ADVERTISEMENT

Do you prefer the extreme heat or extreme cold? Have to choose one..

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
Multiple 90+ degree and high humidity during the summer or consistent below freezing days in the winter with snow? So to put it in perspective-- Florida or Wisconsin?

My guess is most of us would say Florida-- but we may be surprised....

Also, say what city has your year round perfect climate?

Cold, no question. I have an extreme intolerance for hot weather. To the point that I often wonder if I suffer from hyperthyroid.

I'll take the cold. Of course I'm saying that as a 55 year resident of Florida and have never experienced long term extreme cold.
That said, it can't be worse than the weather we've been having of consistent 96-98 degree days with the heat index 110+.

I am far more acclimated to the heat.
We were forced to move from Tampa to Wisconsin and the absolutely ferocious winter cold was the worst experience ever. The wind made your eyes water just going to the mailbox and the minus zero wind chill made your eyes freeze shut.
But I've also been skiing in New Mexico and the warm sun makes the outdoors really nice. Upper Midwest is so dark and no sun for 2 weeks straight was horrible.
I could deal with winter in a place like Denver but not the northeast or Great Lakes.

Born in Cali but lived most of my young life in the PNW, snow storms, black ice, freezing rain, hail etc. screw that life.

When I was younger I would have said the hot. Now that I am in my 40's I say give me the cold. I can at least add layers to try and keep warm, however when it is hot I just cannot cool off and it drives me nuts.

Reactions: CJRN and NolaNole9
I am 57, weld for a living so you would think I would prefer the cold,,,,, wrong!!! Give me the 95 high humidity summer over the freezing cold for months.

I am absolutely miserable in January, I'll take the heat any day.

I have lived in Florida 45 of my 48 years on this earth. My wife is from West Virginia and we've already bought our retirement home up there. Time for a change of pace.

Grew up in upstate NY, lived in Chicago, and now in FL for last 18 years. I will take 90+ Temps over sub zero with wind chill any day.

I agree with those saying that both sucks-- but I can tolerate the extreme heat in the summer better. At least there is swimming that relaxes/cool you off. Those September days in Doak are absolutely brutal though.

I've also noticed that I can exercise better in the extreme heat than the cold.

In the end, an upper 60's/ low 70's stroll on the coast in San Diego is my ideal weather as well.

I agree with those saying that both sucks-- but I can tolerate the extreme heat in the summer better. At least there is swimming that relaxes/cool you off. Those September days in Doak are absolutely brutal though.

I've also noticed that I can exercise better in the extreme heat than the cold.

In the end, an upper 60's/ low 70's stroll on the coast in San Diego is my ideal weather as well.
I never really minded the heat in FL until I started working a job where I had to wear dress clothes.

Last edited:
Heat. Nothing worse than a 5 degree day with 15-20 mph gusts of wind.

Heat. Nothing worse than a 5 degree day with 15-20 mph gusts of wind.

A -5 degree day with 15-20mph gusts?

Cold sucks, but you can always add layers. I wouldn't mind living in a San Diego/Hawaii/Denver climate.

Extreme cold is the lesser of two dastardly evils. One can always put on more layers, but one cannot get nuder than nude.

The best American temperatures I've experienced are Honolulu and San Fran.

Reactions: CJRN
I love cold weather over hot weather but extreme Florida hot weather I'm used to. I have no desire to live in extreme cold (sub 20s) I like a nice freeze every once in awhile. I've never experienced sub 0 and hope I dont ever

I'd rather have the extreme heat/humidity. Grew up in Wisconsin and Iowa. Summers had 100° days with 99% humidity while the winters had temps get to -40° with the wind chill.

Now I live in Long Beach where the humidity is low and the temperatures are usually in the 70s and 80s, which is much better.
Lived in Honolulu during college for a bit and I can't complain about that weather one bit either.

Grew up in Florida and moved to Maine for three years. Give me the
heat. The lack of sun for weeks is awful. That being said, I now live in San Diego and don't plan on ever moving again.

I'll take the cold. I keep better in that weather. :D

Personally I liked the overall year round weather of North Texas. The heat wasn't that bad and you had a semblance of seasons compared to Florida. Some snow but nothing that stayed on the ground for months.

Multiple 90+ degree and high humidity during the summer or consistent below freezing days in the winter with snow? So to put it in perspective-- Florida or Wisconsin?

My guess is most of us would say Florida-- but we may be surprised....

Also, say what city has your year round perfect climate?

When you say below freezing, that's only 32 degrees. Huge difference in 32 and what some non southern cities deal with. We had several consecutive days of 0 and below this past winter then factor in the wind chill and your talking -10 to -20 degrees. This summer we have had several consecutive days of 90+ degrees with high humidity. Both suck but i'd take the cold.

it doesn't matter. probably extreme heat. either way, i'd rather have a 1-2 month miserable summer where i can go outside but prefer to keep it short over being freezing and can only sustain 5 minutes before my fingers might fall off.

I'll take brutal cold over oppressive heat any time. Near the top of the (many) reasons I'd never live in Florida again is the heat. After finishing HS, but before deciding that college, and FSU, was the way to go, I worked in construction in central Florida. The heat is insane. It gets cold here in Pittsburgh, and I love it.

I've never really been in extreme cold (upper midwest), but given the two extremes, I'd probably take the heat.

That said, I absolutely love the change of seasons here in Middle TN. I'm already looking forward to weather in the 40s.

I cannot handle cold weather. Give me hot weather any day. Grew up in St Augustine and many places I lived in didn't have A/C.

The problem w/the oppressive heat, in Tallahassee anyway, is how long it lasts. It's basically late April/early May-late September/early October.

That's just too damn long to have to sweat profusely.

I'm dying to move somewhere cooler, and one day I will dammit!

I don't consider the OP extreme heat. Yesterday it was 98 here and humid and was able to play in the pool and BBQ. Was in AZ when it was 123. You can do nothing unless it was stay in the lake (Lake Havasu).

Heat and it's not even close.

I actually like it most of the time.

I like cold weather due to my MS. It's one of the reasons I'm moving to Seattle after my divorce. Ill miss sunny Flirida , but health wise I like it cold but not extreme

Heat, although I don't like it as much as when I was young. In the middle of the summer, you can always get outside in the mornings and do stuff before the heat really kicks in. I often go for a 40-60 mile bike ride and am done by 11. You can't do that in the winter.

I also lived in a ski town in Colorado for a couple of winters, and cold there is not an issue, because you can still get outside and do something almost every day of the year....Most nights the temp would dip into the single digits or teens, sometimes well below zero, but the sun would often shine during the days.

The problem is when it's cold and dark and you are stuck inside all day with nothing to do outdoors. I never understood why the Chicago Bears, and other pro teams,were so popular until I lived in Chicago. There's literally nothing else to do during the fall on a weekend. The two goes crazy from Memorial day to Labor day and then the vibe completely changes.

Florida weather all day every day over cold weather. I like the humid heat over the dry vegas heat too. My nasal passages get to dry there and got nose bleeds.

I was in the cold for a week andvit snowed 3 days. That sucks even worse. Anywhere it snows at all each year I fo not want to live.

San Diego would be the perfect weather place.

ADVERTISEMENT