could remember reading how Will Smith would memorize the entire cast of Fresh Prince's lines and can even be noticed moving his lips some while saying them in his head during certain scenes of earlier episodes.

Ha! I used to notice this too.

Depends on the director and the line. Monologues are always memorized. I think some things are improvised but they have to memorize the lines ahead of time but they are given direction to give it their own flair. I'm guessing in most comedies you'll have more of the latter. In dramas and action movies it's a little more scripted out, thus memorized.

I read that most would memorize their lines, except a few like Robert De Niro, who would read the script and then ad lib as he went on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT