ADVERTISEMENT

Biker war in Waco

I'm not sure what he told the Ga St. patrol. I know my better half was nearby at a walking track, got there as they were getting me ready to load up in the ambulance. Witnesses stopped asap, held my head steady etc, next was fire n rescue, cops and then ambulance. A witness drove the 3 miles to walking track, got my better half asap. She said witnesses said he just plowed me over, like he never saw me, coming back into my ;lane. They said the state trooper had him crying his arse off, reading him the riot act, for his stupidity. The bystanders and witnesses were frikkin awesome. Witnesses said they were shocked that I was alive, and not torn to shreds. Once I came to rest on the curb, realized I was alive, I immediately got pissed, cussing and fussing, sayeth somebody knocked the F*** out of me. I never knew he was there at the time. His mom got there asap, she talked w my better half. I have yet too, they have requested to meet and apologize, I told them only once all is done, settled etc. In case I go attorney vs just USAA ins. on their side.

It has been an ordeal, I realize how lucky I was/am. I am always , well almost always super careful. But you can't control what you do not see coming! All will be ok....eventually.
Amazing, and glad you're (relatively) OK. I try to wear as much protective gear as possible, but I frequently ride my bike up to the gym - in a t-shirt and shorts (and helmet). I know I shouldn't even do that even though it's just a couple of miles on back roads.

Reactions: KevNole
Amazing, and glad you're (relatively) OK. I try to wear as much protective gear as possible, but I frequently ride my bike up to the gym - in a t-shirt and shorts (and helmet). I know I shouldn't even do that even though it's just a couple of miles on back roads.

I know, I rode for decades in shorts, jacket less. I will not again. They make some heavy duty, yet breathable, light weight summer riding jackets. I always have a pair of over size (by 2 sizes my norm) jeans to juts slide over my shorts, but I didn't that day, nor most once hot. BUt I will from now on regardless. I also have 2 sets of chaps, rarely wear unless winter and have time to put on. I usually wear a shell helmet, just chose the full face that day, lucky me. I will use FF mostly, but will still use shell sometimes. Ride safe, and enjoy!

Today I took out my 8 weeks frustration at friends shooting range :)

What are the kid's limits? I'd suspect you'd exceed it easily.

I have a hard time believing this. If you aren't sporting a 1 percent patch cops don't bother you and if you are part of a classic motorcycle club then you know enough the second you see a mass of 1 percenters around to get out and go somewhere else.

And there is nothing fictional about it. There are many clubs that are in this segment and you don't screw with them.

Exactly what I was thinking. Any innocent biker that just walked into that scene would turn and walk out immediately. They would be more likely than anyone to know to get out of there.

I could potentially see some borderline outlaw clubs there, groups that are more wannabe than anything else, and they might have ended up with a lot more than they bargained for because they thought it would be fun to rub elbows with the big boys.

But a totally innocent antique cycle enthusiast club? No way.

Glad you are ok, KevNole. I always wear jeans, boots and helmet. Only wear a jacket if it is cold or going on the highway for a long trip. Been riding for a year and a half. Never had a close call or incident. Just last weekend had 2 cars almost plow into us. One on I-95, came right into our lane. Luckily it was a small car and we were able to share the lane. The other on Federal Highway and I started yelling and screaming at the guy. He felt so bad, he pulled over at the next light and apologized, all while crying how sorry he was that he didn't see us.

I've had a few close calls, I live where my ride to work is 35 minutes one way. Mostly country roads in, so a lot of deer. My bike had loud cobra pipes, which helped, but I had a few close calls with deer. The closest was one I caught out of the corner of my eye, he/she came right at me from out of the woods and missed my rear fender by maybe a foot.

The other closest would have been my fault, I was coming through a community, the speed limit was just increasing to 45, I noticed a truck about to back out of a driveway, I saw a lil girl about to go right behind his truck, all I could do was watch and blow my horn, I was fixated on her, when I looked up, the car in front of me was almost stopped to turn, a car was coming head on in the other lane, in their lane. That car coming on saw what was about to happen, took the shoulder/drive way clearing a way for me, and gave me room to last second bolt around stopped car, to avoid them both. I think she also saw the kid, I was soo damn lucky, I waved and said /motioned thanks to the driver, saw the truck had stopped (driveway) all appeared ok and I kept heading home. I was shaking until almost home.

Also, sadly I am one that can fall asleep on the drop of a hat, in minutes, standing, sitting etc. even one hot ride home after a long ass work day, I actually briefly nodded off for a few seconds. I had the loud pipes, and ear buds in with xm radio playing, probably jazz that day instead of classic rock, bad idea...... I made it though

I have been lucky/blessed these 40+ years of riding!

Haven't rode a motorcycle in 15 years, since my son was born. There is no helmet law here in NH, so I would ride with sun glasses, shorts and a tee shirt, unless I was going on the highway, but...but since I've rode, I have been involved in several close calls in my car because of other drivers, so if I were to ride a gain, I would absolutely be wearing a helmet and other protective gear.

In the 18 years of riding, I was only in one accident, and that's when I was stopped at a red light, and the guy in front of me had his cargo van loaded to the max and he could not see me in his rear view mirror and he backed up right into me as he was trying to back up so he could turn around. We were able to take my front fender off and he followed me to my house and his insurance adjuster was there in a couple of days to take a report and I had a check within a week or so. They even bumped up the estimate so that it would cover any deductible at the time.

My son is just about the get his license and he thinks that I over react when he's driving with me in the car and I try to explain to him that it's not so much that I am worried about his driving, it's the unpredictable drivers around him, and yesterday we had someone almost hit us when we were stopped at a stop sign (I was driving) and he was able to understand what I am trying to show him, and that's to watch out for other drivers, as we were almost drilled while we were stopped at a stop sign.

It sounds amazing that you survived that wreck and I can't imagine bouncing around for 250 feet like you did!

Kev, you're right about the deer. I've done the Blue Ridge Parkway twice and when you get out of the city (any city, anywhere, really) and start riding in along country roads, you tend to let your guard down, thinking you're finally away from all the "cagers" (cars). Well, I've almost been taken out by deer and wild turkeys while riding along county roads.

I have a few jackets, including a summer AirFlow jacket that breathes quite nicely. As for helmets, you might look into a flip-up chin bar helmet (called "modular"). I really like that style 'cause it gives you full face protection but also allows you to easily raise the chin bar to talk, eat, drink (pick your nose at traffic lights - LOL)... I read in a motorcycling magazine a few years back that something like 27% of all MC crashes end up with an impact to the face/chin area of the rider's head. That right there told me to take the extra preventative measure.

Well, I figure that the helmet is there so my family can have an open casket at my funeral. I do not plan on surviving a wreck on the bike. If i do, I will consider it a bonus.

I have and had my modular on that day, a scorpion EXO 900, loved it ...ok well did love it! New one needed.

The kid had USAA, I do not know their limits, I will find all out before I sign and agree with any final amount.

Bike part is done already, but they owe all my pay ( Im getting short term at work at 66&.6% of my pay) but they will owe me full pay, plus All my medical which at last tally was around $30,000. and pain and suffering. I am not looking to rape them, just fair amount. My concern is down the road with the ability to keep running my Frito lay route. I am on my feet hard, 50-60 hours a week. My feet take a pounding in and out of the route step van. (like an old bread truck style)

Talked briefly with an attorney, haven't decided what I want to do yet.

The point being, if the kid just has a standard 25k liability (the minimum), there is no point waiting. Just tell them to tender it and you file against your UIM.

ah, see I know little about the way it all works. I guess I check w/ his usaa next week to see his liability amount. Now a ? why his minimum amt? Wouldn't they pay up to his max? Like I said, I don't really understand all this.

The other driver may only carry the minimum. If he is 17 and has nothing to lose like a business, why carry more liability? You can't get blood from a stone.

I recently learned that I didn't have the coverage to sue myself in case of an accident. I added it for about $200/yr. Well worth it since $25K doesn't go very far if you are really injured.

I bought a new car 2 weeks ago and was rear ended on the second day. I had minimum damage, about $350 worth to the bumper. I received 5 phone calls from attorneys willing to help me sue for pain and suffering. What a scam.

ah, see I know little about the way it all works. I guess I check w/ his usaa next week to see his liability amount. Now a ? why his minimum amt? Wouldn't they pay up to his max? Like I said, I don't really understand all this.

Basically if he's got the state min which I believe for Ga is 25k per person and 50 each accident, meaning the most any one person can get is only $25k and the most they can pay out is $50k if there are more than 1 injured party..USAA isn't going to do anything until all your medical treatment is complete or they run out of policy limits.. Your pay and medical bills are part of you BI claim with USAA..Now once the policy limits are tendered then you will need to get the policy limits exhausted letter from USAA and send it into your insurance, once that is done then your um/uim will kick in for whatever is left over...Now if you get an attorney they will basically file every type of insurance you have to see if they will get money..They'll ask usaa for the limits tender and basically ask for your um/uim limits also. Then they'll pay your bills/wages and then they will take their cut which from my understanding is like 35% and then you'll get whatever is leftover which will basically be nothing..

I may be in trouble then, however his dad is a retired General. aside, Hopefully he has great coverage....I have usaa in my autos, USAA doesn't insure bikes, they throw it to Progressive etc. my bike was via progressive, I will relook, but I don't think I had any extra on my progressive. It's been 2 months since I glanced at it. I was so doped up on pain meds for weeks, not sure what I saw. I will lok now!

You also need to see if you have stacked coverage. That means you can get the limits for all autos on the policy, and possibly homeowners insurance too. My boyfriend was hit on his bike and had to sue himself. They had a stacked policy, for 3 autos, plus his dads homeowners insurance (the policy was in dads name). After medical bills, attorneys fees and such, he walked with only $300,000. The total suit was twice that amount.

Talk to a credible attorney, not just an ambulance chaser.

here is mine:
Bodily injury & property damage liability --BI=$25K per person, $50K per each accident
Property dam. liability--$25K ea acc.
Uninsured Motorist again $25 K per person, $50K per accident
UM property-$25 k less $250 deduct
Comprehensive $500 deduct _ I think USAA paid that to progressive when I settled the bike part already, USAA reimbursed my Proferessive.
I had extra accessory up to $3000, which was used somewhat on bike

I guess I can find out theirs? correct if I call them back next week? I am allowed to know what I am up against? yes/no?

BTW thanks for help and info all. I have never had to use my insurance nor an attorney, well not for this sort of situation!

I know their USAA contact told me the same as someone above said, once I am done, and turn in all my info, bills, work wages etc, they would settle and pay pain and suffering, that I only know what I looked up, and is yet TBD

Looks like you have $25,000 for uninsured motorist which will pick up any bills after the kids insurance is exhausted. It isn't much, but it is better than nothing. In Florida, all the medical bills go through your own insurance first. I am pretty sure you have exhausted the $25,000 bodily injury on your policy by now.

here is mine:
Bodily injury & property damage liability --BI=$25K per person, $50K per each accident
Property dam. liability--$25K ea acc.
Uninsured Motorist again $25 K per person, $50K per accident
UM property-$25 k less $250 deduct
Comprehensive $500 deduct _ I think USAA paid that to progressive when I settled the bike part already, USAA reimbursed my Proferessive.
I had extra accessory up to $3000, which was used somewhat on bike

I guess I can find out theirs? correct if I call them back next week? I am allowed to know what I am up against? yes/no?

With your um/uim limits your only gonna get $25k...Your not eligible for BI since that covg is only for 3rd party

Nat Geo is showing Outlaw Bikers tonight at 9:00 featuring the Bandidos from 2009, I wonder if they will update it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT