ADVERTISEMENT

Discover Card taking away benefits

Gonolz

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 6, 2002
Indian Rocks Beach
They spit on my cupcake and tell me it's frosting. They want me to be happy, so they take away some benefits of the card, LOL. Why can't companies just cut the BS that they are doing us a favor when they raise prices, reduce benefits, etc.? I have never used any of the removed benefits, but it still pisses me off that they would phrase it like they are doing something to make me happy.

I got this email:

"At Discover, we want you to be happy. That's why periodically review the valuable benefits that are built in to your Discover card. We have decided to retain some benefits - like purchase protection and price protection - and discontinue others.

What this means for you:
Effective August 1, 2015 Discover card will discontinue the following benefits: 24/7 Travel Assistance, Baggage Delay Insurance, and Emergency Roadside Assistance. If you have a loss or incident that occurs on or after August 1, 2015, it will not be covered by these benefits."

Discover card? I think I carried one in college after maxing out all my other cards. However, now, financially solvent I don't carry one. Am I missing out on Discover?

I charge everything to AMEX. I get 5% back on gas, groceries, and drug stores (no limit) and 1% on everything else. This specific AMEX isn't available anymore (much better deal than Blue), but I guess I'm grandfathered into it.

With any of these cards, sky miles, rewards programs, etc. - it's NEVER going to get better. Just be happy to hold your ground.

Costco is discontinuing their relationship with AmEx next year (boooooo!). Any suggestions for a new card?

Love the platinum card, but the loss of lounges really sucks. Thankfully I fly out of MIA most of the time and the Centurian lounge they just put in there is awesome. They are also doing things like the 100$ credit on the global entry fee.

Discover has its 5% categories which makes if a good card to have. One quarter you may get 5% on gas, another all online purchases, another quarter restaurants, etc. Also they were doing a promotion (too late to sign up now) where they will double your cash back earned in 1 year, which makes it ALMOST like 10% in those categories not factoring for the time value of money. And you get 1% on all non bonus categories, so that becomes like 2%. Better than any card without an annual fee.

Discover not being accepted anywhere is a myth, and as true as Amex not being accepted anywhere.

I personally don't use the card much anymore except when the category is restaurants or online purchases, but its benefits definitely make it a quality card, even for financially solvent people.

I really just use Discover on their 5% back categories, I was just annoyed with the way they communicated the reduction of benefits. I keep Discover, because hey, I'm retro.

I use B of A Rewards for gas (3%) and groceries (2%)

Capital One Quicksilver, 1.5% on everything else.

A couple other cards of mine have rotating 5% categories too and I'll use them there.

Love the platinum card, but the loss of lounges really sucks. Thankfully I fly out of MIA most of the time and the Centurian lounge they just put in there is awesome. They are also doing things like the 100$ credit on the global entry fee.

Since when doesn't the platty get you lounge access? Still works for the Sky Club as of last week.

Since when doesn't the platty get you lounge access? Still works for the Sky Club as of last week.
It's only delta and centurion. Lost all the others. Liked the admirals club in miami and Denver. Plus I think sky club charges you 30$ for every guest now.

They spit on my cupcake and tell me it's frosting. They want me to be happy, so they take away some benefits of the card, LOL. Why can't companies just cut the BS that they are doing us a favor when they raise prices, reduce benefits, etc.? I have never used any of the removed benefits, but it still pisses me off that they would phrase it like they are doing something to make me happy.

I got this email:

"At Discover, we want you to be happy. That's why periodically review the valuable benefits that are built in to your Discover card. We have decided to retain some benefits - like purchase protection and price protection - and discontinue others.

What this means for you:
Effective August 1, 2015 Discover card will discontinue the following benefits: 24/7 Travel Assistance, Baggage Delay Insurance, and Emergency Roadside Assistance. If you have a loss or incident that occurs on or after August 1, 2015, it will not be covered by these benefits."

Welcome to modern corporate America. This deceptive spinning of reality happens in countless contexts....sad, but, evidently, a sufficient number of sheep never notice the difference. Along this same line, the logo change was made to add uniformity to the color scheme and to simplify reproduction. Really, it was.

Reactions: mjdeegan
I love my Southwest Visa. They have a great rewards program. I put everything on oit and pay it off every month. I haven't paid for a flight in 5 years
Yeah, I might look into that. Southwest is a mini-hub in Nashville. I can get direct flights to many places. The only downside is that I lose some of the benefits with American Express.

I love my Southwest Visa. They have a great rewards program. I put everything on oit and pay it off every month. I haven't paid for a flight in 5 years

I've been using my Citibank AAdvantage AMEX like this and paying it off every month. I've looked into Southwest's Visa as an alternative but the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is that it's through Chase.

Regarding the AMEX Platnium. Call your American Express concierge. You get free enrollment into Priority Pass. It consists of over 700 domestic and international sky lounges. You'll get your membership card in the mail in a day or two

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT