ADVERTISEMENT

De'Andre Johnson video SIAP

Bartdog

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2002
Jax
This is the first time I've seen video of the incident posted. The altercation starts about 1:50. He tries to push [back?] in front of her, she raises a fist, he grabs the fist, she pops him in the nose with her left and he pops her with a right and walks away.

Looked worse than I was hoping it would. Kinda shocked at the lack of reaction from the bartenders.

Seriously no reason to punch her back there, zero threat to actually hurting him, she looked really drunk.

It's still mutual assault, you don't really hear that here in Florida a lot, but when I was growing up in California you heard it a lot, it was a way for the police to charge both parties, then if both parties realized they would both be punished neither would press charges and keep the courts a little less swamped.

She clearly hit him first, I don't agree with him punching a smaller weaker person fundamentally, however she did punch him in the face first. I hope she learned a lesson.

I also think she should be charged with the same assault charge.

Additionally, I think he should be kicked off the team. Dummy.

Not an excuse, or even saying that I heard it somewhere, but the only thing that makes a modicum of sense for that type of reaction is a racial slur. Even then that is still a pretty bad video. Hard to see the young man remaining with the team/university after seeing that.

Not excusing his punch, but if you've ever been hit on the nose you're not thinking straight. Either way with that type of reaction he's probably gone from the team, court case is a different matter.

Once he grabbed her arm things turned ugly fast. You don't snatch people up like that. You don't throw a right cross at a chick in a bar. He's gone.

Reactions: finisher1225
I'm not interested hearing another word on the matter.

Kick him off the team now.

I think it's worth discussing as a case study for how not to end up int these situations
Has all the recipes for trouble
-drunk young people
-initiating contact
-escalating

Reactions: peezy28
I think it's worth discussing as a case study for how not to end up int these situations
Has all the recipes for trouble
-drunk young people
-initiating contact
-escalating
Don't disagree. Just meant I don't need to hear anything else. Kick him off the team now. The video is plenty of reason to do that. Any discussion can take place after that happens.

That was definitely drunk bitch bar behavior on her part Did you guys notice the hip check she gave him when trying to box him out of the bar. Doesn't deserve the right cross, no one will dispute that, but she looks like the fat white trash "I want to see the manager!" type that is confrontational and obnoxious as hell and will probably be in that type of situation the rest of her life.

It will be interesting to see if he's kicked off the team for good. Probably should be, that video will haunt him forever at FSU if he sticks around, especially as a starter. Send him to Auburn, North AL, or Akron.

Reactions: peezy28
She needs to be charged as well and he needs to be suspended for a year.

She was the aggressor. If she was a he, assault charges would have been filed.

Not defending him either. He should have walked away.

Not sure all the "she struck first" talk. He grabbed her arm pretty aggressively before she threw that weak punch. That was the first real offensive contact.

WTF. She had been waiting at the bar, in the extended video, and when a spot opened up DJ starts to not only lean his body into her back he holds on to the edge of the bar for even more leverage. Either he is sloppy drunk, underage, or being an ass. He is a div 1 football player for crying out loud and we see him using his weight and strength to pinch a girl into the edge of the bar. This is why she went full redneck and why he ends up in very hot water.

Last edited:
Not sure all the "she struck first" talk. He grabbed her arm pretty aggressively before she threw that weak punch. That was the first real offensive contact.

First, I think he was an ass trying to wedge himself in there (btw isn't he underage? Why did he have a wristband to get drinks?). He should have just walked away when she confronted him and definitely should not have thrown a punch. That being said, she had her hand cocked threatening a punch. He should have walked away then. He held his ground and in the words of Chris Rock, I don't condone it, but understand grabbing her arm so he didn't get a punch to the face. She ended up throwing the punch with her weak arm instead of the one he grabbed. At that point, again, he should have brushed it off and walked away. He decided to hit her, so he should be gone.

Look at her knee. She raised her fists while Kneeing him in the balls. Then he grabbed her hand and she threw a punch with the other.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
The video made the national news (CBS, I think). Just terrible, terrible timing. They should kick him off the team, then let him rejoin just so they can kick him off again.

Girl didn't even "make a fist" either. Watch it on a big screen. All she was doing was pointing her thumb back in the direction of the bar,not threatening to punch. And he decides it's ok to just grab her in some kind of hold. It was totally on him escalating that into the violent stage. She only tried to push away with her knee in the midsection, just as she said in the police affidavit. But if she were my mom, neice, etc, she had the green light from me to go full-on knee to the groin. He had no business whatsoever putting his hands on her in that manner

"He is currently participating in community service, and faith-based programs focused on battered women, substance abuse, and the empowerment of children." -Jose Baez.

LOL at Faith-Based programs managing to reform him. Unless his "faith" is Buddhism, his assumed Abrahamic sources aren't that really progressive or women-friendly. Same goes for Ray McDonald, Chris Rainey or AC Leonard on our side of the 50 yard line.

The truth is that violence against women, irrespective of the (in this case very slight) provocations is chickensh!t especially if you're an elite athlete capable of obliterating a grown man let alone a female.

A real man would never lay a violent hand on a woman out of anger. Ever.

Girl didn't even "make a fist" either. Watch it on a big screen. All she was doing was pointing her thumb back in the direction of the bar,not threatening to punch. And he decides it's ok to just grab her in some kind of hold. It was totally on him escalating that into the violent stage. She only tried to push away with her knee in the midsection, just as she said in the police affidavit. But if she were my mom, neice, etc, she had the green light from me to go full-on knee to the groin. He had no business whatsoever putting his hands on her in that manner
This is how I saw it. She was clearly trying to get him to let go of her as he was holding her arm very forcefully. I realize she threw a "punch" but come on, it was more of a flail and in no way would have actually hurt him.

Jimbo did the right thing. He'll go to JUCO for a year and have a chance to get back to D1 somewhere else.

Her thumb sticking out was just her poor form in making a fist. She was the total aggressor here. He grabbed her arm/hand to stop her from hitting him. Don't understand how that is not obvious.

Once he grabbed her arm things turned ugly fast. You don't snatch people up like that. You don't throw a right cross at a chick in a bar. He's gone.

that is actually the most exculpatory thing to me. she threatened with her right fist. he grabs it, she lands a left cross to his nose. he retaliates.

what charge is she facing?

Well, that escalated quickly. I wonder if they'd had a previous confrontation? Two people leave the bar, two people try to slide into a space that could probably fit three - yet within seconds they're pushing each other, then a few seconds later throwing punches. Not normal human behavior from either of them.
She surely looks like an angry beach with a nasty attitude, and was certainly in the wrong with her actions. He was also wrong in his actions/reactions. He had a lot to lose, and lose it he did. She could stand to lose some weight, I hope she does.
Other random thoughts:
*What bar is that?
*Is DJ the only guy in there who's wearing a shirt with sleeves?
*Was it "females eat free" night? All of the chicks I see look like they just finished emptying the troughs at the Golden Corral AYCE buffet. Maybe angry-chick is mad because GC ran out of food?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
that is actually the most exculpatory thing to me. she threatened with her right fist. he grabs it, she lands a left cross to his nose. he retaliates.

what charge is she facing?
Agreed. She's holding her fist up like she's going to punch him from the jump.

The list of things women are disadvantaged by is much longer than those in their favor, but this is one of the latter, and it is a shame it could end up ruining this young man's life. He was wrong, she was wrong, it's wrong to hit anyone for reasons as flimsy as both of them had; but it seems like only DJ will face any kind of punishment for this situation, which is an egregious inequity.

But as I said, the list of inequities women are disadvantaged by is substantially longer than the ones in their favor, so I won't take up this cause with too much fervor until those lists even out a bit.

I trust and support Jimbo's decision, although I think he probably felt public pressure to do what he did, which is a shame; especially since keeping DJ on the team, and suspending him indefinitely until he cleared himself of whatever comes of this, and earns his way back, would have been a far tougher punishment than kicking him out of school.

Reactions: noleclone2
Read a comment on Twitter saying Jimbo punished DJ in the manner he did because everyone is still angry that FSU didn't punish Jameis for something he did not do and their still demanding their pound of flesh.

Reactions: Lemon Thrower
Read a comment on Twitter saying Jimbo punished DJ in the manner he did because everyone is still angry that FSU didn't punish Jameis for something he did not do and their still demanding their pound of flesh.
Unfortunately, that's probably true, and if true would be the second time I was disappointed in him and FSU (during his tenure as HC). Still a great person, and has dealt with more than I'll probably ever have to, so I can't be too judgmental of him. But if FSU and/or Jimbo did this because of anything to do with Jameis or the other unfounded claims against FSU, then that makes the punishment even more egregious.

The odd thing I see about this situation is the comments from fans of other schools on social media. Apparently none of them have ever heard the term "glass houses" before, especially the SEC fans.

This is way more of a complicated a situation then I think many men are willing to give it. I feel bad for Johnson. To be clear he screwed up bad and he should not have hit her. And he is now paying a big price. I know this is not the PC take nor the common take, but the video for me, makes me more sympathetic to him than I was before.

Almost all men can recognize that in a perfect vacuum, it is never right to hit a woman unless there are some serious extenuating circumstances (and a drunk loon at a bar initiating a fight with you is not extenuating enough). For most men, this is an extremely easy principal to adhere to. As I am sure the other male posters here can attest, this is one value we really don't have to "work" at.

But for a small percentage of men, for some reason, they think it is ok (often after consuming alcohol or drugs) to hit a woman. But the thing is, when these men hit/assault members of the fairer sex, they are almost always are in a domestic violence situation. And since domestic violence involves either a lover or family member, the act is truly unforgivable because the man knows the woman he is assaulting. He knows who they are, why they are mad, and should know how to diffuse it or how to walk away without knocking her out in an elevator. The act almost has a premeditated feel to it.

This however not that case in this event where two strangers collided over literally the same square foot. In this case, Johnson got caught up in a 10 second escalation with a woman who really overreacted and escalated the entire event and made a poor decision to strike back. This to me makes it complicated to judge him so quickly or harshly. We can all say we would never hurt or hit a woman and as I said above, it is a pretty easy core value to live by. But we also have never been drunk and been verbally and physically assaulted an instant by an unknown woman either. I have watched the video a dozen times. It is fascinating. There was no time to diffuse the situation. Sadly, neither had friends there that could help diffuse it either. She just blows up. If you watch he gets wedged between a larger girl and the angry girl and finds himself in that no mans land of losing balance (he actually grabs the bar to prevent from almost falling). Angry girl makes no effort to give him space and I swear intentionally gives no inch like an NBA center boxing out her space. Finally, something has to give and the lesser sized girl gets moved a bit as he pops into the space. And in an instant she is clearly spewing angry words and most likely physical threats, holding her hand up to punch (not for a second is she pointing). He grabs her balled fist punching arm and says one thing and the girl then she tries to knee him in the groin and takes a swing at him, connecting in some fashion. This all happens in like 4 seconds. And Johnson then makes the wrong split second choice and punches her back. I think for many men like myself who have been never hit a woman and done so with little effort, this situation may be a bigger test than we realize. If I take an honest look and imagine a buzzed or drunk college age me having this woman do the exact same thing to me at a bar with zero warning, I would like to say I would have walked away. But, I am not sure I would not have swung back, and regretted it instantly. The whole think was so fast, it was almost a reflexive action.

Last evening on ESPN Radio's Jorge Sedano had a good take on it I though . Basically remind your sons it is never ok to strike a woman. You will never ever win that fight. But tell your daughters it is never ok to bow up to a man in public and act physically hostile and strike them or you may end up getting punched, even if you are a woman.

Last edited:

Of course the optics from that play into it, as well as the Ray Rice saga. Think FSU wants to see that video replayed over and over in the fall every weekend before our game? Personally, I think if there wasn't video he'd still be on the team. If there had been video of Ernie Sims or someone else fighting with a girlfriend they'd have been toast too in the current environment.

I think we should all get down to the real reason he is kicked off the team..... if you can't knock a drunk chick out with one punch you have no reason to be playing D1 ball...

He's all touch passes and accurate, no rocket lazer cannon arm.

ADVERTISEMENT