ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ Thread

KissimmeeNole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Aug 18, 2004
on my way to Destin with the fam so I stopped at a HIGHLY recommended BBQ joint in Tally based on LR recommendations. I was told by many that it is far superior to 4Rivers.

No. Not in the conversation.

1. 4Rivers
2. Hard 8
3. Dreamland

All these are 9.5 and above IMO. Of course this is totally subjective. What I had tonight wasn't even a 5. Not trying to be rude.

You should've gone to Daytona. It is far better than destin, and it is a lot closer for you. Plus there are several Sonnys so you could've gotten some good bbq.

Reactions: DanC78
You should've gone to Daytona. It is far better than destin, and it is a lot closer for you. Plus there are several Sonnys so you could've gotten some good bbq.
Daytona better than Destin? We owned a condo in Ponce Inlet for 25 years. I know Daytona well. I don't think it's nearly as nice as Destin.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Mom and Pop shops strike again. Big, successful American businesses like Sonny's would never falter in quality.

Reactions: cmanole
on my way to Destin with the fam so I stopped at a HIGHLY recommended BBQ joint in Tally based on LR recommendations. I was told by many that it is far superior to 4Rivers.

1. 4Rivers
2. Hard 8
3. Dreamland

All these are 9.5 and above IMO. Of course this is totally subjective. What I had tonight wasn't even a 5. Not trying to be rude.

Is the Hard 8 you're referring to the group of BBQ joints in North Texas?

Only Dreamland location I've ever been to was in Birmingham and it was absolute crap.

So what happened with Piggy's? I thought they had pretty good Q, but I haven't been in a while. I thought Cob owned it.

Daytona better than Destin? We owned a condo in Ponce Inlet for 25 years. I know Daytona well. I don't think it's nearly as nice as Destin.

Bz8P7.gif

This isn't 1940. You can buy any cut of meat and get wood to smoke from any region. The regional crap is a thing of the past. It's a choice now and not a necessity (and why there were regional types of BBQ) because that is all the region provided.

Reactions: Bartdog and cmanole

1. 4Rivers
2. Hard 8
3. Dreamland

Speaking only of the 4Rivers in Tally as that's the only one I've been to, it's been VERY hit or miss. The first time I had it, we got the beef rib, a half pound of brisket and a burnt end sandwich. Everything was amazing and I could see the hype. Just perfectly cooked brisket, the best I've had outside of LA and NYC top of the line delis and the beef rib was perfectly tender and juicy. It was a 10 out of 10.

Second time we got Cal Tri-tip sandwich that wasn't even remotely as good as anything in California and the smoked wings that were half as good as Hamaknockers. It was a 2 out of 10.

So we decided to go back to what worked and the third time we got a burnt end sandwich and a beef rib....and everything was horrible. Both of them were so salty you could barely eat it, it was like a salt lick and the beef rib had been so ridiculously overcooked that it was jerky (which is truly something as beef rib is an almost foolproof cut as it's filled with fat). It was a 1 out of 10 and one of my worst if not THE worst BBQ experience of my.

I have not been back. Two times in a row of horrible bbq does not make me want to ever go back. I will say if I had only gone the first time, I'd be tempted to agree with you as the first time was great. But those last two times....ugh.

This isn't 1940. You can buy any cut of meat and get wood to smoke from any region. The regional crap is a thing of the past. It's a choice now and not a necessity (and why there were regional types of BBQ) because that is all the region provided.
I agree with you in theory, but there is something to the local touch that you can't just buy at a store or google search. Bubba or Leroy got that insider, native knowledge passed down that can't be found in books or online.

Not the same Hard 8. Coppell/Stephenville/Roanoke
I tried to go to the Hard 8 in Coppell the last time I was there. The line was out the door so I passed. Definitely want to check it out sometime.

Is the Hard 8 you're referring to the group of BBQ joints in North Texas?

Only Dreamland location I've ever been to was in Birmingham and it was absolute crap.

I agree on Dreamland. I've had it in Birmingham and Atlanta. Mediocre, at best.

Wait a second. There is a 4Rivers in Tallahassee now? When did this happen? I may drive down just for lunch today. Where is it located?

Wait a second. There is a 4Rivers in Tallahassee now? When did this happen? I may drive down just for lunch today. Where is it located?
Thomasville Road in front of Whole Foods. It's been there for several months now.

Last 2 times I've attempted to go to Piggys its been closed, apparently they cut back their hours or never switched after the time change. Ended up going to MoBetta where the pork sandwich is good but the other meats are hit or miss. Last time I went to Piggys(3-4 months) I only got fried okra for my then pregnant wife's craving and it was good as always but I noticed they didn't have other sides I used to love.

The last time I was there it was so bad I'll never go back...

The best of Piggies wasn't as good as the best of 4 Rivers, but the worst of 4 Rivers was FAR worse than the worst I've had at Piggies.

I did only recently come across Johnstons Meat Plant in Monticello and their quite delicious BBQ. It reminded me of Western Carolina style bbq but with ribs and a stronger wood smoke flavor (I would guess just really strong hickory but it was so smoky it reminded me of mesquite). The only problem is that it's got very difficult hours. Btw, their bacon and country ham were amazing as well.

Johnston's had a trailer selling food by the entrance to Costco/BassPro/WalMart months back and a "Coming Soon" sign as if they were going to open a permanent structure but it disappeared and I haven't seen anything there in months.

In 2009, I met a poster on the LR who thought his father would be interested in helping me get Piggy's open. The contract was written with me giving up 100% ownership in exchange for a salary and the option to buy back ownership. It was still considered to be "my baby" and from interacting with people through the years, everyone thought it was. It was my concept, recipes, ideas and if you'd ask anyone, I was very happy doing what I was doing. Got the opportunity to meet some really great people and serve some good bbq. In June 2013, at least 6 people in the LR and others around Tally were told by that same LR poster "We don't think Brian's going to last as we think he's stealing from Piggy's". Some of those have even posted in this thread. That got back to me and the happiness subsided. A forensic accountant was hired and ultimately reported I had done nothing wrong but was the victim of high food costs, high labor and lack of funding yet no apology was given for the accusations. I knew the writing was on the wall. August 31 2014 was my last day 5 years to the day I opened it and the last time I was there. I continue to get calls about the quality decline, removed menu items and changed recipes and just laugh now when I hear it. As Desi noted, 3 weeks ago I moved to the Huntsville area as I've been working on my next venture with 2 patents I've filed to get a few products off the ground.

In regards to 4 Rivers, I think they have some really good BBQ and the best in Tally. I met John Rivers when he first opened in Tally and we had a long talk and I wish him nothing but continued success. It has been my go-to BBQ place since they opened. If you haven't been yet, I highly recommend them. Similar concept (basically identical) to Piggy's but bigger.

Johnston's had a trailer selling food by the entrance to Costco/BassPro/WalMart months back and a "Coming Soon" sign as if they were going to open a permanent structure but it disappeared and I haven't seen anything there in months.

Huh, I didn't know they had a trailer there. The BBQ is certainly good enough to warrant a real sit down restaurant not just an offshoot of their smoked meat operation. And I will say there country ham is the best I've had outside of the small providers in Smithfield and Surrey Virginia and I'm a big fan of country hams.

In 2009, I met a poster on the LR who thought his father would be interested in helping me get Piggy's open. The contract was written with me giving up 100% ownership in exchange for a salary and the option to buy back ownership. It was still considered to be "my baby" and from interacting with people through the years, everyone thought it was. It was my concept, recipes, ideas and if you'd ask anyone, I was very happy doing what I was doing. Got the opportunity to meet some really great people and serve some good bbq. In June 2013, at least 6 people in the LR and others around Tally were told by that same LR poster "We don't think Brian's going to last as we think he's stealing from Piggy's". Some of those have even posted in this thread. That got back to me and the happiness subsided. A forensic accountant was hired and ultimately reported I had done nothing wrong but was the victim of high food costs, high labor and lack of funding yet no apology was given for the accusations. I knew the writing was on the wall. August 31 2014 was my last day 5 years to the day I opened it and the last time I was there. I continue to get calls about the quality decline, removed menu items and changed recipes and just laugh now when I hear it. As Desi noted, 3 weeks ago I moved to the Huntsville area as I've been working on my next venture with 2 patents I've filed to get a few products off the ground.

In regards to 4 Rivers, I think they have some really good BBQ and the best in Tally. I met John Rivers when he first opened in Tally and we had a long talk and I wish him nothing but continued success. It has been my go-to BBQ place since they opened. If you haven't been yet, I highly recommend them. Similar concept (basically identical) to Piggy's but bigger.

Cobb I'll give you this. I had some of your Bbq at a tailgate in the RV lot last year. Nothing wrong with your stuff. It was great.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

Good on you Brian for coming in to set the record straight. I wish you nothing but the best in your new venture.

I've had nothing but really good Q at 4 Rivers. Outstanding ribs my last three visits.

4 Rivers is amazing especially Brisket and Ribs and I've never been to any other BBQ Places that can match their side choices and the quality of their sides....and the cornbread is worth the trip alone...great addition to Tally

Reactions: CobNole
I tried to go to the Hard 8 in Coppell the last time I was there. The line was out the door so I passed. Definitely want to check it out sometime.

If you are in the DFW and want great BBQ I'd go to Pecan Lodge. You will have the same problem with the line though depending on the time of day.

I had 4Rivers in Gainesville a couple of weeks ago. The brisket was pretty dry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT