ADVERTISEMENT

Deaths from WWII

Saw that a few weeks ago, wowed at the 6 min mark when showing the russian death toll compared to the rest. Here is another graphic although not as powerful as the video.

2000px-World_War_II_Casualties2.svg.png

What amazes me about WW2 isn't simply the scale of death, but that it ran the gamut of conflict. From espionage and 'black ops', to deliberately laying waste to cities. Battles from the arctic to the jungles and even deserts. Practically every implement of war we can think of saw use somehow, somewhere.
The world thankfully hasn't seen a 'no holds barred' event like that since, and hopefully never will.

Reactions: nolelan
the u.s. involvement in the war was a sideshow.

Ummmm. No.
WW2 covers a lot more than the eastern front. There was that little thing in the Pacific going on too...

Ummmm. No.
WW2 covers a lot more than the eastern front. There was that little thing in the Pacific going on too...

nothing would have changed with the embargo of japan. they were out of oil and had to pull back. the u.s. enforced embargo is what triggered the war in the first place.

nothing would have changed with the embargo of japan. they were out of oil and had to pull back. the u.s. enforced embargo is what triggered the war in the first place.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Yes FDR's efforts to stop Japanese expansionism culminated in the oil embargo and the Japanese decision to attack the western colonial powers in the Pacific, but after seizing the Dutch East Indies the Japanese were more than self-sufficient in oil.
It wasn't a matter of sitting and waiting for Japan to 'pull back'. We had to go in and burn them out. Again and again.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Yes FDR's efforts to stop Japanese expansionism culminated in the oil embargo and the Japanese decision to attack the western colonial powers in the Pacific, but after seizing the Dutch East Indies the Japanese were more than self-sufficient in oil. It wasn't a matter of sitting and waiting for Japan to 'pull back'. We had to go in and burn them out. Again and again.

I went and read up on this........I had no clue there was that much oil in the Dutch East Indies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT