ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest crime in sports

TheTruth_

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Sep 30, 2002
was looking at NFL player contracts vs MLB contracts. Holy crap!!! Not the first time but every year I get older it pisses me off more and more. I feel bad for these NFL players they risk neck and limb and at any moment they could get kicked to the curb

The biggest crime in sports is that grown men get paid millions of dollars to play children's games. NOBODY is worth $25 million per year to throw a ball, to catch a ball, to hit a ball, or to kick a ball.

I'm on my 3rd year of boycotting professional sports teams because of this.

These guys make enough money that there great great great grand kids will never have to work while a family Of 4 on an average household income can't afford to go the game more than once a month with 20 dollar tickets, 10 dollar parking, and everything in the concession stand 7 bucks and up.

Unfortunately, as long as the fans spend the money it's going to happen....otherwise the fat cat owners make even more before kicking the player to the side.

Unfortunately, as long as the fans spend the money it's going to happen....otherwise the fat cat owners make even more before kicking the player to the side.
How dare those evil fat cats make other rich fat cats though the game of football.

These guys make enough money that there great great great grand kids will never have to work while a family Of 4 on an average household income can't afford to go the game more than once a month with 20 dollar tickets, 10 dollar parking, and everything in the concession stand 7 bucks and up.

I hate it too. But, are you going to boycott watching movies and listening to music too? Actors and singers make even more money without the physical strain. The owners are making even more, and will move their team or trade a star player if they want. Baseball is tough though, because teams like the Angels make $150M per year just off their local TV contract. That's more than most teams payroll. Just think if the Jets or Giants like have local TV contracts??? At least the NFL keeps it more competitive.

Reactions: BillWesJay

I respectfully disagree in a strong way with the posts on this thread.
Capitalism is the best way for a country to succeed and flourish.
If the talent these men have is worth $25MM for someone to pay them then I'm happy for them.
There is a reason why a neurosurgeon makes a lot of money.
There are not very many people with that skill set and it's in high demand.
There are even fewer people that can play basketball like LeBron James so his services are in even higher demand.

If the talent these men have is worth $25MM for someone to pay them then I'm happy for them.
There are even fewer people that can play basketball like LeBron James so his services are in even higher demand.
Amen to this. The rest of this thread scares me

Reactions: rancekay
Amen to this. The rest of this thread scares me
Sounds like a bunch of jealous people in this thread that they aren't able to make a living like this. So do you boycott the movies too, actors make 25 million for a few months of work for one movie.

Reactions: rancekay
was looking at NFL player contracts vs MLB contracts. Holy crap!!! Not the first time but every year I get older it pisses me off more and more. I feel bad for these NFL players they risk neck and limb and at any moment they could I get kicked to the curb

This is not rocket science NFL has 8 home games and a 53 man roster MLB baseball has 80 home games and a 25 man roster

Do the math

Reactions: mrpanhandle
I too have pretty much soured on professional sports. Sadly, I see college football moving closer and closer to that model. Still have hunting and fishing.

It's funny, the older I get and the more I learn, the more I believe football players don't make enough.

Have you read Brad Johnson's story, Brett Farve? McMahon? Jr Seau? Earl Campbell? Tony Dorsette...many many of them are living lives of sh** as their brains have been turned to mush since little league tackle football. Their knees, hands, shoulders...brutal.

Have any of you seen Snoop Minnis lately, sadly walks with a cane and just settled three-years ago with the Chiefs. Derrick Alexander, major limp. Sad.

Warren Sapp...these transgressions are related to something not right upstairs.

Mr. Brooks, Mr. Dunn, Mr. Warrick, they are the lucky ones but we are still only 38-45 years old, still unsure how their bodies physically and neurologically will age.

10 years ago I wanted to be them, in 10 years many will wish to wish to walk in our shoes. Sad.

Notice this NFL off season we saw some 25 year-olds walk away? There is a reason for it.

I met Dexter Cater 15-16 years ago on FLL beach, I asked him why he retired, he pointed at his infant son and said, "...I want to be able to get on the floor with him, I want to be able to chase him around"; I saw Dex two years ago and told his son the story, everyone had tears in their eyes as walking away was hard for dad but definitely change his life moving forward.

The biggest crime in sports is that grown men get paid millions of dollars to play children's games. NOBODY is worth $25 million per year to throw a ball, to catch a ball, to hit a ball, or to kick a ball.

"Sure NBA players [or insert other professional sport here] make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too"

Sincerely,

Patrick Ewing

I'm all for capitalism. NFL players and Hockey players should be the highest paid athletes. Period. F the math.

Number 2 what does 16 games vs 162 have anything to do with guaranteed contracts. The NFL treats players like crap. Once they get injured they thrown own like garbage !! Very sad

Ohh 1 more thing. Baseball sucks would rather watch women's World Cup soccer

Capitalism is the best way, that is why I am going to exercise a portion of capitalism in not attending games.

There are only so many people in the world who can be Neurosurgeon's, there are thousands of people who can play football, basketball, baseball for 1/100 of the cost and the product wouldn't be much different than what it is now.

The injury situation in football is the elephant in the room. It potentially affects the long-term viability of the sport. With more information available today than ever before, you already see kids weaning off of football at the youth and high school levels. More and more informed families simply steer their kids in other directions.

Not sure what the answer is, because the sport simply cannot be made "safe." Even if the concussion problem can be solved with technology, I don't see any way to cut down on the joint injuries that leave so many former players crippled at young ages. For every Tom Brady and Peyton Manning enjoying 9-figure net worths, there are literally thousands of guys whom you have never heard of, and who have little or no long-term financial security.

For the folks who respond with the "they made a choice" speech, remember that these kids make their "choice" when they are 15-21 years old, and really incapable of fully understanding the consequences of their decisions. Just a complicated situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT