ADVERTISEMENT

Are solar farms more of a danger than part of the solution?

divinnole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
With up to 900 degrees heat generation, high number of deaths to birds, susceptibility to severe damage in storms, high cost of construction are they more of an issue than a solution?

Reactions: bigmamanole
With up to 900 degrees heat generation, high number of deaths to birds, susceptibility to severe damage in storms, high cost of construction are they more of an issue than a solution?

Yes. Until the power storage issue is resolved, and it's on the same time schedule as fusion, solar for anything other than individual power supplementation or off the grid living is a bad idea.

Friend of mine had solar installed. Got a decent tax credit. Had to have several trees taken out. The cost of which they rolled into the 20 year financing of the project.
His utility bill is next to nothing.
Like $20 a month.
However when taking into account the monthly payment on the system he’s really not saving much.
Also it’s not like he has power when the grid goes down like after Michael which mortally sucked.
Battery backup required for that luxury would have been another ten grand.
So other than reducing the old carbon footprint thing really not much to say for it.
Too bad really. Some areas it really makes sense. Just not enough incentive for me.

This doesn’t get talk about enough. I think hydroelectric power should be revisited as well.
I am pretty sure the powers that be have done a good job of scaring the crud out of the general public regarding Nuclear power...you know, the China Syndrome movie, Three Mile Island etc...

Reactions: GbrNole and goldmom
While I know FL is known as the sunshine state I don't see how they are a wise investment for out state. Everyone I know with solar panels had total loses with Michael. Even without the hurricanes we have so many violent storms every year and a lot of hail. A friend of mine worked at a solar farm in south Ga and even it sustained significant damage with Michael. Another thing he talked about was the incredible reflective heat put off by the panels. When we have 10s of 1000s of acres covered with those things, what kind of impact will that have have a climate change?

We have bought some property on a lake and are getting ready to start building. I have been in talks with a guy who installs solar units. It is will run between 40-50K to go fully solar. The units will have a 20-25 year life span. Plus we will need to remove six very beautiful oak trees off the property. Does not add up to me as a good investment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT