ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis announces no public school the rest of the school year...

FSUDoles

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2005
LBTS
I’m not sure where that puts us in Phase 1, 2 or 3 timeline.

I’ll say this, I’ve had to remember a lot about fractions

Reactions: FSUDoles
This isn’t surprising because I knew we weren’t going back, but still a little heartbroken. Im a football coach at a small high school in the state. Our school is such a tight knit little community. Really miss seeing our players and other students everyday. Everybody in the athletic department are all very good friends as well and haven’t seen them in over a month.

That being said, nothing gets accomplished in May in a regular school year, much less one where kids have been gone a month. No sense in going back.

Last edited:
My kid is lucky because my Ex and I both work from home. It's a struggle, to be sure, but I don't know how parents who have to go to an office do it.

I will say trying to teach math and make calls all day is difficult.

This pandemic is giving the medical profession the appreciation it deserves... bringing to light what a difficult profession it can be.

Maybe the population will have a better appreciation for teachers after this. Parents see the effort it takes to teach their children.

Imagine people doing it all day long with 20+ kids in each class, many of them not paying attention, distracting others, not to mention being downright rude and in some cases aggressive to the teachers.

I have no idea what the world is going to be like if we get past this thing, but I hope to God it brings a new sense of value and appreciation to many of these professions where the pay is relatively low and work is long and hard and the motivation is just to try to make the world a better place.

This pandemic is giving the medical profession the appreciation it deserves... bringing to light what a difficult profession it can be.

Maybe the population will have a better appreciation for teachers after this. Parents see the effort it takes to teach their children.

Imagine people doing it all day long with 20+ kids in each class, many of them not paying attention, distracting others, not to mention being downright rude and in some cases aggressive to the teachers.

I have no idea what the world is going to be like if we get past this thing, but I hope to God it brings a new sense of value and appreciation to many of these professions where the pay is relatively low and work is long and hard and the motivation is just to try to make the world a better place.

I left teaching over twenty years ago, and I worked in an affluent school district. Most of the parents had college degrees, and at least a third had one parent with a graduate degree. We still dealt with kids who came to school stoned, no breakfast, little sleep, and who were disrespectful. It wasn't as widespread then, but having started out as a substitute in other schools, I definitely saw some things that were upsetting and very disheartening. I think it's only gotten worse, because those kids I saw then are "parents" today, and I use the term lightly. I can't imagine their offspring are getting any instruction or guidance at all. Many aren't even eating regularly.

My kid is lucky because my Ex and I both work from home. It's a struggle, to be sure, but I don't know how parents who have to go to an office do it.

I will say trying to teach math and make calls all day is difficult.
That's why one thing that needs to change is that employers need to allow work from home to become permanent if the job allows it. Its estimated that 60% of the jobs can be & think of how much less exposure to sickness. Also, I just imagine the schools are going to be far more strict in sending kids home if they're sick. Parents will be more likely to keep thier kids home if they have the ability to work from home. Telemedicine & "go to meeting" need to become more of the norm. There are so many simple things we can do lessen exposure to all sickness. Just seems we're making this way to difficult by ignoring the simple stuff.

That's why one thing that needs to change is that employers need to allow work from home to become permanent if the job allows it. Its estimated that 60% of the jobs can be & think of how much less exposure to sickness. Also, I just imagine the schools are going to be far more strict in sending kids home if they're sick. Parents will be more likely to keep thier kids home if they have the ability to work from home. Telemedicine & "go to meeting" need to become more of the norm. There are so many simple things we can do lessen exposure to all sickness. Just seems we're making this way to difficult by ignoring the simple stuff.
I hope this is the case. Aside from the benefits you mentioned, it would have a huge impact on traffic, emissions, etc. Since so much of the country has such an adversity to public transportation, telecommuting may be the best answer.

Reactions: goldmom
I left teaching over twenty years ago, and I worked in an affluent school district. Most of the parents had college degrees, and at least a third had one parent with a graduate degree. We still dealt with kids who came to school stoned, no breakfast, little sleep, and who were disrespectful. It wasn't as widespread then, but having started out as a substitute in other schools, I definitely saw some things that were upsetting and very disheartening. I think it's only gotten worse, because those kids I saw then are "parents" today, and I use the term lightly. I can't imagine their offspring are getting any instruction or guidance at all. Many aren't even eating regularly.
Did you ever do any after school tutoring? Eating habits are very important.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT