ADVERTISEMENT

Atlanta United FC

FSUdawg

Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
I saw mention of the new team name in another thread, but not a lot of discussion. While driving around yesterday it was the main topic of conversation on Sirius/XM FC 94, so I thought I would check to see what everyone around here thinks.

Personally I think they took the easy way out and were lazy. Does the name attempt to associate the club with larger and more tradition laden teams in Europe by using United? Yes. However, they are missing the mark as teams with United typically are due to multiple clubs combining at some point in history, which Atlanta is not doing.

I do like the fact they used FC since they used United are are naming the team in a similar fashion to a European club. If they decided to go the American route and be something like the Atlanta Eagles or something like that, then I would agree with SC for soccer club.

Anyone else have any views on this, or even care?

I was hoping they'd keep the Silverbacks name--Atlanta Silverbacks FC. If I'm not mistaken, Blank already owns the 'Backs. Of course, I also wish they'd built a soccer-specific stadium where the Silverbacks play now, putting them right in the middle of all the suburban North Atlanta youth leagues. Once the novelty wears off, I'm afraid people are going to quit going downtown to see the games unless the team is really, REALLY good from the get-go. Hope I'm wrong. As for the name, as long as the word "Gator" wasn't anywhere in it, I was OK.

I would have preferred SC but that's just me--- I love what Orlando did.

I didn't realize that Blank owned the Silverbacks. We like going to their games but I fear that they will be no more when United starts. Our allegiance will clearly go to the MLS team first (over the Silverbacks).

I prefer the location that United will be playing at-- at least there is some public transit. Don't get me started on the Braves moving to Cobb Co.

I didn't realize Blank also owned the Silverbacks. Maybe the intention is to merge the two clubs at some point down the road, in which case United makes perfect sense.

As for the location, I hate that it will be downtown in a large stadium with turf instead of natural grass. I have the same fear as Ed regarding attendance. Unless the team is really good from the start, I don't see them having good attendance numbers downtown for very long.

I didn't realize Blank also owned the Silverbacks. Maybe the intention is to merge the two clubs at some point down the road, in which case United makes perfect sense.

As for the location, I hate that it will be downtown in a large stadium with turf instead of natural grass. I have the same fear as Ed regarding attendance. Unless the team is really good from the start, I don't see them having good attendance numbers downtown for very long.

The MLS has tried the suburbs and it hasn't taken to the suburban markets the way one would think. The Supporters Groups are mostly young urban professionals. I don't like the turf though. But hey they are playing the WWC on it right now in Canada :)

I don't think Blank owns the silverbacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Silverbacks --- it says the NASL owns them.
The silverbacks will fold when the MLS team starts.

the silverbacks used to be owned by an Atlanta layer, john latham. they had some fiancial troubles and i think they are owned by the league now. I think they might have gotten relegated to a lower league as well.

Blank used to own the arena football team, and it folded. when the league reincarnated he didn't bother with another arena team--there really is no point.

the one thing interesting about the Silverbacks is that Eric Wynanlda is inovled as the GM.

Atlanta could have potentially included a few more cliche'd names from soccer. I think "Real Sporting Atlanta City United FC" has a good ring to it.

Reactions: fsUTampa
_PGQGqaA.png

the silverbacks used to be owned by an Atlanta layer, john latham. they had some fiancial troubles and i think they are owned by the league now. I think they might have gotten relegated to a lower league as well.

Blank used to own the arena football team, and it folded. when the league reincarnated he didn't bother with another arena team--there really is no point.

the one thing interesting about the Silverbacks is that Eric Wynanlda is inovled as the GM.

Your first part is correct. Silverbacks had private ownership but ran into trouble a few years ago and finally the league bought the team last year. They are looking for new private ownership, which means, the team will likely fold in the not to distant future because who will buy the team when the new MLS team starts? They have not been relegated though, still NASL.

I don't think the NASL has a huge future moving forward. The MLS is clearly the top league in the US regardless of what the New York Cosmos try to claim. Add in the fact that the MLS is now highly invested into USL Pro with almost every team either owning a separate side or aligning with a USL team as their effective Minor Leagues and you wind up with a formula for those two leagues to continue to have success while the NASL gets left out in the wind.

Reading the announcement of the team name and logo today, I was stunned that this team has committments for 22,000 tickets. These are folks who paid to join the Founders Club and reserved up to 8 season tickets in return. I'm sure plenty will actually purchase less than they list originally, but that's sure to be picked up by newcomers. If this would stand, according to MLS, only Seattle with 33,000 would have more season ticket holders. I certainly hope this enthusiasm holds up. (One nice thing about their procedure is that you could reserve your seats in certain sections; my 4 will be in the Supporters Section, where all the rowdies should be located).

There's a much bigger group of soccer fans in the South than people realize. Orlando has proven that the market can work here. I hope to see Atlanta replicate our success in Orlando.

There's a much bigger group of soccer fans in the South than people realize. Orlando has proven that the market can work here. I hope to see Atlanta replicate our success in Orlando.

I hope so too. And I hope a sort of rivalry starts between the two, as Orlando will be the closest team to Atlanta in MLS. Not an easy drive, but I've driven farther to see the Noles, so.....

I hope so too. And I hope a sort of rivalry starts between the two, as Orlando will be the closest team to Atlanta in MLS. Not an easy drive, but I've driven farther to see the Noles, so.....

It will definitely become a rivalry. Orlando City tried to make NYCFC a rival due to coming into the league at the same time, but obviously NYCFC has already latched onto the Red Bulls (and obviously partly thanks to the media) as their main rival. With the Miami Beckham's looking like they'll fall through, Atlanta would be a natural fit for a rival for both squads.

There is still a bit of a rivalry with NYCFC, but its not going to be a huge one due to the geographic distance and I don't think it will last beyond a few years. The Red Bulls are their obvious rival as they're in the same division and city. Well, not technically as Red Bulls are actually in Jersey. It is funny to see the Cosmos fans jump into the debates and try to claim superiority over both teams though.

"With the Miami Beckham's looking like they'll fall through"

What? Forgive my ignorance, I thought that was a done deal?
As far as I can tell, it's anything but. Beckham has been begging for more investors and a stadium, none of which is happening from what I've read.

I certainly look forward to the Atlanta team. And I agree, there are a lot of soccer fans in the South. I live in Columbus, Georgia and whenever I wear my Arsenal shirt, someone makes a knowledgeable comment. Not always a flattering comment as there are some Spurs fans around here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT