ADVERTISEMENT

COVID outbreak on campus?

Only two of those apply to your comment about tens of thousands of deaths (flu and HIV). Zika virus does not result in tens of thousands of deaths globally, nor does the common cold. Ebola has killed a total of about 14,000-15,000 people in Africa over the course of two epidemics (2014-2016 and 2019). West Nile viruses has caused under 10,000 deaths.
The common cold kills 19K Americans a year. That’s two tens of thousands. If we tracked the common cold deaths like we do C19 the number would be much higher.

regardless, we don’t shut down anything over these viruses that kill Americans year in and year out. That’s just a fact.

Many of my daughter's friends, sorority sisters, and even one of her three roommates have tested positive in the past week. We assumed she would have it too given the exposure, so we sent her to get a test last night when she came home for the long weekend. Surprisingly came back negative, so she's giving blood today & will hopefully find out she has the antibodies.

FWIW, and no surprise here, between my junior daughter & freshman son none of their friends who've had it (which at this point has to be close to 100) have experienced anything worse than minor cold symptoms, and most didn't even have anything close to that.

Looking forward to the day when we accept that all kids will get it, and that's OK. Time to move on w/ our lives...
You nailed it. 100% correct. Let’s move on.

Reactions: TopJimmy
Based on that article the magazine should probably change its name to popular politics
Why, because you don't agree with what it says? Can you please specify what part of the article you think is 'politics'?

The common cold kills 19K Americans a year. That’s two tens of thousands. If we tracked the common cold deaths like we do C19 the number would be much higher.

regardless, we don’t shut down anything over these viruses that kill Americans year in and year out. That’s just a fact.
And where did you get those statistics? Please show me where I can find those numbers. I did not find any death numbers for the common cold on the CDC website. And note that "flu-like diseases'" does not equal the common cold.

Why, because you don't agree with what it says? Can you please specify what part of the article you think is 'politics'?
Of course I don’t agree with it. That isn’t science it’s pure conjecture, preys on fear and goes completely against any similar pandemic ever seen.

COVID isn’t the measles or similar highly contagious illness so it is ridiculous to compare it to the population immune levels necessary to keep those at bay.

There was so much garbage in that article that quite frankly I have no desire to rehash it. The article just simply shills for shut everything down.

And where did you get those statistics? Please show me where I can find those numbers. I did not find any death numbers for the common cold on the CDC website. And note that "flu-like diseases'" does not equal the common cold.
It’s incorrect to wipe away flu-like illness since two strains of flu virus make up the many viruses that are part of the common cold group of viruses. A regular killer linked directly to the common cold is RSV.

Regardless of that, those deaths are part of what is seen in any normal year. Epidemics and pandemics deal with excess deaths out of the norm.

Hi there, A younger sister of one of my friends is in Zeta at FSU and recently tested positive for COVID. She’s says it’s spreading like wild fire, all her roommates and half of her sorority have it along with many of the fraternities. Take this with a grain of salt, but she is saying they are implementing a curfew and discussing sending kids home. I am planning on coming up for the game next weekend, just wanted to see if anyone local has heard anything about this and how it may impact the game/football season?
Here is a website tracking COVID-19 cases at colleges and universities:

It’s incorrect to wipe away flu-like illness since two strains of flu virus make up the many viruses that are part of the common cold group of viruses. A regular killer linked directly to the common cold is RSV.

Regardless of that, those deaths are part of what is seen in any normal year. Epidemics and pandemics deal with excess deaths out of the norm.
I asked for the source of the number of deaths which you said were caused by the common cold. What is referred to as "flu-like" is not the same as the common cold. Symptoms associated with the Flu and "flu-like" conditions are more serious than those associated with the common cold.

Turning to on-the-ground reality for a moment, Tallahassee is experiencing a massive covid spike in the 32304 zip code with young adults comprising most of the new cases.

FSU is now initiating random, mandatory testing of all staff, facility and students on-campus. Students who do not comply may have swipe card access revoked, face student conduct charges, and continue classes only via remote learning.

Why out-of-town football fans would travel in for next weekend's game is a study in natural selection.

LeonZip0906-1.jpg

Turning to on-the-ground reality for a moment, Tallahassee is experiencing a massive covid spike in the 32304 zip code with young adults comprising most of the new cases.

FSU is now initiating random, mandatory testing of all staff, facility and students on-campus. Students who do not comply may have swipe card access revoked, face student conduct charges, and continue classes only via remote learning.

Why out-of-town football fans would travel in for next weekend's game is a study in natural selection.

LeonZip0906-1.jpg

1) requiring testing is bullspit.

2) I can't wait to attend the game, since I am healthy, no comorbidity issues, and I have a greater chance of dying in the drive from/to Tampa vs covid.

I asked for the source of the number of deaths which you said were caused by the common cold. What is referred to as "flu-like" is not the same as the common cold. Symptoms associated with the Flu and "flu-like" conditions are more serious than those associated with the common cold.
I didn’t make the common cold contention, i just responded to your comment to another poster that you see no data related to the common cold. The common cold can result in deaths, i have already provided RSV as an example of that.

We’re in September, yet we still don’t have accurate testing.

I didn’t make the common cold contention, i just responded to your comment to another poster that you see no data related to the common cold. The common cold can result in deaths, i have already provided RSV as an example of that.
The vast majority of common colds are caused by a large family of viruses (over 100) called Rhinoviruses (and a smaller number by some coronaviruses). I have not been able to find any data which supports those common cold viruses leading to a large number of deaths, if any. If you (or anyone else in the board) know of such data, I would be interested in seeing it. RSV, whose symptoms in some people can be similar to those of a bad cold, does typically cause deaths estimated at 14,000 annually, usually in people with co-morbidities. This number pales in comparison to the number of deaths caused by SARS-CoV2.

Reactions: TopJimmy
The vast majority of common colds are caused by a large family of viruses (over 100) called Rhinoviruses (and a smaller number by some coronaviruses). I have not been able to find any data which supports those common cold viruses leading to a large number of deaths, if any. If you (or anyone else in the board) know of such data, I would be interested in seeing it. RSV, whose symptoms in some people can be similar to those of a bad cold, does typically cause deaths estimated at 14,000 annually, usually in people with co-morbidities. This number pales in comparison to the number of deaths caused by SARS-CoV2.
And I was VERY clear that in no way were those deaths to be compared to a pandemic. Those RSV deaths are what are experienced in any normal year, these COVID deaths and related deaths due to insufficient care are excess to that.

obviously my opinions are just that but I do form them from a balance of current and historical data so that I can see what trends and outliers have or are occurring. I haven’t shied away from pointing out what I believe to be invalid contentions no matter which side of the fence a person sits on.

Reactions: Deerfuel2
And I was VERY clear that in no way were those deaths to be compared to a pandemic. Those RSV deaths are what are experienced in any normal year, these COVID deaths and related deaths due to insufficient care are excess to that.

obviously my opinions are just that but I do form them from a balance of current and historical data so that I can see what trends and outliers have or are occurring. I haven’t shied away from pointing out what I believe to be invalid contentions no matter which side of the fence a person sits on.
Ok, I can respect that.

Reactions: GbrNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT