ADVERTISEMENT

College soccer about to go to big changes?

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
This is good... and could keep NCAA soccer relevant in the US. However, I think what we will see happen (if we don't already) is college soccer will resemble baseball where most of the best players bypass college all together and go professional at 18 (or earlier?). This is fine but you will see the occasional soccer equivalent to JD or Stephen Drew make it big going the traditional college route. It also keeps the fabric of American tradition (college sports) alive in the growing game here in the US.

The best thing for America soccer is the obvious view that the current college season has to change.

Full link below...

Under a proposal formulated by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America, the number of official team days would grow to 144 from 132. Teams would open training camp in late August, hold two friendlies, then play 13 matches between mid-September and the weekend before Thanksgiving. (Currently, some teams play two friendlies and as many as 24 games between late August and the holiday.)

From late November until late February, teams would go on winter break, restricted to eight hour-long training sessions. Spring training camp would begin in late February and include one friendly. The season would resume in mid-March and include nine regular season matches, plus conference and NCAA tournament games.

This post was edited on 7/28 10:24 AM by GwinnettNole

This post was edited on 7/28 10:25 AM by GwinnettNole

College soccer changes

Without reading the link, are they using the "fall season" as part of determining the NCAA tournament? What about "friendlies"? And if not, then what's the difference between this and now (fall season = NCAA season, but they still have a spring season as well)?

Originally posted by fsUTampa:
Without reading the link, are they using the "fall season" as part of determining the NCAA tournament? What about "friendlies"? And if not, then what's the difference between this and now (fall season = NCAA season, but they still have a spring season as well)?
Read the article- it's pretty straightforward. They want to make the college season go from the fall through the end of spring, with a championship in May or so. It would spread the games out over a longer period of time instead of cramming them all in the fall.

This would also gurantee more practice time... I think a few friendlies would happen before the season (as in exhibition matches).

I think it's a win win for USA soccer and something that Klinsman has been complaining about. But like I said if I'm a top player I'm following baseball's lead and going pro at 18.

The change would also impact the MLS draft, which is held every January ? a month after the college season ends.[/I]
If the draft remained at the same time of the year, just before training camps open, would players be tempted to turn pro halfway through the college season? Or would they not become eligible for MLS until the summer? If so, they would miss out on four months in a pro environment and perhaps never figure into that season's plans. Moving the draft to June would have the same effect.

How about they move the MLS season to better match up with the rest of the leagues around the world. If MLS played August - May like just about everyone else, having a draft in June wouldn't be an issue. The players could just leave school, get drafted, and show up in camp for their pro team a few days later.

Originally posted by FSUdawg:

The change would also impact the MLS draft, which is held every January ? a month after the college season ends.[/I]
If the draft remained at the same time of the year, just before training camps open, would players be tempted to turn pro halfway through the college season? Or would they not become eligible for MLS until the summer? If so, they would miss out on four months in a pro environment and perhaps never figure into that season's plans. Moving the draft to June would have the same effect.

How about they move the MLS season to better match up with the rest of the leagues around the world. If MLS played August - May like just about everyone else, having a draft in June wouldn't be an issue. The players could just leave school, get drafted, and show up in camp for their pro team a few days later.
In the USA, having the MLS August-May would be a death blow to the league. Currently, they're only matched against baseball (and we've seen the growing trend towards soccer creeping up on baseball in the country, as Gwinnett has posted elsewhere). The MLS is gaining tv ratings and attendance currently. Put it August-May, and they're swamped by the other sports.

I see this mentioned a lot. Would the weather in North America keep the MLS at spring/summer/fall? On a different board there was a similar discussion take a look at this reply in regards to why the UK can play in the dead of winter versus the weather constraints in the US.

Most of the UK is very mild in winter

Down on the south coast of the UK and London, average highs in all winter months are between 46F - 50F and lows 35F - 43F

In the north even in places like Newcastle and Sunderland, winters are similar to here and no football stadium in the English Premier League is in a city with an average low below 33F in winter. Places like Washington, New York, all of central north America and upwards of North Carolina have colder winters than the UK

So they are switching to the golf and tennis models...not a bad idea given that the teams come from all over the country and weather can become an issue...much more of one than in England.

Originally posted by Vizike Is Back!:
Not sure how "big" those changes are.
Pretty substancial IYAM. It would be a big win for US soccer. Practicing and playing in meaningful games 3 months a year vs 8 months a year is pretty big.

They need to change the stupid college substitution rules.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by GwinnettNole:
I see this mentioned a lot. Would the weather in North America keep the MLS at spring/summer/fall? On a different board there was a similar discussion take a look at this reply in regards to why the UK can play in the dead of winter versus the weather constraints in the US.

Most of the UK is very mild in winter

Down on the south coast of the UK and London, average highs in all winter months are between 46F - 50F and lows 35F - 43F

In the north even in places like Newcastle and Sunderland, winters are similar to here and no football stadium in the English Premier League is in a city with an average low below 33F in winter. Places like Washington, New York, all of central north America and upwards of North Carolina have colder winters than the UK
They will never change the MLS season for this reason. I think it's snow more than temps. For example, you can't count on a snow-free field in Colorado anywhere between October and May. Pretty much same for Salt Lake City.

Originally posted by kc78:
They need to change the stupid college substitution rules.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
If you change the college sub rules to the international game, you eliminate a good percentage of college roster spots. Not sure that would go over well for Title IX, etc purposes

Yes, but you're not actually preparing players to play at a professional level by allowing them to sub in and out at will. At the very least change it for Men's soccer, then you have less impact on Title IX in any way that causes issues for women's sports.

Yes, but you're not actually preparing players to play at a professional level by allowing them to sub in and out at will. At the very least change it for Men's soccer, then you have less impact on Title IX in any way that causes issues for women's sports.
So then you're limiting the total spots available for men's soccer. Honestly, from an NCAA point of view, why do they have to "prepare players for a professional level"?

Also keep in mind that the NCAA only allows 9.9 scholarships per team for men and 14 for women anyhow, so reducing spots doesn't reduce scholarships or effect title IX. It does potentially reduce spots on a team, but the players would get fuller coverage for a scholarship which seems to be a better benefit.

Considering that the role of college is to prepare you for a career, one would think the NCAA would want the best players coming through their teams and then playing in the pros as they do in other sports. With the growth of club teams in the US, many of the best players may start skipping college all together if they truly want a professional career.

So then you're limiting the total spots available for men's soccer. Honestly, from an NCAA point of view, why do they have to "prepare players for a professional level"?
That's a very good point.

I'm not sure changing sub rules would change roster #'s necessarily. Hoops carries 15 guys but in no way plays close to any of them. The relatively large roster doesn't seem to affect the popularity or preparation of the sport.

Originally posted by NoleMoreTears:

That's a very good point.

I'm not sure changing sub rules would change roster #'s necessarily. Hoops carries 15 guys but in no way plays close to any of them. The relatively large roster doesn't seem to affect the popularity or preparation of the sport.
And soccer can have rosters in the 30s, but I bet they don't play close to that. Keep hoops to allowing 1-2 subs per game (and not allowed to return), and those 15 quickly dwindle to single-digits.

Possible: NCAA allows 13 and 15 schollies for hoops so if that rule didn't change, I don't know that the roster would. Maybe in some lower lever programs...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT