ADVERTISEMENT

Bootleg Fireworks (video)

We should celebrate the 4th by going to pick up a few newly liberated 64oz growlers from Intercoastal Brewing.

he appears to be Chrisitain.

fwiw, illegal fireworks are legal in Georgia as of July 1.

So are the fireworks in GA the good ones like they sell in Alabama or are they the crappy ones that they sell in FL?

I'm not sure how good they are here in Ga, but a ton ended in our yard, pool, RV and roof. Was not a happy camper. (from a neighbor) I love the 4Th, fireworks and all that fun stuff, but I prefer our valuable property stay in tact. Here is to hoping they go to one of the official firework shows tonight. I didn't say anything to them last night, but almost did. Till i heard em say that it was the last one.

So this morning we picked up all kinds of fireworks debris in our yard and pool, luckily it had been wet grass, I had hosed down the rv roof and propane tank covers. So no fires, just stayed on alert...tonight...we shall see. We are staying home with our three dogs, keep em calm and happy.

So are the fireworks in GA the good ones like they sell in Alabama or are they the crappy ones that they sell in FL?
You can get the good stuff in FL if you know where to go. There's a little tent on University Blvd that opens up for new year's and 4th of July. There's also a place called Phantom Fireworks near Jax. Then you have those little gas stations off I10 I think they're near Madison...?

You can get the good stuff in FL if you know where to go. There's a little tent on University Blvd that opens up for new year's and 4th of July. There's also a place called Phantom Fireworks near Jax. Then you have those little gas stations off I10 I think they're near Madison...?

I go to Alabama to get the good stuff. I have an office in Marianna so not very far from there. I am in Tallahassee and you cannot buy the serious mortars like you can there. I was wondering if GA will be similar.

I go to Alabama to get the good stuff. I have an office in Marianna so not very far from there. I am in Tallahassee and you cannot buy the serious mortars like you can there. I was wondering if GA will be similar.
I remember a place on the road to Dothan is that sold fireworks. Is that what you're referring to?

I've never found there to be any difference in the caliber of the fireworks in bama/Carolina vs what you can get in Florida. The difference I have seen is in the cost. For a similar product, you'll pay twice as much (maybe more) in Florida.

I've never found there to be any difference in the caliber of the fireworks in bama/Carolina vs what you can get in Florida. The difference I have seen is in the cost. For a similar product, you'll pay twice as much (maybe more) in Florida.

Obviously, it's all the same junk. It's not like there are special manufacturers for the "pyro-elite" in Alabama. Maybe the prices are more in Florida because of the perception that tourists will buy anything.

You never know what you're going to get. Last night the "roman candles" were pretty dang cool. Each one had 5 shots that looked like mortar bursts. That was a big surprise the first time it happened. The bottle rockets were almost all duds. They shot their wad about 7 feet off the ground for the most part. Probably 2/12 functioned correctly. The mortar tube was ok, but like always, it's a lot of work for a quick payoff. The "grand finale" was pretty good for a backyard show if I say so myself. It was a 23-shot box of mini mortars that went off in sequence from one fuse. We always go to the back corner of the lot, near the retention pond so people all around the pond can see it and any mishaps will hopefully go into the water. The final 3-shot burst took up our whole field of vision over the pond. Pretty fun time. AND I still have my eyebrows, so I got that going for me.

We had 12 mortars, and the second set were so very good. I do like the multiple shot packs of mortars. We also had those same Roman candles that sparkled on the way up and popped about 30 feet up. They were cool. Next year I am going to work on making a mortar launching apparatus. So I can Daisy chain multiple mortars together for a more continously effect.

Reactions: Bartdog
Talk to FF....I believe he lights up the neighborhood.

i think they don't make bottle rockets like they used to. And they're nowhere near as fun to shoot up in the air vs at each other.

Had the usual mortars and rockets this year, but I got some firecrackers called Big Boss Flowers. If you ever see them get a few - they're like the old M80s. You could definitely blow up a mailbox with these.

all the good ones they sell anywhere in the u.s. are now legal in Ga. as of July 1, of course you need a government permit to sell so probably not everyone was set up yet. but if you live in fla, soon you can just drive to Ga. to get fireworks and not have to all the way to Bama.

that said, i live in Ga. and we drove to Tennessee on July 5 to go whitewater rafting. we cross the border on a backroad and there are tons of tents set up selling fireworks. actually, they were closing down and had a 50% off sale, so we got a ton of stuff at good prices. brick of 8o firecrackers for 4 bucks. bottlerockets 1.50 a gross. mortars - dozen balls - 6 bucks.

probably the coolest, although least violent, thing we got were these chinese lanterns. were about 3 feet tall, you light the bottom like a candle and it slowly floats away. goes up a few hundred feet, and floats for at least a mile before the fuel burns out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericram and Bartdog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT