ADVERTISEMENT

Do you prefer the extreme heat or extreme cold? Have to choose one..

Heat, although I don't like it as much as when I was young. In the middle of the summer, you can always get outside in the mornings and do stuff before the heat really kicks in. I often go for a 40-60 mile bike ride and am done by 11. You can't do that in the winter.

I also lived in a ski town in Colorado for a couple of winters, and cold there is not an issue, because you can still get outside and do something almost every day of the year....Most nights the temp would dip into the single digits or teens, sometimes well below zero, but the sun would often shine during the days.

The problem is when it's cold and dark and you are stuck inside all day with nothing to do outdoors. I never understood why the Chicago Bears, and other pro teams,were so popular until I lived in Chicago. There's literally nothing else to do during the fall on a weekend. The two goes crazy from Memorial day to Labor day and then the vibe completely changes.

You can still bike in the winter - you just need the proper gear. My brother rides all winter in Minnesota. And a quality thermos keeps his coffee hot even after a couple hours of biking.

And are you serious about there being "literally nothing else to do during the fall" in Chicago besides go to Bears games?

I am 45 and when it gets cold or it is going to rain, my whole body aches, from years of playing ball 5-7 days a week from the age of 8 to 28, and then playing 2-3 times a week for another dozen years or so. The heat actually helps, and now I am beginning to understand why people move to the warmer climates when they get older. I would take the heat and as someone said, San Diego would be perfect and my cousin says that Denver doesn't have a winter as bad as it is here in northern New England.

Manch,
Im afraid ill be in that boat soon.

But I moved to NH last year because at least when its -15 i can snowboard and enjoy the outdoors, when its 90/90 im miserable. Cant stand the southeastern sweltering summer and no winter.

Amusing to me, are the locals who never left NH, its 82 with 50% humidity and they're dying. Cracks me up. I was at a Maine beach today with those ratios and its perfect. Water a bit chilly though

Manch,
Im afraid ill be in that boat soon.

But I moved to NH last year because at least when its -15 i can snowboardand enjoy the outdoors, when its 90/90 im miserable. Cant stand the southeatern sweltering summer and no winter.

Amusing to me, are the locals who never left NH, its 82 with 50% humdity and their dying. Cracks me up.

It's about as funny as going to Florida and the temps hit the 40's and the locals are freezing to death. Went to a game in Tally and the temp was 30 degrees in Tally and 52 degrees in NH. I was in jeans and a tee shirt and the locals all had gloves, hats and parkas.... too funny!

While I love to spend a week in the cold on a ski trip, I would never, ever want to live in that crap. It absolutely sucks to have to bundle up just to go outside for a minute (to get the mail, to run to the store to get milk, whatever). After a week, I am damn well ready to get home.

I would rather have the heat. I worked as a UPS driver in PC for over 18yrs. You get used to the heat. You don't really like it but you can tolerate it.

It's not so much the cold as it is rarely seeing the sun and slogging through snow, ice and slush. And it's not so much the heat as it is getting all sweaty and getting in a hot car waiting for the AC to cool it down. That said I much prefer the heat.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
I like hot weather. Lo-Cal has the best weather, with Central FL a close second.

You can still bike in the winter - you just need the proper gear. My brother rides all winter in Minnesota. And a quality thermos keeps his coffee hot even after a couple hours of biking.

And are you serious about there being "literally nothing else to do during the fall" in Chicago besides go to Bears games?

There is also drinking which is hugely popular...and fine restaurants so you can get fat.
Michigan Avenue shopping so you can go broke. I remember a date in the late 1980s. A taxi, two movie tickets, and a drink on the top of the Hancock tower was $100.

Then there is stuff like every other place like gyms, bowling etc. The museums are good for a day or two.

Give me the heat every single day. I am tired of the cold and snow, and it's not even that bad here in CO compared to the midwest.

I will take heat all day long.

I'm shocked there are so many people who would rather be cold...mind boggling.

The only time the heat gets to me is when we have to go to a wedding, or a graveside funeral, or some kind of a function that is outdoors in August. Nothing worse than standing there sweating yout arse off while having to talk to people.

Would still rather be sweating than shivering.

I'm shocked there are so many people who would rather be cold...mind boggling.

The only time the heat gets to me is when we have to go to a wedding, or a graveside funeral, or some kind of a function that is outdoors in August. Nothing worse than standing there sweating yout arse off while having to talk to people.

Would still rather be sweating than shivering.
Work for a living outdoors in Florida, not just be in the heat occasionally, and your mind might be less boggled.

agreed.

I prefer it to be 100degrees, but if Im in a wedding or funeral... give me some chill.

Work for a living outdoors in Florida, not just be in the heat occasionally, and your mind might be less boggled.

I wouldn't know how to answer that one. I would however rather run 10 miles outside in Florida's worst heat over Bostons worst cold.

As native NY'er who moved to Charlotte I'll take the heat. You can sit in shade or pool & drink. Cold weather is not an option for any outside activity.

As native NY'er who moved to Charlotte I'll take the heat. You can sit in shade or pool & drink. Cold weather is not an option for any outside activity.

Ice skating? Hockey? Skiing? Snowboarding? Snowshoeing?

Plus, as Belem says, if you are talking winters in the West/SW US you can usually do all these while the sun is shining.

Reactions: CJRN
Assuming that AC didn't exist, would you rather live in a hot climate or a cold climate? The population explosion in the Sun belt coincided with availability of air conditioning.

Assuming that AC didn't exist, would you rather live in a hot climate or a cold climate? The population explosion in the Sun belt coincided with availability of air conditioning.

So the preferring of it being hot or cold outside and living in the north or south without the advent of the AC is two mutually exclusive questions. AC changed everything.

Here is a similar question to yours above-- would you prefer the AC going out in mid-Augist while living in FL or the heat going out in Jan in Wisconsin? As much as I would prefer it to be hot outside I would rather be in the Wisconsin scenario. Being hot w/out AC and trying to sleep is torture. With it cold outside and no heat you could still build a fire and stack blanket on blanket on you. AC and trying to sleep is a game changer....

Reactions: CJRN and DFSNOLE
So the preferring of it being hot or cold outside and living in the north or south without the advent of the AC is two mutually exclusive questions. AC changed everything.

Here is a similar question to yours above-- would you prefer the AC going out in mid-Augist while living in FL or the heat going out in Jan in Wisconsin? As much as I would prefer it to be hot outside I would rather be in the Wisconsin scenario. Being hot w/out AC and trying to sleep is torture. With it cold outside and no heat you could still build a fire and stack blanket on blanket on you. AC and trying to sleep is a game changer....

I'm the opposite. If I were a Indian living in the 1300s, I would want to be in Florida rather than Wisconsin.

I live in central Ohio and the last two winters have been brutally cold here. That said, like others have written, I can always add more layers and there is only so many clothes you can take off. I have also noticed that even here in central Ohio, in the dead of winter, when the sun shines, I am a happy camper. I don't think it is so much the cold I don't like as it is the lack of sunshine for days on end. Looking to retire out west, probably the Reno/Taoe area...might be cold, but at least the sun shines there. Also, believe San Diego probably has the ideal climate

Heat. I've never felt so hot that my skin stings.

Look outside on a really hot day and you'll see people out and about. Look outside on a really cold day and you'll see people mostly stayed indoors.

Heat is much easier, much less unpleasant and less life disrupting. You don't have to wear special clothing just to walk outside and you can still go outside at night. Plus you don't see everyone getting sick in the Summer...

I would also change my answer from heat to cold if AC did not exist. I set my AC to 69 before bed or I can't sleep at all.

I'm use to the heat because I work in it daily. I guess starting my day at 5am helps me get acclimated to the brutal heat. It feels much hotter on a day off , and I'm not in it as much. The winter days we have that dip in the 20s which isn't many are brutal. So I can't imagine living up north shoveling snow daily. I tolerate the heat but love fall weather. I can handle 40s and 30s but below with wind cutting like a knife i say is worse than high 90s with 90 percent humidity

I'd take the heat over the cold every day of the week, including this summer where we've had 100 degree weather for about 3 weeks now and it's supposed to get hotter going forward. A couple of winters ago it went down to about 19-22 for about 3 days in a row and it makes you not want to get out of bed or go anywhere.

I worked outdoors most of the days during the Texas summers in high school and college and its tough, but I learned to adapt to it.

Heat. I've never felt so hot that my skin stings.

Look outside on a really hot day and you'll see people out and about. Look outside on a really cold day and you'll see people mostly stayed indoors.
We're talking extremes here. I have been in Tempe, AZ in August when it's over 100 F and there isn't a soul outside for any length of time. I was helping a friend who was going back to school to get his MBA at ASU and I had a lot of time on my hands and no vehicle. I would walk to the nearest shopping center to kill time and there wasn't a soul on the streets except idiot me. It's been very hot in the Atlanta area the last few weeks, and most people are staying inside except for the early mornings and evenings, unless they're at the pool. It's not much different than when temps drop to freezing or near freezing and you limit your time outside, but can tolerate it for brief periods. But I think only people who have lived in both extremely hot and cold climates for extended periods of time can rule in objectively.

One of the hottest stretches we've had in a couple of summers. Personally, it comes at the right time as I'm going to Las Vegas next weekend so at least my body will be acclimated for that kind of heat!

7-day_zpsl47kxuhb.jpg

If weather was the only factor in choosing where to live, I think I'd take the colder scenario. I like the heat more than I used to, but I'm a long way from loving it. Perhaps in 20 years I'll feel differently.

We're talking extremes here. I have been in Tempe, AZ in August when it's over 100 F and there isn't a soul outside for any length of time. I was helping a friend who was going back to school to get his MBA at ASU and I had a lot of time on my hands and no vehicle. I would walk to the nearest shopping center to kill time and there wasn't a soul on the streets except idiot me. It's been very hot in the Atlanta area the last few weeks, and most people are staying inside except for the early mornings and evenings, unless they're at the pool. It's not much different than when temps drop to freezing or near freezing and you limit your time outside, but can tolerate it for brief periods. But I think only people who have lived in both extremely hot and cold climates for extended periods of time can rule in objectively.
I've lived on both sides of the extremes within the bounds of the continental US and still definitely prefer the heat. Like you said, you can still bear mornings and evenings in the heat. When it's freezing it's going to be freezing 'round the clock for days or weeks.

I recall stepping outside and the snot inside my nose freezing instantly. That's fugged up and the only escape for days was to stay indoors. In the heat you can find some shade and be okay.

Oddly enough I did enjoy shoveling my driveway. That was about it though.

ADVERTISEMENT