** BIG NEWS ON FISHER! (12/23 8:19 pm) **

Discussion in 'Tomahawks' started by Dot Com, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dot Com

Dot Com Seminole Insider
    Staff

12/23 - 8:19pm

Two sources just told me that Jimbo Fisher is staying. Nobody is on the record yet, but it looks very good for FSU.

12/23 - 7:23pm

One good source just informed me that a statement from Fisher should be out very shortly. I'm not sure the nature of the statement but Fisher is apparently putting the final touches on it. As such, I would expect something to come down within the next hour.

12/23 - 6:25pm

We are still on hold. I just heard from two different sources within the last few minutes that Fisher, FSU, Wetherell, etc. are still in discussion mode. So don't believe any reports or message board posts that say it's a done deal one way or another. I haven't heard specifically, but I suspect West Virginia's deadline has been put off. How long? I have no idea.

I hope not, but it looks like this could drag on until later tonight or even into tomorrow.

I still can't give any more information on the chances that Fisher will stay or go. But the fact that he is still talking to FSU past WVU's original deadline is probably a positive sign.

12/23 - 5:30pm

I know the supposed deadline of 5pm has come and passed but so far we haven't heard anything. What I can say is that the people in the West Virginia camp are very optimistic. I've heard from a few different people that have connections up there that they anticipate that Fisher will accept the position. It may be that they just assume he will take the position because of how much money is on the table. I'm not sure if it's accurate, but one source told me he thinks the total value of the contract offer is nearly $10 million. I don't know what the term of the deal is but that seems really high for somebody with no head coaching experience.

A couple of our West Virginia contacts are saying that one of the main hold-ups preventing Fisher from accepting is his wife Candi. Apparently, she really loves Tallahassee and is against the move.

I know a lot of you are frustrated by this whole situation and I'm right there with you. I was supposed to be spending the night with my family doing Christmas activities but instead I'm stuck in the office waiting to hear back from sources. I'm hoping this will get resolved one way or another soon so we can all enjoy the holidays without this hanging over our heads.

12/23 - 4:05 pm

We hear that Jimbo Fisher is talking to T.K. Wetherell right now and the two are trying to work through some things. I will say that the situation is looking a little more positive for Fisher staying at FSU than they were a few hours ago. I said it was 50/50 in the last update, it's probably 60/40 for him staying now.

Interestingly, I got wind that a story may come out any minute from a West Virginia newspaper/website announcing that Fisher has been hired. If you see this story, it is premature. Fisher has not decided anything yet and as I said he is talking to FSU's President as I type this and the two are trying to come to some sort of agreement so he can stay. If they work things out, he's staying, if not he's gone.

I hear there is a very good chance that FSU will issue a press release sometime tonight on this, especially if Fisher decides to stay.

Stay tuned.

12/23 - 2:50 pm

At last check Jimbo Fisher still has not made a decision on whether to stay at FSU or accept WVU's offer. I'm being told right now it's a 50/50 proposition.

Since our last update, Bobby Bowden has spoken to Fisher, as well as T.K. Wetherell again.

I've been told that West Virginia wants an answer by 5:00 p.m. today. If that's the case the waiting shouldn't take much longer.

12/23 - 12:40 pm

As of about noon today nothing has been decided. We hear Fisher is still mulling over his decision.

What is new is that I've been told that FSU President T.K. Wetherell and Fisher have spoken about three times already today about his situation. I don't know the substance of those conversations but they are trying to get this worked out.

I also received another confirmation that Fisher is West Virginia's first choice and if he decides to stay at FSU, they offer the position to Terry Bowden. Whichever way they go will be announced at tomorrow's PC.

12/23 - 11 am

We hear West Virginia really wants to nail down their new head coach soon. So soon, that they have tentatively planned a Monday press conference to make the announcement. Fisher is their No. 1 choice and as of this morning, they are still waiting on his final answer. Apparently, West Virginia wants an answer from Fisher today. If he turns them down, Terry Bowden is next in line and will likely be named their head coach.

Of course, if Fisher does break his contract and bolt he would owe FSU $2.5 million. However, I heard that the West Virginia boosters will have no problem raising the 2.5 million to pay for his buyout.

I really don't which way he is going to go. A couple trusted sources I spoke to last night feel that Fisher is leaning to leaving, but that's just their gut feeling. He obviously slept on it last night so things may have changed.

There is a very good chance we will know which way this is going to go sometime today so stay tuned.

12/23 - 12:01 am

I've spent a large portion of Saturday and Saturday night talking to various sources about the Jimbo Fisher situation. There is definitely some conflicting information out there but what does seem consistent is that something has changed within the last 24 hours or so.

On Friday, we heard through the grapevine that despite renewed interest from West Virginia that Jimbo Fisher was sticking to his commitment to stay at FSU. You probably saw the comment from FSU President T.K. Wetherell in the Tampa Tribune on Saturday morning saying what we heard on Friday night, that Fisher is a Seminole, he isn't going to WVU and is going to be FSU's next head coach.

Apparently something has changed between Friday and Saturday evening because I now hear that he is reconsidering and thinking about jumping to West Virginia. We did hear that within the past day or so that West Virginia substantially increased their initial offer. One figure I heard was somewhere in the $1.5 million a year range.

All that being said, if there really is a solid offer out there, nothing has been decided yet but I can no longer honestly say that Fisher isn't showing any interest in West Virginia. But at the same time I have other sources telling me Terry Bowden is in the prime position for the same job.

I would like to think that at the end of the day that Fisher will be a man of his word. He made a promise to the university, Bobby Bowden and Seminole Nation that he was staying. If he goes back on his word because of a few bumps in the road and a big money offer from West Virginia then a lot of people will be very disappointed because Fisher gives the impression that he is a man of great character.

Keep in mind this is a very fluid situation and seems to change by the hour. I'm not sure what is coming next but I do think this will finally be resolved one way or another within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Just stay tuned and don't freak out over every rumor or news story that hits the web, radio or TV. If something changes or there is something newsworthy to report, we will let you know.

This post was edited on 12/23 7:23 PM by Dot Com
    This post was edited on 12/23 8:19 PM by Dot Com

2. Soosp

Gold Member

Re: Nugget: New information on Jimbo Fisher & West Virginia

Isn't Jimbo contractually obligated to FSU? I thought there was a large $ penalty if he left, no?

3. Dot Com

Dot Com Seminole Insider
    Staff

$2.5 million penalty, which WVU will glady pick-up if Fisher leaves.

4. LV Nole34

LV Nole34 Walk-on
    Gold Member

Jesus Christ!

5. noleville

noleville Freshman

At this point I'm over whatever he does, stay or go just do something! I wish that coach Bowden kept his noes out of things and didn't contact the govenor, you know this has to be a slap back at FSU for that. If he does go I sure hope we have a great back up plan.

6. busternole

This has been one hell of a week

7. thinicer

thinicer Walk-on
    Gold Member

If the money is too good to pass up, then he'll be going. Nothing will stop him.

8. bayou georgebears

He is not even supose to be talking with other schools. I say we collect our 2.5 million and move on to hatcher.

9. thinicer

thinicer Walk-on
    Gold Member

If the money is too good to pass up, then he'll be going to Morgantown. They must really, really want him.

This will really throw a wrench in plans for FSU. This would be a non-issue if Bobby just retired.

10. Soosp

Gold Member

So why would JF sign a contract that penalizes him $2.5 mil and then leave? That's a pretty big change of heart. I guess if Billy Donovan can do it...

11. DenisinSC

DenisinSC Walk-on
    Gold Member

This is not about the buy-out. If Jimbo were to go back on his word

and leave Bobby in the lurch, he will forever be remembered for that. Bad enough to do that to any coach/university, but to Bobby, jeez, that would make Saben look like a class act.

12. thinicer

thinicer Walk-on
    Gold Member

Because WVU will buy it out. They'll probably use the money they'll get from Coach Rod when he bolted to Michigan.

13. Warchant Broker

Warchant Broker Walk-on
    Gold Member

I worry only about 2 things if Fisher jumps ship. (1) Our incoming recruiting class. (2) The development of our existing and possible incoming QB's. My first thought is that EJ would jump with him and that could very well have a trickling down effect on others.

14. nolesxtreme

Re: New information on Jimbo Fisher & West Virginia (12/23 12:01 AM)

Hatcher probably would not come here.

15. ChieFSUpreme

Gold Member

16. jaswinnie

jaswinnie Walk-on

As I said on an earlier post the best thing for FSU football is for Bobby to tell Jimbo he is stepping down after signing day. If Jimbo leaves we probably lose at least a third of our committments and this will set us back another few years. I love Bobby but the time is now even if Jimbo stays this year imagine going through this every year until Bobby decides the time is right. Just my opinion but I don't think Jimbo Fisher will ever be the Head Football coach at Florida State.

17. Unolz

Gold Member

I am not 100% certain that EJ would go to WVU. I am not saying that he would still commit to FSU, but Jimbo gave him his word that he was going to stay at FSU. Thus, integrity would play a part in EJ's decision.

18. rob90

Gold Member

Re: This is not about the buy-out. If Jimbo were to go back on his word

I tried to tell everybody here that was breathing a sigh of relief that JF signed his contracts that that meant nothing were and that a signed contract with a buyout clause was meaningless unless the buyout was 20 million dollars.

I was mocked.

I hope I am wrong.

But if JF leaves - good riddance.

19. NJNOLES

NJNOLES Starter
    Gold Member

Sounds to me like WVU already owes us 2.5 million for even bringing up the topic with Fisher based on the contract I read.

FSU in 2-3 years or WVU now? Jimbo what's your better long term position? I don't even see how he can be considering this when you factor in his current salary plus the 2.5 he will get if he doesnt get that the job, thats more then he will make at WVU over the same time period.

20. TommyHawkChop

Gold Member

Well resolved again how, this like a recruit committment. I am committed unless something else comes up. I thought this was resolved with this 3 year contract.

21. Jeremiah29

Gold Member

If JF were to in fact leave for WVU, and go back on his word, he will forever be defined by that....that is a lack of character and integrity. I still have a hard time believing he would do that. It would surely be hard to recover from. Can all this be over soon? Please?

22. moz9

moz9 Walk-on
    Gold Member

Recruiting class will probably suffer but it really depends on what happens after he leaves. If BB somehow retires then we may be able to save the recruiting class, but that's unlikely given the fact that TK will not let it happen.

23. Unolz

Gold Member

Wow...........and we bitch and moan when a 17-18 year old goes back on his word and changes a verbal committment.

We owe a lot of kids an apology.

24. noles197531103

noles197531103 Freshman
    Gold Member

Nothing like a kick in the sack right before bedtime[​IMG]

25. chad_hays

IF he leaves then that will set us back at least 5 years, this assuming bobby leaves after this coming year. i'd hate to see this happend over the most wins record. put the university first, not your records. jmo

26. fishbrain

Jimbo isn't going anywhere.

27. Wauchula

This is horrible and if he does leave our program will be set back for a least 5 years. Yuck.......and wake me up when it's over.

28. Unolz

Gold Member

Folks,

Contracts are nothing more than the buyout clause and termination clause without breach. 3, 4, hell even a 10 year contract is only as good as its buyout.

29. JLORYFSU!

JLORYFSU! Freshman

As of now, FSU football is an abortion.

I gotta get the Hell off this board for several weeks.

I am sick of getting kicked in the nuts everytime I log on.

No offense meant to Dot or Warchant, they are doing a great job.

The fact that Fisher had his press conference, told everyone he isn't going anywhere and then 1 week later, we go through this crap again.....basically, even if he does stay, our rivals can use stuff like this as ammo that his "head coach in waiting" status doesn't mean squat. At this point, I am starting to question his honesty.

Tough to deal with this drama day in and day out.

I am going to enjoy the Holidays and then I am off to Australia for two weeks in January....thank God! I feel like a friggin crack head coming on here day after day knowing that it isn't good for me![​IMG]

Merry Christmas to all
    This post was edited on 12/23 12:34 AM by JLORYFSU!

30. Unolz

Gold Member

Agreed

31. foreverfsu

foreverfsu Walk-on
    Gold Member

There is someone with an "inside" source on one of the WVU boards stating the only reason that the ink isn't dry on the deal for Jimbo to go to WVU is Candi. According to this poster, she does not want to move the family again.

32. jersey nole

Gold Member

this is getting ridiculous I will lose all respect for Fisher if he leaves after giving his word not that it will matter though.

33. ChieFSUpreme

Gold Member

He's been around a guy who is defined like that (Saban) and it doesn't seem to bother Saban any. Hope he doesn't switch, but if he does, don't you think his PR thing will have some cop out story anyways?

I just hope if he stays we don't have to go through this EVERY year until he becomes head coach...it sure feels that way though.

34. FSUNole2000

Gold Member

We can't afford to let Bowden drain us of $2 million a year. This has to stop. We need to be throwing those dollars to someone who can coach.

35. JLORYFSU!

JLORYFSU! Freshman

This is so true.....With a lame duck coach like BB who it seems has the opportunity to coach as long as HE wants to, we are stuck

36. nolesxtreme

Bobby isn't trying to bail Jimbo is. Bobby is grooming Jimbo, which I think is a very smart idea. Sure Jimbo is a great OC, but the political aspect not so sure. One thing for sure is Bobby knows the political side of the game better than anyone else.

37. foreverfsu

foreverfsu Walk-on
    Gold Member

38. flmom777

flmom777 Star Player
    Gold Member

There is one thing in this entire situation that makes absolutely no sonse. If Jimbo had any interest in the WVU job at all, why would he not simply wait to sign the contract, and avoid any buy-out at all, rather than sign then jump. Logically, that would be a huge financial blunder. I could see if this interest from WVU came long after he had signed, but they had contacted him before that.

39. ImmortalNole

Gold Member

Doesn't WV owe us $2.5 large just for talking to him and his agent?

40. Daddy-OO

Daddy-OO Starter
    Gold Member

The problem is Bobby Bowden. Trying to work around him is dragging the program down. How long will we let this madness go on.

41. FSUNole2000

Gold Member

If Jimbo was making $2 million, he would stay. If he didn't $2 million would get us a darn good coach. But right now, we are paying $2 million for a figure head.

42. brothablack

like i've said many times before, there's very little loyalty in sports nowadays. guys like BB & JoePa are a dying breed. what's left are these overhyped egotists like 7, Saban, & Petrino. if jimbo wants to join that group, more power to him! the fact that he even interviewed for the job speaks volumes about his character. i was the biggest JF fan but maybe i was wrong about him.

43. nolesxtreme

It's a win-win either way. If he doesn't get the HC, he gets 2.5 million. If he does, he gets the HC job.

44. goldmom

goldmom Starter
    Gold Member

So, if what Dot says is accurate, and he usually is pretty dadgum accurate, then wow is all I can say at the moment.

Even if JF stays here at FSU, I think this issue taints his future here permanently. We'll always look at him with a jaundiced eye. It's like the spouse who gets caught cheating. Do you ever really forget that? Do you ever really forgive that?

There's an old saying that is worth mentioning here. It goes "You can forgive or you can forget, but you can't do both".

Jimbo may be looking at some information that none of us are privy to and thinking that the cupboard might be bare the next couple of years.

If he IS hightailing it because of something like that, I'm very concerned.

45. sflanoleman

sflanoleman Starter
    Gold Member

What JLORYFSU said. I'm starting to really question Fisher's loyalty. He should have come out from the beginning and said I'm not considering any jobs including W. Virginia's. The fact that he hasn't said anything means something's going on.

46. tano01

tano01 Freshman
    Gold Member

The fact that Jimbo may even be considering this pisses me off. He got the contract, gave that speech, and well now this. I still think he ends up a FSU when it is all said and done, but this is just nuts. If he did not want to be here, then why the hell sign the contract?

If worse case happens, I certainly hope that BB, TK, and whoever have a plan to get an OC and get him in here immediately to insure all of our recruits do not bail.

I am just tired of this crap. Either he's on board or you not. He just needs figure out what the hell he wants to do so we can move forward.

47. noles197531103

noles197531103 Freshman
    Gold Member

I just can't take this crap anymore. Just when things seem to turn around, a bunch a morons cheat on a test so 35% of the team is suspended for the game. JF comes in and signs a 3 year deal to become the nesxt HC, but wait, he is off to WVU. When is it going to END???

48. TommyHawkChop

Gold Member

Up til now, I have thought all of this as BS now I don't know what to think. I am concerned as well.

49. flmom777

flmom777 Star Player
    Gold Member

Do we know if he has interviewed for the position? What do we know for sure here? There is so much speculation going on that it is hard to separate fact from rumor.

50. thinicer

thinicer Walk-on
    Gold Member

The contract was signed with FSU on December 14th. Coach Rod bolted for Michigan on December 16th, two days afterwards. I don't think Fisher expected Rodriguez to go to Michigan and that there was going to be a coaching vacancy at WVU. If Coach Rod had left before Fisher signed his new contract, well who knows what could have happened.

But at the time Fisher signed his contract, only Arkansas and Georgia Tech I believe were making overtures to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.