ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Talks expansion again

Funny, Colin Cowherd was on Russilo's show (with Danny Kannel) just today saying it's looking like the Big 12 will completely dissolve "very soon".

I think the Big 12 dissolves as well. Fartbomb is tweeting stuff about it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/100511/big-12-expansion-no-longer-an-if-but-rather-a-when

All of the programs mentioned with this Big12 story aren't big names. What could be interesting however is that another conference might want to pull the trigger on a Big 12 team before any deal to stabilize their conference is done.

If the Big 12 is left out of the playoff again this year it's pretty certain to me that things will start popping.

I don't see any way in hell that the Big 12 poaches a legit program.

Last edited:
I wonder where I heard this particular thought process before...could it have been last offseason? :);). The below excerpt pretty much sums it all up over the past year+:

Sure, the Big 12 seems not only to be operating at a psychological disadvantage, but a tangible one, too. The playoff committee said as much when it noted in April that a 13th game and conference championship, neither of which the Big 12 has, carries weight in playoff deliberations. After this revelation (which shouldn’t have been a revelation at all) Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby used the phrase himself: “We're at a disadvantage.”

Boren, imo, gets it. Beebe never got it. Bowlsby is just going to do what the majority wants done. All I see is one outspoken 'visionary' for that conference. Gonna be fun to watch over the years. If nothing else, it was really odd to see such a mass exodus(Colo, Neb, Mizzou, aTm) bailing from a once very solid conference. If they want to stay together then adding a team like Colorado State and Memphis makes the most sense in terms of digital/media footprints, etc.

Last edited:
Man, if it does dissolve, I really want TCU and Baylor for the private academics and recent football successes. Of course you'd want Texas and I'd be ok with WVA if we went bigger. That still leaves an odd number in full membership. Personally, I'd say screw ND and steal LSU! OK, I'll put down the pipe now.

OU, OSU, and KU can go elsewhere.

I wonder where I heard this particular thought process before...could it have been last offseason? :);). The below excerpt pretty much sums it all up over the past year+:

Sure, the Big 12 seems not only to be operating at a psychological disadvantage, but a tangible one, too. The playoff committee said as much when it noted in April that a 13th game and conference championship, neither of which the Big 12 has, carries weight in playoff deliberations. After this revelation (which shouldn’t have been a revelation at all) Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby used the phrase himself: “We're at a disadvantage.”

Boren, imo, gets it. Beebe never got it. Bowlsby is just going to do what the majority wants done. All I see is one outspoken 'visionary' for that conference. Gonna be fun to watch over the years. If nothing else, it was really odd to see such a mass exodus(Colo, Neb, Mizzou, aTm) bailing from a once very solid conference. If they want to stay together then adding a team like Colorado State and Memphis makes the most sense in terms of digital/media footprints, etc.

Move on, you'll feel better.

All of the P5 do

Exactly - it makes this all much less simple than some poeple like to think. Few good options exist in either additions or the CCG. A guaranteed rematch of two teams likely to have played nobody OOC? Not exactly compelling. They need to start scheduling some serious OOC or just wait and hope Oklahoma and Texas rebound.

Man, if it does dissolve, I really want TCU and Baylor for the private academics and recent football successes. Of course you'd want Texas and I'd be ok with WVA if we went bigger. That still leaves an odd number in full membership. Personally, I'd say screw ND and steal LSU! OK, I'll put down the pipe now.

OU, OSU, and KU can go elsewhere.

It would be tough to turn down UT, OU for Baylor/TCU, etc. Sure, the current success of Baylor and TCU are strong, but I do not think the ACC could afford to not bring in heavyweights such as UT (50+K) enrollment) and OU(30+K enrollment) if that was ever an option. Lots of variables, though, with Texas' tv deal and Oklahoma's legislatures wanting to keep OSU with OU together, etc. Since it is all hypoethical at this point then give me OU and UT, as my first choice with OU and OSU being choice #2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT