ADVERTISEMENT

Bucs not letting Winston play baseball

LT4PLY

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2006
I didn't see a thread on it here... word is he has a specific ban from playing baseball in his new Bucs contract. So much for any hope he plays for the Rays or the Braves.

I didn't see a thread on it here... word is he has a specific ban from playing baseball in his new Bucs contract. So much for any hope he plays for the Rays or the Braves.

From interviews I saw with him during the off season he was done playing baseball regardless. He wanted to focus all his time on football.

The part that is amazing to me about this is that Kenny Felder is one of Jameis' agents. There can't be too many other guys in FSU history who can provide more insight into giving up one sport for another. Taiwan Easterling is the only other name that comes to mind.

The part that is amazing to me about this is that Kenny Felder is one of Jameis' agents. There can't be too many other guys in FSU history who can provide more insight into giving up one sport for another. Taiwan Easterling is the only other name that comes to mind.

Charlie Ward says hi. Granted it was Basketball for football, but did in essence give up 1 sport for another and had a pretty long career in the NBA.

Charlie Ward says hi. Granted it was Basketball for football, but did in essence give up 1 sport for another and had a pretty long career in the NBA.
Oh yeah! That's a good one! Weren't Weinke, Ward, and Felder all in the same recruiting class?

Did anyone really think he was going to try and play both? As a pitcher especially?

I actually thought TB might be smart about it and get the Rays (or another team) to take him as a low use relief pitcher with the idea to use him just when needed.

This would have let the Bucs potentially pay a lower signing bonus and Lord knows both the Bucs and the Rays could use the marketing help to put some butts in seats.

I actually thought TB might be smart about it and get the Rays (or another team) to take him as a low use relief pitcher with the idea to use him just when needed.

This would have let the Bucs potentially pay a lower signing bonus and Lord knows both the Bucs and the Rays could use the marketing help to put some butts in seats.
Maybe they could mandate to the Rays that he only throw fastballs too. The Bucs aren't going to allow their franchise QB to ride the bus in the minors during the summer and potentially open him up to a serious arm injury. And the Rays or another MLB team aren't going to have a guy on the roster to use only as needed.

Didn't he tell the Bucs that baseball is his true love and the football "thing" was temporary?
If so....just another head scratcher of a comment.

He plays closure so as needed in the sense of baseball is a small lead in the 9th. Usually closures are more nerves so it fits the bill. I'm no sports dr. But throwing one inning only on tight leads seems reasonable but I could be off base

He plays closure so as needed in the sense of baseball is a small lead in the 9th. Usually closures are more nerves so it fits the bill. I'm no sports dr. But throwing one inning only on tight leads seems reasonable but I could be off base
It's not just injury. The mechanics are different. One of Winston's very few faults as a QB is that his pitching has made his football throwing motion less than ideal at times.

Honestly I don't know that JW was ever gonna make it in MLB anyway. His meal ticket is football.

Honestly I don't know that JW was ever gonna make it in MLB anyway. His meal ticket is football.

He'd likely make it if he concentrated on it full time. But by concentrating on football fulltime he can win a superbowl.

Interestingly, Jeff Cameron talked to somebody in baseball personnel who'd watched, and listened (to Winston's power / the crack of a wood bat when he really got a good swing) as Winston took batting practice, and this person said he could develop into a good enough hitter to get a job as an outfielder if he concentrated on it. I think he could have got a job as a reliever as well. But why concentrate full time on baseball to be a journeyman in the pros when you can concentrate full time and a be a star QB in the NFL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT