ADVERTISEMENT

Dinner tab etiquette question

Gonolz

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 6, 2002
Indian Rocks Beach
A neighbor I don't know that well did me a favor last week, so I told him I would treat him to dinner this week. We set it up for tonight. In the meantime a buddy of his was having problems with his wife and my neighbor is letting him stay at his place few days. If his friend is just going to be sitting home alone at his condo, it wouldn't surprise me if the neighbor invites him to dinner with us, which is fine with me even though I have never met him.

I'm just wondering how people would handle it with respect to the check. Keep in mind that a series of events has wiped out my vast Locker Roomesque fortune and I now live the life of a mere working peasant.

Would you ask for a separate check for the friend or just go ahead and pick up the whole check?

On the way to the restaurant where you & your date are dining, spin through a drive-thru & get the buddy a burger & fries. As long as you don't tip it should be under five bucks, you can spring for that.

Reactions: 89nole
Your neighbor is making a fairly big faux pas by bringing someone along on a dinner he knows he's not going to be expected to pay for. To me, that's along the lines of ordering a ridiculous amount of food and/or alcohol, when it's understood you're just buying him a dinner.

That being said, if he does bring along the friend, I'd probably buy if his dinner is going to be under $20 and not think twice about it (maybe he's a cool dude and you just made a new friend too, who knows?). If it's going to be over $20, I still pay, but I just lock this away and never put myself in this position with this neighbor again.

Hmmmm. If I was the guy you were treating, I'd let you know up front that I was inviting him but that I'd pay his tab (or he'll pay his own). If I was you, and my guest failed to do this, then when the waitress first asked how to do the bill, I'd say I was picking it up. Hopefully the neighbor you are treating would then indicate he's treating his friend, or alternatively if the friend knows why this is happening (and doesn't think you're wealthy and generous), he should offer to pay his own tab.

If they don't, I wouldn't like it but I'd probably pay the full bill without further comment.

Reactions: Bud Fox
Gonolz is into dudes? When did this happen?

The-Big-Lebowski-WTF-Gif_408x408.jpg
waitwhat.gif

anigif_enhanced-13191-1410916382-6.gif
Aw-hell-naw.gif

When the waiter ask if this will be on separate checks, just say...you can put his on mine (pointing to your friend of course).

Your neighbors friend is having wife issues, not money issues. Matter of fact, he might be having the same question on another board somewhere.

"Staying on friends couch, do I pick up the tab for my buddy only, or should I pay for the other guys as well. My buddy did mention he has fallen on hard times?"

Gonolz is into dudes? When did this happen?

As he said in his original post,
"Keep in mind that a series of events has wiped out my vast Locker Roomesque fortune and I now live the life of a mere working peasant."

Matter of fact, he might be having the same question on another board somewhere.

"Staying on friends couch, do I pick up the tab for my buddy only, or should I pay for the other guys as well. My buddy did mention he has fallen on hard times?"

And on another board, a guy might be posting, "Did a little favor for my cute neighbor last week and asked me out to dinner to "repay" me. As luck would have it, one of my FWBs is staying at my house. This is all setting up so well. Wish me luck, details to come!!"

As he said in his original post,
"Keep in mind that a series of events has wiped out my vast Locker Roomesque fortune and I now live the life of a mere working peasant."

Chicks do dig a dude with a lot of money ... or a dude who is really good at pretending he has a lot of money. ;)

When the waiter ask if this will be on separate checks, just say...you can put his on mine (pointing to your friend of course).QUOTE]

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I wouldn't think his buddy would expect me to pick up his part, but just wanted to see how others would do things.

Reactions: DanC78
Take a tin can of sardines. Before ordering ask if you will be paying for both of them. If so just order water and eat your sardines while they enjoy their filet minion. Try to appear downtrodden the whole time.

That's funny!

Ok, so update. Buddy was there and at the bar when we got there and he was hitting on a couple tourist chicks. Neighbor and I grab a table and buddy says he'll be over in a little while. Neighbor tells me he is sick of Buddy already. Buddy is already drunk, because apparently he lost his job which is part of what caused his marital issues. He has just been drinking heavily all day and sponging off neighbor for the last 5 days or so. Buddy buys tourist girls some drinks while neighbor and I have our lobster dinners. Neighbor and I joke about it as he keeps hitting on girls who are not interested.

Perfectly timed, as we finish dinner, tourist girls get up and leave in a cab. Buddy comes over and Neighbor busts Buddy's balls and says "I thought you were going home with them so you have a place to sleep". Buddy catches on and says I'll be out in a couple days" and wanders off to hit on some 50-something year old lady. Apparently, Buddy is moving back in with his parents in a couple days. Neighbor breaks out a cigar, we have a couple more beers and I pick up the tab for two.

I had a nice meal and entertainment.

Ok, so update. Buddy was there and at the bar when we got there and he was hitting on a couple tourist chicks. Neighbor and I grab a table and buddy says he'll be over in a little while. Neighbor tells me he is sick of Buddy already. Buddy is already drunk, because apparently he lost his job which is part of what caused his marital issues. He has just been drinking heavily all day and sponging off neighbor for the last 5 days or so. Buddy buys tourist girls some drinks while neighbor and I have our lobster dinners. Neighbor and I joke about it as he keeps hitting on girls who are not interested.

Perfectly timed, as we finish dinner, tourist girls get up and leave in a cab. Buddy comes over and Neighbor busts Buddy's balls and says "I thought you were going home with them so you have a place to sleep". Buddy catches on and says I'll be out in a couple days" and wanders off to hit on some 50-something year old lady. Apparently, Buddy is moving back in with his parents in a couple days. Neighbor breaks out a cigar, we have a couple more beers and I pick up the tab for two.

I had a nice meal and entertainment.

Over the pants handy before or after cigars?

What did he do in the first place that made you feel like you owed him?

Helped me replace my broken garbage disposal. And by helped me, I mean he did it while I sat there watching drinking a beer.

I did take him to Mendy's. He only had soup, but I took him for a meal, so we are good, right?

Wait, Gonolz is the poors now?

Helped me replace my broken garbage disposal. And by helped me, I mean he did it while I sat there watching drinking a beer.

I did take him to Mendy's. He only had soup, but I took him for a meal, so we are good, right?

It depends, did he crumble any crackers in his soup, because if he did its a meal

And on another board, a guy might be posting, "Did a little favor for my cute neighbor last week and asked me out to dinner to "repay" me. As luck would have it, one of my FWBs is staying at my house. This is all setting up so well. Wish me luck, details to come!!"

George-Costanza-Seinfeld.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT