ADVERTISEMENT

Best exercise for losing the gut aka belly

It's not possible to spot train for fat loss. As Tarpon suggests, the only way to lose the gut is through a caloric deficit created by eating less, burning more calories (exercise) or a combination of both.

Less food, more activity.15000 sit-ups, and 87 sets of interval training will do nothing if you're not in a caloric deficit

Step away from the carbs and sugar. Can lose a lot of amount of wait just with that and not even exercise.
Low carb works because of a caloric deficit, not because it's some magic diet. It's also the most difficult "diet" to maintain because your body uses carbs as its primary energy source. High fat diets do technically use fat as "energy" but that use comes from the extra fat you introduce to your diet, not using up the fat stores that you're trying to get rid of in the first place

Reactions: fsuksig
Smooth, convince your doctor you're ADHD and get him to prescribe Adderol. Mine put me on it in October and I lost 20 lbs. over 6 months. For me, it turns out a positive side effect is it acts as an appetite suppressant.

a basic diet and exercising is clearly first step. If you are already doing and toning up areas of your body but your gut....try laying off the sodium and alcohol. My stomach dropped two inches in six weeks once I cut those two out...along with exercise and eating balanced.

Last edited:
Low carb works because of a caloric deficit, not because it's some magic diet. It's also the most difficult "diet" to maintain because your body uses carbs as its primary energy source. High fat diets do technically use fat as "energy" but that use comes from the extra fat you introduce to your diet, not using up the fat stores that you're trying to get rid of in the first place
That's not true. The magic is using what nature provided you with. Your body will convert it's fat (stored carbohydrates) into carbohydrates for fuel. Your body will literally consume your fat. It's pretty magical. You can very easily stay on a low carb, versus a no carb, diet for a very long time. Forever really...

Reactions: Ward17
Actually, the reason low carb, high protein diets work very well is in the way the human body fuels itself. The human body consumes carbs first (simple carbs, then complex carbs), then it burns fat, and it burns protein last. That is why you see tremendous changes when you stick with one of these types of diets. I have seen great results personally eating a paleo type diet, but generally, if you eliminate refined sugars & processed white bread based products, a change will come, and quickly.

Actually, the reason low carb, high protein diets work very well is in the way the human body fuels itself. The human body consumes carbs first (simple carbs, then complex carbs), then it burns fat, and it burns protein last. That is why you see tremendous changes when you stick with one of these types of diets. I have seen great results personally eating a paleo type diet, but generally, if you eliminate refined sugars & processed white bread based products, a change will come, and quickly.

And after you lose your desired amount og fat you can eat carbs via fruit and veg and keep the weight off. The reason why people put weight back on after Atkins is they end up overloading on carbs...

That's not true. The magic is using what nature provided you with. Your body will convert it's fat (stored carbohydrates) into carbohydrates for fuel. Your body will literally consume your fat. It's pretty magical. You can very easily stay on a low carb, versus a no carb, diet for a very long time. Forever really...
Fat cannot be "turned into" carbs. Fatty acids are converted to triglycerides that can be used as energy. Glycogen and blood glucose are used first for energy. Also, carbs are only stored as excess fat while you are in a caloric surplus (same with fat and protein) True, your body will use fat and protein as energy in the absence of carbs, but neither are the most efficient to use.
Regardless of your dietary preference, you must be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. I've lost and kept off well over 80 lbs, while eating 250+ grams of carbs per day, by just maintaining a caloric deficit and/or eaten at maintenance.

We're saying the same thing. Fat is converted to energy. And 250 grams of carbs a day? What was your beginning weight and your daily calorie count?

Correct. It's called Ketosis. As long as healthy fats are high enough your body will learn to burn them for energy. Caveat is that many can't handle the "brain fog" that initially comes with lowered carb intake. Get past that and you can stay in Ketosis as long as you want as long as your carb intake is extremely low,
Maybe refeed carbs every now and then.

Low carb works because it switches your body from burning carbs for energy to burning fat through ketosis. You can eat 4000-5000 calories a day and still lose weight with a low carb diet.

Example of a day's diet under low carb:

Breakfast: Cheesy eggs and Bacon
Lunch: Cheeseburger with no bun or ketchup
Snack: Pork rinds or cheese sticks.. or both
Dinner: Steak with salad covered in blue cheese dressing

You would lose weight like you started an all crack diet if you ate like that every day. It's just hard to keep eating low carb forever so the weight usually comes back when you start eating normally.

Low carb works because it switches your body from burning carbs for energy to burning fat through ketosis. You can eat 4000-5000 calories a day and still lose weight with a low carb diet.

Example of a day's diet under low carb:

Breakfast: Cheesy eggs and Bacon
Lunch: Cheeseburger with no bun or ketchup
Snack: Pork rinds or cheese sticks.. or both
Dinner: Steak with salad covered in blue cheese dressing

You would lose weight like you started an all crack diet if you ate like that every day. It's just hard to keep eating low carb forever so the weight usually comes back when you start eating normally.

That can't be good for your heart.

We're saying the same thing. Fat is converted to energy. And 250 grams of carbs a day? What was your beginning weight and your daily calorie count?
My beginning weight was 290. I started this year at 224, and I've dropped to 206 eating 2450 calories with 270 carbs per day on average.

And after you lose your desired amount og fat you can eat carbs via fruit and veg and keep the weight off. The reason why people put weight back on after Atkins is they end up overloading on carbs...
This has been my experienc. A year ago I switched to a wheat-free diet. It was very strict. I cut all grains and starches like rice, legumes, and potatoes, plus sugar. Even natural sugar from fruits and sweeter vegetables like carrots were limited. I lost about 30 lbs over the first few months and then gradually relaxed on the fruit restrictions. I haven't gained back any weight and I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables now. I keep to the basic wheat-free tenets, but I don't sweat the occasional carbs from rice or beans and even indulge my sweet tooth with candy or ice cream sometimes. I think the main thing is eat what fills you up and sustains you without feeling the constant craving for sweet and salty snacks like many carb based diets do.

My beginning weight was 290. I started this year at 224, and I've dropped to 206 eating 2450 calories with 270 carbs per day on average.
This is hard for me to digest. The rule of thumb is that you divide your caloric intake by 10 to hit a specific weight over time. At 2450 calories per day that would equate to 245 lbs. Something is not adding up...

That can't be good for your heart.

Not how I would recommend you eat every day even though paleo diet people act like cholesterol isn't bad for you. You could easily swap out leaner meats and stay low carb. I was just illustrating a point about low carb diets. They are not dependent on calorie deficits.

This has been my experienc. A year ago I switched to a wheat-free diet. It was very strict. I cut all grains and starches like rice, legumes, and potatoes, plus sugar. Even natural sugar from fruits and sweeter vegetables like carrots were limited. I lost about 30 lbs over the first few months and then gradually relaxed on the fruit restrictions. I haven't gained back any weight and I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables now. I keep to the basic wheat-free tenets, but I don't sweat the occasional carbs from rice or beans and even indulge my sweet tooth with candy or ice cream sometimes. I think the main thing is eat what fills you up and sustains you without feeling the constant craving for sweet and salty snacks like many carb based diets do.
That is exactly how you do it. It has to become a lifestyle change. People are so use to being totally satiated at every meal and that is not how a person should eat. Every now and again sure, but not every meal. Eating is a habit like everything else. Once you learn how to eat right and how good you feel doing so you don't have any desire to eat a lot of carbs again. It's a lot like quitting smoking imo...

Not how I would recommend you eat every day even though paleo diet people act like cholesterol isn't bad for you. You could easily swap out leaner meats and stay low carb. I was just illustrating a point about low carb diets. They are not dependent on calorie deficits.
If you go this route, you better get your healthy fats from somewhere. Low carb, low fat is a recipe for disaster.

This is hard for me to digest. The rule of thumb is that you divide your caloric intake by 10 to hit a specific weight over time. At 2450 calories per day that would equate to 245 lbs. Something is not adding up...
You're not factoring in activity level or metabolic capacity. I'm 27 6'1 and 206.2 as of this morning. I lift 4 days a week using very heavy compound movements. I lose .75-1 lb per week eating a 2450 calorie average per day. I maintain my weight to within .2 lbs eating 3075 on average.

If I remember right you posted in the weight loss post that your weight loss had stalled for a long time, it may be because you are overestimating your caloric needs.

I was actually told that I needed to add carbs to my diet. Once I did I started losing a lot of weight...well, inches. My weight only went down 2 pounds.

I was told to get a percentage of my calories for the day from Fats, Carbs, and Proteins.

I started eating about a cup of rice each night with dinner along with my veggies and meats etc.

Reactions: fsu123187
ADVERTISEMENT