ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Shortage Running Into ‘22-‘23?

FisherWilcoxTaggart Survivor

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2020
What the hell? Reading reports that the shortage is getting worse, and that relief could be another 12-18 months off. Auto dealers are already running on fumes in terms of inventory…..not good.

I have a good friend who owns a Toyota dealership. He is lucky if he has 10 new car on his lot to sell at any time. BUT, they are having record sales because people ordering vehicles. At any given time they have 120-140 cars ordered for customers.

I did a search, and the articles are all over the place. Some say over by the end of the year and some say 2023, so who knows.
GM is saying they are ramping up production so they are getting chips from somewhere.
I've also heard that new car availability will be normal this fall and used car prices will then plummet.

I did a search, and the articles are all over the place. Some say over by the end of the year and some say 2023, so who knows.
GM is saying they are ramping up production so they are getting chips from somewhere.
I've also heard that new car availability will be normal this fall and used car prices will then plummet.
Ford closed some plants this week.

Reactions: MagNoleA
I heard glass for laptops and monitors are in short supply. We buy computers, laptops, and monitors for our customers. We also load them with all the apps they need. Our vendor gave us the heads up.

It is not just chips. I have had a 4 year old AC unit out since May 20th and cannot get a replacement condenser coil. So they are now going to replace the entire system.

I hope this will be a wake up call for America about how much we have come to depend on inferior products coming from China. Maybe held hostage would be a better term than depend. I know the reliability of products I use on a daily basis has gone down hill since the electronic controls have started using Chinese components in the controls.

Wall Street Journal reports that VW says that the shortage is really not getting better. It may well be that 2023 is becoming a more realistic date. By the way the chips are still largely made in Japan and Taiwan. Good allies - but if the Chinese move on Taiwan we got big problems.

Goldie I have no doubt you are right about most of our chips coming for Japan and Taiwan. However the two things I deal with the most which are highly electronic circuit controlled are welding machines (very high end specialty welders) and out board engines. I know in both of those cases if you pull a board or a computer off they will have china stamped on them. I also know in those two instances I see far more electronic circuity issues now than when the boards and computers were not made in China . Now China may be assembling the control boards and function controlling computers from Japanese and Taiwanese chips, but the quality sucks. Don't even get me started on the china made steel.

Reactions: goldmom
Goldie I have no doubt you are right about most of our chips coming for Japan and Taiwan. However the two things I deal with the most which are highly electronic circuit controlled are welding machines (very high end specialty welders) and out board engines. I know in both of those cases if you pull a board or a computer off they will have china stamped on them. I also know in those two instances I see far more electronic circuity issues now than when the boards and computers were not made in China . Now China may be assembling the control boards and function controlling computers from Japanese and Taiwanese chips, but the quality sucks. Don't even get me started on the china made steel.
Oh I agree. I was thinking of the chips in autos.
China produces knockoff things at lower prices and overall lower quality. With technology they stole from us.

Reactions: divinnole
It is not just chips. I have had a 4 year old AC unit out since May 20th and cannot get a replacement condenser coil. So they are now going to replace the entire system.
Good luck with that. I’ve been asking for quotes on above 18 seer units and so far nobody has them.

I bought a 2019 Acura RDX in April from the dealership where I worked using my employee discount. It's worth about $6,000 more now than what I paid for it. 😁
Yes but since the price of all used cars has gone up, relatively speaking, it's value has stayed the same.
😎

Now that the critical “Chair” issue has been resolved, maybe these folks can focus on actually building and selling products. Crazy idea, huh?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT