ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Slaw

Cole Slaw

• Total voters

DanC78

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 29, 2003
I used to hate the stuff. But now I'm finding myself almost enjoying it.

Slaw done right is a great side - fresh and not too vinegary or too sweet.

Cole slaw done right (w/fruit or something off the beaten path) IS a great side...but it's very rarely ever done right. Usually it's disgusting.

I voted no.

I've been doing a purple cabbage and Granny Smith slaw (the cabbage dyes it pink so you've got pink and dark purple) for a decade or more. I use a mild palm or coconut vinegar and then add in a little sriracha, pickled horseradish, celery seeds, poppy seeds, mustard seeds and a high grade blue cheesy smelling Vietnamese fish sauce for added umph and use more milk and creme fraiche than Mayo as the base. It usually goes over well at parties as long as I don't say what's in it.

I don't like the store made stuff because it's too sweet. Yecch. I like to make my own and most of the time will use just the shredded cabbage. No carrots, no raisins, no sugar.
Celery and caraway seed, oil, vinegar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some mayo.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Why? Ive never met anybody that doesn't like slaw.

Total opposite over here. I've had numerous conversations at dinner tables making fun of the fact that it's always the designated free side.

But, this pole has enlighten me.

I've always liked it on my fish tacos.

Used to be a restaurant in Pensacola called Cock of the Walk. They had the best cole slaw I have ever had and it's not even close.

Poe's in Jax has a cole slaw made with blue cheese that is really good.

Poe's slaw is the shizz

I hate most restaurant cole slaws because they drop a pound of sugar in it. I like cole slaw with a vinegar base.

Collard greens are another thing I'm hesitant to order at a restaurant because most put sugar in them. Greens ain't sposed to have sugar in them.

Poe's slaw is the shizz

I hate most restaurant cole slaws because they drop a pound of sugar in it. I like cole slaw with a vinegar base.

Collard greens are another thing I'm hesitant to order at a restaurant because most put sugar in them. Greens ain't sposed to have sugar in them.

Little bacon grease and salt pepper is all you need....and a piece of corn bread if you're really doing it right!

It's ok as a condiment on hot dogs or a more exotic version on fish tacos, but I hate it as a side. Also there's this sandwich at Publix called the mojo pork with a slaw on top, kind of like the firehouse subs pork n slaw that's very good.

Reactions: DanC78
My son loves the K of C cole slaw and will rarely eat any others. It is hard to find someone who makes their own and have it made right. Because mayo is involved, I generally won't ask for cole slaw at a place that I am unfamiliar with.

My wife and I do an Asian slaw with bagged cole slaw and this real Ginger dressing you can find at Publix called Makato. Throw in a package of ramen noodles (minus seasoning) and chopped cilantro and it makes a damn good slaw.

The vast majority of Cole slaw is terrible so I vote no. Most places cannot make a decent Cole slaw! Not worth my time.

My wife and I do an Asian slaw with bagged cole slaw and this real Ginger dressing you can find at Publix called Makato. Throw in a package of ramen noodles (minus seasoning) and chopped cilantro and it makes a damn good slaw.
Crazy thing about that is Makotos is a local restaurant over in a strip mall in Melbourne. One thing lead to another and somehow their dressing is sold all over the world now.

The vast majority of Cole slaw is terrible so I vote no. Most places cannot make a decent Cole slaw! Not worth my time.
The issue with slaw and any other similar type of salad is that it has a time window when it is good. It has to have enough time for the flavors to meld, but not so much that the ingredients get soggy. Most restaurants and stores make their slaw in bulk and it sits too long. Fresh is best. Homemade slaw is great if done right about about an hour or two before it is served depending on the base veg. Like I said earlier, I prefer broccoli or kale slaw as it stands up a little better than cabbage.

I go to the Tijuana Flats right there all the time, and have just never been to that BBQ place, have always wondered about it. The wife doesn't eat meat anymore, so I rarely get to do BBQ, unless I'm on my own, and 4 Rivers is technically closer, so.... But I'll give it a shot eventually I'm sure.

ADVERTISEMENT