ADVERTISEMENT

Audi has invented diesel fuel made from CO2 and water

Meh... I'm sure its highly government subsidized as are the "green" energy sources used for its production. This is all smoke and mirrors.

The oil lobby will squash this this like they did the electric car back in the 70s...

No, I meant what I said. The technology has been around for decades...

I know the technology has ben around, but the hold-ups were batteries...........have you seen 'Who Killed the Electric Car'? It pisses me off every time I catch it on.

frontpage2.jpg

My favorite is the claim that a carburetor was invented allowing cars to get 100 miles a gallon that the oils companies supposedly made disappear.

I know the technology has ben around, but the hold-ups were batteries...........have you seen 'Who Killed the Electric Car'? It pisses me off every time I catch it on.

frontpage2.jpg

Have not but I need to. As I was alluding to in the gas thread the oil lobby is the debil. As are the other big lobbies...

Wow, if we could elliminate the need for fossil fuels, think of what that would do to the middle east. The price of sand would drop to nearly nothing, we could reinforce all of our beaches by 100 yards.

My favorite is the claim that a carburetor was invented allowing cars to get 100 miles a gallon that the oils companies supposedly made disappear.

The Pouge carburetor.........supposedly it did get great gas mileage and he did get a patent for it, and he did end up designing oil filters.

The Pouge carburetor.........supposedly it did get great gas mileage and he did get a patent for it, and he did end up designing oil filters.
Never proven, and never duplicated, and never suppressed by the oil companies. There was the Fish carburetor that got around 20% better mpg. Made in Daytona and used by Fireball Roberts in NASCAR. It was not suppressed by the oil companies either.

I think we will run out of water before we run out of fossil fuel, so...

Never proven, and never duplicated, and never suppressed by the oil companies. There was the Fish carburetor that got around 20% better mpg. Made in Daytona and used by Fireball Roberts in NASCAR. It was not suppressed by the oil companies either.

I never said anything was suppressed..........but it definitely raises some eyebrows that right after he got those patients.

On a different, were you effected by some IPad virus that was messing with Flight Plans?

I never said anything was suppressed..........but it definitely raises some eyebrows that right after he got those patients.

On a different, were you effected by some IPad virus that was messing with Flight Plans?
No, I retired 3 years ago. Never got to use an IPad. Still had the 40lb kit bag.

So, what will this potentially do to the availability of fresh water? Will the burning of the fuel result in a return to liquid water?

you guys should read a book that came out a few years ago called Abundance, which is about the implications of various exponential technologies. basically that idea that clean water, energy, healthcare may be unlimited in a generation if you extrapolate current technologies which have demonstrated an exponential rather than linear growth rate.

frontpage2.jpg

I try to avoid one-sided propoganda ("documentaries"). can you summarize? how can you say they killed the electric car? I see them every day in Atlanta - Teslas, Nissan Leafs, etc. These cars are highly subsidized and still are not a good deal. The real problem with these cars is that you can't quickly recharge them - i.e. overnight, rather than instantaneous - and the battery life is about 3 years. when batteries are improved they may make more sense, but not yet.

I try to avoid one-sided propoganda ("documentaries"). can you summarize? how can you say they killed the electric car? I see them every day in Atlanta - Teslas, Nissan Leafs, etc. These cars are highly subsidized and still are not a good deal. The real problem with these cars is that you can't quickly recharge them - i.e. overnight, rather than instantaneous - and the battery life is about 3 years. when batteries are improved they may make more sense, but not yet.

It's not as one sided as you would think because at the end they do talk about the hydrid revolution springing up out of the ashes of the EV1............you can get a good summary online here:

I don't know how you can say the electric car was killed as i see them on the road every day.

ironically, the guy who did the most to halt electric cars was Ralph Nader. Before he became every leftie's favorite Presidential candidate, his favorite cause was auto safety. He wrote the book, Unsfafe at Any Speed. He is the reason why American cars have so many safety features and, as a result, are heavier than the same cars sold overseas. That was a trade off - safety for fuel efficiency. There is not a right or wrong answer, but that was a decision that was made due to his lobbying. The heavy safety requirements made electric cars unfeasible until recently.

I don't know how you can say the electric car was killed as i see them on the road every day.

The documentary is referring to the EV1 exclusively (just think of where electric cars would be if production had kept up). Also, there were people fighting to keep the EV1, but because it was technically a lease they went out and got them all and then shredded them.......even though the cars worked and even though there was plenty of demand.

Take a couple hours out of your day and watch the documentary.

i'm not going to invest a couple of hours in phony information. the fact is there are entrepreneurs with electric cars and they are selling them successfully.

you can look at Tesla, which was founded by some incredible folks and has probably sold more electric cars than anybody. the problem is the batteries last about 3 years, and then they are largely shot. So if you buy a car that normally has a 15 year life and now its only 3 years, that is a different financial proposition. just because the cost to acquire is competitive doesn't mean the cost of ownership is when you have to go out and replace it after 3 years.

You do know that the documentary came out before the Tesla or the Leaf, the EV1 was in production from '96 to '99 and the documentary came out in 2006.............oh, that's right you don't know because you won't watch it because it has "phony" information. LMAO. If anything it portray's California's politicians as idiots..............figured you would love that.

Tesla made a big announcement about home batteries today. They are spending billions on a new battery factory. Seems dubious to make that sort of investment before proof of concept but Elon Musk is a guy you don't want to bet against. if he solves the battery issue, he could really make in impact both on electric cars as well as the penetration of solar.

i'm not going to invest a couple of hours in phony information. the fact is there are entrepreneurs with electric cars and they are selling them successfully.

you can look at Tesla, which was founded by some incredible folks and has probably sold more electric cars than anybody. the problem is the batteries last about 3 years, and then they are largely shot. So if you buy a car that normally has a 15 year life and now its only 3 years, that is a different financial proposition. just because the cost to acquire is competitive doesn't mean the cost of ownership is when you have to go out and replace it after 3 years.

Do you just make stuff up as you go along? The Chevy Volt has an 8 year 100k mile warranty on the battery, charging system,etc. I don't know of any owners who have replaced their batteries yet and many have over 100k on them. Furthermore, the replacement cost is about $3k. So even if it fails one mile out of warranty it costs 3 cents a mile for the battery as a worst case scenario.... all of that can be made up for the fact that the car only requires oil changes every 2 years, no transmission to fail or change fluids in, and the shear fact that the cost of ownership is beyond low. I filled up for the first time in 2015 a couple weeks back. It only costs about a buck to charge for my daily routine... that same routine would have costed me 2.5 gallons of gas in my prior vehicle... even an econo crap box it would still require more than a gallon of gas in a car that is a POS. Most transmissions can cost upwards of 3 grand to get rebuilt/replaced after the same number of miles the battery lasts in the volt but no one talks about that.

In regards to the documentary mentioned. It is pretty much a one sided pile of BS. And this is coming from a Volt owner.

I have a Leaf. Actually two currently until the first lease expires in October. The charging time depends on what type of charger you're using. The typical public charging station has level 2 chargers which will give you a full charge in about three hours. There are a few level 3 quick chargers around town that do the same in 30 minutes. I just use a standard 110 volt wall charger and charge overnight. Works for my wife and I for our daily commute and in-town errands. Usually charge every other night. I can see the Volt being a better option for most people who are considering trying an ev because of the backup gas engine. But for us the all-ev works fine. I haven't noticed much battery degradation in the 18 mos or so we've been driving it.

Do you just make stuff up as you go along? The Chevy Volt has an 8 year 100k mile warranty on the battery, charging system,etc. I don't know of any owners who have replaced their batteries yet and many have over 100k on them. Furthermore, the replacement cost is about $3k. So even if it fails one mile out of warranty it costs 3 cents a mile for the battery as a worst case scenario.... all of that can be made up for the fact that the car only requires oil changes every 2 years, no transmission to fail or change fluids in, and the shear fact that the cost of ownership is beyond low. I filled up for the first time in 2015 a couple weeks back. It only costs about a buck to charge for my daily routine... that same routine would have costed me 2.5 gallons of gas in my prior vehicle... even an econo crap box it would still require more than a gallon of gas in a car that is a POS. Most transmissions can cost upwards of 3 grand to get rebuilt/replaced after the same number of miles the battery lasts in the volt but no one talks about that.

In regards to the documentary mentioned. It is pretty much a one sided pile of BS. And this is coming from a Volt owner.

can you read or do you have someone else read to you? tell them to re-read it to you.

i was talking about the Tesla, which has lithium ion batteries. hit this link for more information. http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/a-35000-tesla-battery-expert-says-unlikely.html/?a=viewall

the Volt has only been out since 2011. Teslas even less. Just because GM gives you a 100,000 mile warranty doesn't mean your batteries will last. Interestingly, Tesla does not give such a warranty. Whether the batteries have degraded is essential to the resale value of the all the Teslas that are coming off lease.

I also said the documentary was suspect when there are a lot of electric cars on the road today.

Last edited:
can you read or do you have someone else read to you? tell them to re-read it to you.

i was talking about the Tesla, which has lithium ion batteries. hit this link for more information. http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/a-35000-tesla-battery-expert-says-unlikely.html/?a=viewall

the Volt has only been out since 2011. Teslas even less. Just because GM gives you a 100,000 mile warranty doesn't mean your batteries will last. Interestingly, Tesla does not give such a warranty. Whether the batteries have degraded is essential to the resale value of the all the Teslas that are coming off lease.

I also said the documentary was suspect when there are a lot of electric cars on the road today.

Holy moly... The Volt has been out since late 2010. It is now 2015. You said the battery only lasts 3 years. I know of none replaced yet. Can you show any facts of replacements of worn out batteries either under warranty or out of it? I have heard of a couple replacements due to defect which is well within normal (a coworker just bought a new GMC acadia and the engine blew after 500 miles... stuff happens battery powered or not)

The Volt, Tesla, and Leaf all use Lithium Ion batteries. I didn't see a mention of 3 years in that article. The Tesla battery warranty is 8 years unlimited miles. The Leaf battery warranty is 8 years 100k miles.

There are stats collected on these things and I know One Volt owner is over 200k miles with no noticeable loss in range on the original battery.

The documentary has nothing to do with the cars on the road today. Literally nothing. It is one sided but you are comparing apples to oranges.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT