ADVERTISEMENT

baseball-reference.com

Manch.

All-ACC
Sep 25, 2004
Do any of you baseball enthusiasts use this site at all? For anyone who loves baseball and for fans like me who could spend days at a time looking at stats, this site is just incredible.

I have been to approximately 125-150 Red Sox games since July 23, 1977. There are certain games that I remember because of who was pitching, the final score (combined with the approximate year), who homered and I especially remember a certain event that surrounded the game, for instance, I graduated HS in 1988 and I went to a Sox/Yankees game the night before graduation and Bruce Hurst pitched for the Sox and Dave Winfield hit a HR, probably the hardest hit ball that I have ever seen (I think the line drive was still traveling up when it hit the screen), the final score was 7-4 (I think, or close to it), Red Sox. Now I can go back to baseball-reference.com and look up the box score! I have about a dozen of these games that I can almost pin point back to the date and look at the box scores and relive part of my childhood/growing up. It's amazing at the number of Hall of Famers that I have seen. I have seen every AL team (Milwaukee was in the AL) and several NL teams, especially with interleague starting in 1997, and with New York and Montreal being about a 5 1/2-6 hour drive from here, I saw an Astros/Expos game in Montreal where there were probably 2,500 fans there (we would drive to Montreal and catch the last game of a series on a Sunday and then watch the start of another series on Monday, as I am huge St. Louis fan and tried to catch a lot of Cardinal games)

I think I have seen Tim Wakefield start for the Sox about 10 times. I saw Dennis Eckersley start, for Cleveland! I could go on and on, as I am probably going to spend a couple of hours looking up box scores and bring back memories.

That first game that I ever went to was against Dennis Eckersley and the Cleveland Indians (Reggie Cleveland, ironically, started for Cleveland). LMFAO, George Scott had a triple for the Sox, Fred Lynn hit two homers. Reggie Cleveland started for the Sox and did not record an out while giving up 4 runs in the first. The 3rd, 4th and 5th hitters for the Sox were all Hall of Famers-Jim Rice, Yastrzemski and Pudge (Carlton Fisk).

Batting 2nd for the Sox that day was Fred Lynn, who was rookie of the year and AL MVP in 1975 (becoming only the 2nd player that I can recall in any major sport to win Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same season, the first being Wilt Chamberlain). Lynn would hit home runs (off of Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Bob Welch and Atlee Hammaker) in 4 different All Star games, which is still a record and I am not sure if this still stands, but he was the only player to ever hit a grand slam in an All Star game for California in 1983. Batting 6th was All Star first baseman, George Scott, who would homer (off of Goose Gossage) in the 1977 All Star game.

What a batting order, 2nd-6th!!!

I love this website!!!! I have looked up my first game that I had ever went to and an hour later, I am still reviewing that game and the stats involved!!!!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

Last edited:
Just looked up a game from June of 1982 vs Milwaukee. Rollie Fingers came on in the bottom of the 7th with no outs and runners of first and second, with the Brewers leading 8-6. Milwaukee held on to win 11-10 (Fingers blew the save but got the win as Boston tied the game in the 7th), but Fingers was out there for a 3 inning save oppurtunity, can you imagine that happening today?

Do any of you baseball enthusiasts use this site at all? For anyone who loves baseball and for fans like me who could spend days at a time looking at stats, this site is just incredible.

I have been to approximately 125-150 Red Sox games since July 23, 1977. There are certain games that I remember because of who was pitching, the final score (combined with the approximate year), who homered and I especially remember a certain event that surrounded the game, for instance, I graduated HS in 1988 and I went to a Sox/Yankees game the night before graduation and Bruce Hurst pitched for the Sox and Dave Winfield hit a HR, probably the hardest hit ball that I have ever seen (I think the line drive was still traveling up when it hit the screen), the final score was 7-4 (I think, or close to it), Red Sox. Now I can go back to baseball-reference.com and look up the box score! I have about a dozen of these games that I can almost pin point back to the date and look at the box scores and relive part of my childhood/growing up. It's amazing at the number of Hall of Famers that I have seen. I have seen every AL team (Milwaukee was in the AL) and several NL teams, especially with interleague starting in 1997, and with New York and Montreal being about a 5 1/2-6 hour drive from here, I saw an Astros/Expos game in Montreal where there were probably 2,500 fans there (we would drive to Montreal and catch the last game of a series on a Sunday and then watch the start of another series on Monday, as I am huge St. Louis fan and tried to catch a lot of Cardinal games)

I think I have seen Tim Wakefield start for the Sox about 10 times. I saw Dennis Eckersley start, for Cleveland! I could go on and on, as I am probably going to spend a couple of hours looking up box scores and bring back memories.

That first game that I ever went to was against Dennis Eckersley and the Cleveland Indians (Reggie Cleveland, ironically, started for Cleveland). LMFAO, George Scott had a triple for the Sox, Fred Lynn hit two homers. Reggie Cleveland started for the Sox and did not record an out while giving up 4 runs in the first. The 3rd, 4th and 5th hitters for the Sox were all Hall of Famers-Jim Rice, Yastrzemski and Pudge (Carlton Fisk).

Batting 2nd for the Sox that day was Fred Lynn, who was rookie of the year and AL MVP in 1975 (becoming only the 2nd player that I can recall in any major sport to win Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same season, the first being Wilt Chamberlain). Lynn would hit home runs (off of Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Bob Welch and Atlee Hammaker) in 4 different All Star games, which is still a record and I am not sure if this still stands, but he was the only player to ever hit a grand slam in an All Star game for California in 1983. Batting 6th was All Star first baseman, George Scott, who would homer (off of Goose Gossage) in the 1977 All Star game.

What a batting order, 2nd-6th!!!

I love this website!!!! I have looked up my first game that I had ever went to and an hour later, I am still reviewing that game and the stats involved!!!!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

Just wanted to say that if anyone on here thought you were referring to eg. Pudge Rodriguez instead of Fisk when reading the post I vote that they get a lifetime ban. :)

I remember that Fingers used to do the 3 inning save thing all the time. I remember an interview with him (probably in the mid-90s) when Eck was still the standard for closers (i.e. before Rivera was the undisputed king) and he talked about how his save numbers could have been so much bigger but for the fact that he did 3 inning saves all the time. He consistently had 120+innings when a closer for the past 20 years or so would have half that.

I love BRef and fangraphs. I can get lost on those sites for a hour easily

Just wanted to say that if anyone on here thought you were referring to eg. Pudge Rodriguez instead of Fisk when reading the post I vote that they get a lifetime ban. :)

LMAO, with younger kids growing up watching the other Pudge, I am not sure if they knew who the original Pudge was!

Also, I sent a link to my first game to my father, who i don't speak to much and his wife said he started crying, God I love baseball!

It really is a cool site.

A number of years ago I went to a game that may have had more interesting things than any game in MLB history - the August 2000 basebrawl game in St Pete between the Sox & Rays. Pedro hit the leadoff hitter, Gerald Willis, on an 0-2 fastball. Willis charged the mound to touch off a bench clearing brawl. During the fight, Brian Daubach apparently threw a couple of cheap shots, so he got hbp in his next couple of at bats (also had a pitch sail behind him by another pitcher) & touching off a couple more fights. In all, I think 3 Rays pitchers & two or three coaches were tossed as a result of the retaliations. Between all that, Boston's Carl Everett started out 3-3 with a triple/double/homer; had a couple of chances to get the cycle but homered in one chance, flew out in the other.

Oh, and after hitting Willis, Pedro sat down the next 24 batters, carrying a no-no into the 9th.

Other than all that, it was a pretty boring game.

NESN replayed that game over the weekend as they replayed some of 45's best games. I remember watching it on TV back in the day.

I saw Pedro pitch just once, and he got shelled by the Mets, I found that game on BR, also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT