ADVERTISEMENT

Drinking question

Will you drink if getting buzzed is not an option? Is just one drink worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 120 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 40 25.0%

• Total voters

BelemNole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Roseville, CA
Listening to a couple of dummies on the radio made me think of you dummies.
They didn't understand the concept of just having a single beer. They would only drink if they could have 5-6 or more as the sole point of alcohol was to get buzzed/tie one on. These were both married men with children. I recall this attitude in college but thought it was something you grew out of. Perhaps not. What say you LR. I know previous polls have shown ample drinking problems here....

I happen to like the taste of beer and enjoy having one every now and again. I don't drink much anymore and rarely drink to get buzzed or drunk. Rather I drink because I like the taste of it.

Reactions: seminoleed
They sound like dummies. I had a single beer with dinner last night and enjoyed it immensely. Of course, I very rarely drink to excess any more these days.

Ridicule me if you must, but I wouldn't bother drinking if I'm only going to have one. At that point it's kind of wasting money, and it's likely to just make me tired. I don't drink very often but when I do, I drink to be social, to have a good time, to get a buzz, etc.

I very rarely have one or two b/c get tired when stop. So its 6+ drinks or nothing for me. I'm 100% Irish and the stereotype fits.

I can't remember the last time I had 5-6 drinks to begin with, my max is usually 3 if I drink at all. And on the rare occasion I have a drink with dinner, it is just a single drink. So yeah I'd drink just one if getting lit wasn't an option.

To me, you consume something because it tastes good, or possibly because its health benefits outweigh the lack of or terrible flavor. If eating a banana made me feel like 3 beers does, I still wouldn't eat the banana, because I freaking hate bananas.

Reactions: Bartdog
I find for my friends 30+ it directly parallels how many kids they have. Those with a bunch of kids have no time to have drinks anymore so when we get together they want to get annihilated. Those like me who don't have kids totally depends on the mood.

Reactions: lurker2001
I have one beer with dinner several times a week. I rarely drink until buzzed (let alone smashed).

I pretty much only ever drink 1 or 2. I've never liked getting drunk, so I've only ever drank because I liked the taste of the particular beer, or because I simply wanted to take the edge off a bit. Generally, 1 or 2 beers depending on the beer is enough to do that.

I like trying a local beer at dinner when I am traveling. Typically I'll just have one or two for the taste and experience then call it good. I am also not opposed to drinking to get ripped. Each has its place, and I'm rather good at both.

Reactions: RPMNole and DanC78
I drank a lot when I was in college. Now, I enjoy the occasional Stinky Gringo...last one was New Years Eve.) Two is about all I can handle because they are fairly stout.

I fall all along the spectrum. I'll drink a single beer after work on occasion. I'll drink a single beer out on a date with the wife. I'll also drink more than that if I feel like. And on a night out to the bars, I might get drunk enough to act silly. But I might sip drinks thought it the night and not feel anything.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it if you're being responsible with your choices and not causing drama for yourself or others.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
No, you don't fall along the spectrum, you are a resounding "yes" vote. I'd guess that nearly all of the yes votes will drink more than one on occasion, but having a single beer with dinner isn't considered "wasting" a beer to us.

I very rarely have one or two b/c get tired when stop. So its 6+ drinks or nothing for me. I'm 100% Irish and the stereotype fits.
Hey, easy on the stereotypes! I'm as Irish as they come and I consider two beers to be binge drinking. Good gosh, who wants to be spending the night peeing?

Reactions: NYCNole
No, you don't fall along the spectrum, you are a resounding "yes" vote. I'd guess that nearly all of the yes votes will drink more than one on occasion, but having a single beer with dinner isn't considered "wasting" a beer to us.

For the OP's question, yes I'm a "Yes". I just meant the spectrum of "type" of drinker I can be ... Incredibly moderate to a super drunk.

Quit drinking to get drunk in my early 20s. Haven't gotten really lit in many, many years. These days I like to have a beer but my problem is I still drink it too fast and then want another. So I really try to slow down and enjoy it.

I usually go the make your own six pack route at the local liquor store. I'll get a variety of beers and to me that makes it easier to enjoy just one.

I get drunk about 1.5 times a year on average now. But even those aren't blackout drunk, puking, etc drunk. Those ended in my 20's - bachelor parties aside. In fact, my brother's bachelor party about 12 years ago was the last time I recall.

Just had a glass of wine with dinner. Done now. So I am a yes. I too am all over. I don't mind one, could have 3-4, can go out and have a few drinks, then wine, then a cocktail to end the night. Have had the wasted nights as well. Like somebody earlier, I drink because I like the taste, and I drink it fast. Have had to teach myself to slow down and sip. Now it's usually a cocktail or 2 and then a glass of wine on the weekends. Tonight was purely because we had a glass left over from the weekend.

Quit drinking to get drunk in my early 20s. Haven't gotten really lit in many, many years. These days I like to have a beer but my problem is I still drink it too fast and then want another. So I really try to slow down and enjoy it.

I usually go the make your own six pack route at the local liquor store. I'll get a variety of beers and to me that makes it easier to enjoy just one.

How old are you, brah?

I'm the same. 32 years old and haven't been drunk in years. I drink like a Mormon so I'm buzzed after 1 drink.

I'll drink one to be social, like at a business dinner if the people I'm dining with are drinking I will order one. I don't want them guessing I'm a Mormon or recovering alcoholic or something.

I'll drink a single glass of wine with dinner pretty often for health reasons, or just because it pairs well and completes the meal.

Otherwise I'll either skip it or go whole hog. Depending on my mood.

At this stage in my life Im drinking less and less. Kids have no respect for a hangover. And my nearly 40 year old body doesn't bounce back as well as it used to from a good poisoning.

I don't drink much out anymore either. If I do drink I like to be at home.

I go out once or twice a week after the kids have gone down and have a couple of beers and a cigar with some friends. Other than that I don't really drink at the house unless I need a glass of bourbon to take the edge off a rough day, or a couple of cold ones after some yard work. I don't even get smashed in Vegas anymore. The last time I was "friends have to carry you" drunk was watching the Clemson game during the championship season. Had some friends over and didn't pace myself properly with the bourbon intake. Well that or swigging Bookers straight from the bottle somewhere around the end of the 3rd quarter.

I'll drink one to be social, like at a business dinner if the people I'm dining with are drinking I will order one. I don't want them guessing I'm a Mormon or recovering alcoholic or something.

I'll drink a single glass of wine with dinner pretty often for health reasons, or just because it pairs well and completes the meal.

Otherwise I'll either skip it or go whole hog. Depending on my mood.

At this stage in my life Im drinking less and less. Kids have no respect for a hangover. And my nearly 40 year old body doesn't bounce back as well as it used to from a good poisoning.

I don't drink much out anymore either. If I do drink I like to be at home.
OK, who stole Free's login?

If I'm "out" drinking, it's usually at the local Brass Tap (it's a block from my office, 5 blocks from my house). When there, I typically never have more than one or two.

About the only time I drink to the point of drunk is during the summertime at the lake, when I don't have to worry about driving anywhere.

I go out once or twice a week after the kids have gone down and have a couple of beers and a cigar with some friends.

Pretty much same as this, although I rarely have more than 1 beer even when out. I enjoy a good (craft) beer, particularly stouts and porters. Those tend to taste better at or near room temperature, so that makes me an even slower drinker. The exception would be tailgating for football games, but even that is becoming fewer and farther between with the number of kids we have growing.

As for home, I'm far more likely to have an iced tea or soda at home than a beer. The exception would be if we have company over.

I drink way less often, but when I do, I like to get a nice buzz. So put me on the side of those who do not want to have just one drink. The good thing is as I have aged and because I drink not that often, the threshold is pretty low to get that happy glow.

I drink way less often, but when I do, I like to get a nice buzz. So put me on the side of those who do not want to have just one drink. The good thing is as I have aged and because I drink not that often, the threshold is pretty low to get that happy glow.

Huge difference between getting buzzed and hammered. Well, maybe not huge, but there is a difference :)

Pretty Much. If you drink solely to get bombed out of your mind, you need some serious help.
Sure, I agree with that, but there's still a huge area between getting bombed out of your mind, and drinking to get buzzed, "take the edge off", etc. I prefer the latter, and try to stay away from the former.

I drink because I like good beer, whisky, and wine. If you just want drugs, there are better options that are less caloric.

My wife and I don't drink anywhere near as much as we used to. Having a kid will do that to you I guess. I'll have a glass of wine or a beer here and there after work. On weekends, we'll go crazy and have 3 or 4.

The last time I got smashed was at my buddy's bachelor party in Tampa a few months ago and it took me 3 days to feel normal again. Before that, it had been many months since I had been drunk. I've got too much going on with work, family, etc to want to go out, get hammered and feel like crap.

What I do like nowadays is to have a quiet drink with a good cigar. I discovered a little place near my house in Wesley Chapel that has a nice beer selection.....the first day I came in a bunch of old guys were watching Californication on the big screen and laughing their asses off. Been there about once a week since - like to go in after a round of golf. If only they served whiskey.

Reactions: dmm5157
I know I am in the extreme minority but I don't care for the taste of beer or any other type of alcohol. If alcohol no longer existed tomorrow, I wouldn't think anything of it. I'm 25 years old and can count on one hand how many times I've drank. Lol I'm the 1 out of every 1,000

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT