ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Precautions

to be fair you did just recently post a UK study (that i have also previously posted) that found natural immunity dating back to december 2020 to be as good as or better than vaccinated immunity during that period. the study did also corroborate the recent Israel study findings that natural immunity plus vaccinated immunity provides the highest achievable level currently.

i don't think anyone anticipates natural immunity to be extremely long lasting, that just wouldn't be normal for coronaviruses, but it is proving to be longer lasting than the current available vaccine formulations without booster.

natural immunity will also protect against the virus as a whole whereas the vaccines specifically cause an immune response to its spike protein. recent mutations like E484K that specifically alter the spike protein of the virus lend the vaccines to be less effective. turkish health authorities have recently began seeing small quantities of delta variants with the E484K mutation. this is troubling.
How long? That's an honest question.

Reactions: GbrNole
How long? That's an honest question.
i agree and no one knows. antibody testing has just not been a regular part of this pandemic.

i will say this much, absent actual COVID symptoms people shouldn't rely on potentially having antibodies just from a PCR or rapid positive. they should get an antibody test too.

Reactions: ChiefWB
to be fair you did just recently post a UK study (that i have also previously posted) that found natural immunity dating back to december 2020 to be as good as or better than vaccinated immunity during that period. the study did also corroborate the recent Israel study findings that natural immunity plus vaccinated immunity provides the highest achievable level currently.

i don't think anyone anticipates natural immunity to be extremely long lasting, that just wouldn't be normal for coronaviruses, but it is proving to be longer lasting than the current available vaccine formulations without booster.

natural immunity will also protect against the virus as a whole whereas the vaccines specifically cause an immune response to its spike protein. recent mutations like E484K that specifically alter the spike protein of the virus lend the vaccines to be less effective. turkish health authorities have recently began seeing small quantities of delta variants with the E484K mutation. this is troubling.
Moderna's vaccine has been initially effective at fighting all forms of the virus, though immunity does wane over time. It should be considered stronger than Comirnaty at the moment. J&J and their data is missing in action 😒

Reactions: SteveT1 and GbrNole
i agree and no one knows. antibody testing has just not been a regular part of this pandemic.

i will say this much, absent actual COVID symptoms people shouldn't rely on potentially having antibodies just from a PCR or rapid positive. they should get an antibody test too.
As much as anything , it is critical we figure these things out as quickly as humanly possible as it appears we will be dealing with this for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: SteveT1 and GbrNole
Moderna's vaccine has been initially effective at fighting all forms of the virus, though immunity does wane over time. It should be considered stronger than Comirnaty at the moment. J&J and their data is missing in action 😒
moderna is a bigger dose though isn't it? i wonder if there would be any differences but for different dosing?

I'll be at the six month interval next week. I hope I can get the booster right away.
You can get the booster anytime if you are willing to "stretch the truth", if they ask. There are no requirments of a doctor's note or other documentation of immunocompromise. I tell my patients to let the pharmacy know their provider told them they should have it. Nobody has had an issue thus far.

Reactions: ericram and goldmom
You can get the booster anytime if you are willing to "stretch the truth", if they ask. There are no requirments of a doctor's note or other documentation of immunocompromise. I tell my patients to let the pharmacy know their provider told them they should have it. Nobody has had an issue thus far.
I hope most people wait until the 8 month mark.

Israel started booster shots in the 6th month and their data showed a free fall in antibodies beginning in the 5th month. I believe (MY personal/professional opinion, not documented anywhere) that we are saying 8 months because by the time we agreeded with data from other countires. people had their shots for more than 6 months. So the US said 8 to get prepared.

If my elderly patients are 6 months out, I tell them to get prepared for the booster.

Again, JMHO

Vaccinated, angling for a booster, shop early when stores first open, wear a mask in stores and crowded settings, stay strictly away from restaurants, don't sit near FSU students at soccer games, don't go to opening football game, don't listen to on-line dogma.

Fully vaxxed since April. Stopped wearing a mask indoors for a while, but now wearing again. Will eat in restaurants and take off mask. Don't wear them outside. If I feel I'm in a vulnerable place, will do my best to socially distance.

I will readily admit I am pro-science, pro-vaccine, pro-mitigation efforts but also pro-doing things I want to do (while being mindful of risks). Not saying it's right or wrong. Just the way I've handled things for myself and my family.

are there any internal thoughts on that? the booster looks to be a third 0.3ml dose in pfizer's case (same as the first two shots) from government data available.

i had wondered if the dosing might be different for the booster but that doesn't appear to be the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT