ADVERTISEMENT

Comic book movies

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
Anyone else have zero interest in all these movies based on comic books? I don't get the attraction.

And I see a Fantastic Four remake is coming out soon. About time, it's been like 10 years already.

Comic book flicks are just high budget action movies. I grew up on 80s action films, Commando, Conan, Charlse Bronson, Chuck Norris etc. Now studios are pumping money into franchises and super hero movies have essentially been around since the early 40s. That's nearly 80 years of untapped source material.

I like some of them a lot, but some of them leave me flat. Saw Amazing Spiderman 2 yesterday on cable / wanted my money back.

Pretty much anything Marvel Studios has released has been good. Other than that, the recent Batman series and some of the X-Men movies have been good. Anything done by any other studio has been flat. I have hope for the next Spider-Man since Marvel has creative input for the first time. I have zero hope for the upcoming Fantastic Four or the Batman vs Superman movie coming out next. I thought the last Superman was absolutely terrible and none of the recent Spiderman movies have been any good.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
There's several comic book movies that have been really good to decent (non super hero based):

V for Vendetta
Road to Perdition
History of Violence
Red
American Splendor
Wanted
From Hell
Dredd
Weird Science
Ghost World
Sin City
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Persepolis
Darkman
Unbreakable (not based on a comic book but a super hero-ish film)

There's several comic book movies that have been really good to decent (non super hero based):

V for Vendetta
Road to Perdition
History of Violence
Red
American Splendor
Wanted
From Hell
Dredd
Weird Science
Ghost World
Sin City
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Persepolis
Darkman
Unbreakable (not based on a comic book but a super hero-ish film)

Yeah, Good point. I was thinking more of the superhero genre.

Personally, I love them. Not just because they're super heros but because they're well made. Good effects, directions, characters, plots, etc... The Marvel Cinematic Universe has a really good thing going right now and probably will for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Bartdog
Personally, I love them. Not just because they're super heros but because they're well made. Good effects, directions, characters, plots, etc... The Marvel Cinematic Universe has a really good thing going right now and probably will for the foreseeable future.
Or until Robert Downey Jr decides to quit. The casting in these things has been fantastic, especially since they got Ruffalo for Banner (although I like Norton a lot, I think MR is a better Banner).

Comic book flicks are just high budget action movies. Now studios are pumping money into franchises and super hero movies have essentially been around since the early 40s. That's nearly 80 years of untapped source material.

And a built in audience.

Reactions: Rhino_nole
Or until Robert Downey Jr decides to quit. The casting in these things has been fantastic, especially since they got Ruffalo for Banner (although I like Norton a lot, I think MR is a better Banner).

RDJr may have carried the early films but those days are long gone. Chris Pratt and Chris Evans have carried their characters and Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange is another "great" actor added to the mix.

Reactions: fsuksig
RDJr may have carried the early films but those days are long gone. Chris Pratt and Chris Evans have carried their characters and Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange is another "great" actor added to the mix.
True, have to agree on Pratt, and I do like Evans. Pratt I would put up there with RDJr, but I think many people could have taken Evans place (as long as they had the look). I'm looking forward to Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool even though I know almost nothing about him other than some funny memes/pictures.

Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange is excellent casting. Dude is so good in Sherlock/.

Reactions: Bartdog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT