ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone's kids into rowing?

Bartdog

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2002
Jax
I started to post this on the general sports board, but kids' activities are often discussed in the LR, so here goes.

I'm putting this in here for a number of reasons. 1. My daughter is loving it. B. I thought some of the dads in here might be interested, since it is a sport that is still not too difficult to get a scholly in, especially for girls. and 3. Capital City Rowing (CCR) right there in Tallahassee, is doing pretty well in district and state competitions these days. I see a lot more out of them this year than I did last year (just personal observation).

There is quite a large crew club here in Melbourne. My daughter is 3, but when she is bigger I will certainly introduce it to her. I rowed in the crew club at FSU. It was a lot of fun, and probably some of the best shape I've been in in my life.

Reactions: Bartdog
I rowed for Winter Park in high school. The men's and women's teams just won another state championship this weekend. Two of the guys I rowed with are now the coaches.

I remember being impressed by the number of teams from the Tallahassee area when I wad in school. Rowing is a great sport and an even better way for girls to get scholarships. I have several friends who went to Wisconsin on rowing scholarships. Good luck to your daughter and her team next year!

I rowed for Winter Park in high school. The men's and women's teams just won another state championship this weekend. Two of the guys I rowed with are now the coaches.

I remember being impressed by the number of teams from the Tallahassee area when I wad in school. Rowing is a great sport and an even better way for girls to get scholarships. I have several friends who went to Wisconsin on rowing scholarships. Good luck to your daughter and her team next year!
Yeah, Winter park did very well. I think they won the scholastic trophy, or best school based team or something like that. I think Sarasota Crew IIRC had the most overall points. Our little club was just excited to have one gold medal boat (boys varsity 4) and one silver (girls junior 8).

Yeah, Winter park did very well. I think they won the scholastic trophy, or best school based team or something like that. I think Sarasota Crew IIRC had the most overall points. Our little club was just excited to have one gold medal boat (boys varsity 4) and one silver (girls junior 8).

That's a very impressive result for a smaller club, especially when you consider how much the sport has grown in the last 15 or so years. It sounds like your daughter is receiving good coaching. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate the make a post about them, if I can't answer, them I definitely know people who can.

That's a very impressive result for a smaller club, especially when you consider how much the sport has grown in the last 15 or so years. It sounds like your daughter is receiving good coaching. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate the make a post about them, if I can't answer, them I definitely know people who can.
I do have a question, very specific, about regionals coming up at Lake Lanier. Maybe you or @FreeFlyNole can answer some basic lodging/parental logistics questions. Like, is it easy to get in and out, do people brin bicycles, are there good places to take pictures, etc. At states we bring our bikes because sometimes we have to park in BFE and you can also go to the other side of the race course and follow on your bike. It's pretty cool.

I've never been to regionals so I can't comment from experience, but I did go to the Lake Lanier Rowing Club website and poked around a bit. I'm not sure how easy it is to get to the opposite bank, but there does appear to be lots of prime viewing set up because it was the site of the 96 Olympics. I'm in the camp of bikes are always a good idea. My high school coach use to use his bike to follow the race all the way down the course and I have seen others do this as well. I'd rather have a bike and not need it than the other way around.

http://www.lakelanierrowing.org/

My step son is in CCR. I think they just took silver this past weekend at the state thing.

I like it. My older daughter did it for a little while and didn't like it. I wish she had because there are a lot of scholarships available. My step son has it made - he lives with his dad in Philly for the summers so he does the UPenn crew camp. He's getting very good and gets a lot of looks because of recruiters up there.

It's a ton of work but it's great for discipline. I am very proud of how he's done so far.

Well, they had regionals in Lake Lanier this past weekend and she and her partner got third in the lightweight double. She is super stoked to have a medal from a regional event. Now we're looking at nationals. YIKES.

Reactions: tbdnole_70_08
IMG_4940_zpszad2mphz.jpg

I saw this in the starbucks by my house, I figured you may be interested.

IMG_4940_zpszad2mphz.jpg

I saw this in the starbucks by my house, I figured you may be interested.
Cool. thanks. Yeah, they are one of the teams they compete against. Her team also has a camp like that and she volunteers at the beginners weeks. It's a big recruiting tool for them.

Right now we're looking at spending ~$1,000 to get her to nationals. It's just too good of an opportunity to turn down. It's in Florida this year instead of Cali, there's no guarantee they'll qualify next year, or ever again, for that matter. So her "camp" this year will be the additional four weeks of training to get ready for nationals.

Last year we did send her up to Annapolis for their camp and she LOVED it. I think she might actually want to go there for school some day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT