ADVERTISEMENT

Druggie SIL: Tales of an addict (long long long story)

I see this all the time as I am employed as a Gaurdian ad Litem. You are very lucky you were able to escape the private adoption angle. It's relatively new and it can work out well but mostly is a nightmare.

Thanks to you (and anyone else who may be a GAL) for being a GAL. We had a wonderful GAL when we were adopting our kids. She was very good at making sure that DCF did the right thing, and pushing them to terminate the parental rights of the biologicals.

Thanks to you (and anyone else who may be a GAL) for being a GAL. We had a wonderful GAL when we were adopting our kids. She was very good at making sure that DCF did the right thing, and pushing them to terminate the parental rights of the biologicals.

@FSUATT We've had two very different experiences with GAL's. I can see how big of a help they can be.

Isabella has two GAL's: One in the county where she was born (Collier) and one in Leon County. The GAL's here have been pretty bad. Her main one down in Collier County has been great, but this is her first time being one and she gets a little lost in the process sometimes.

It's a tough gig and can be stressful, but we are grateful for her main GAL. she's fought for Isabella the whole way, which helps immensely.

dmm, you are 100% with what's right in this world and your SIL is 100% with what's wrong in this world. My family on all sides have been hit pretty hard by addiction. I can not add to what others have shared in terms that your wife and yourself are extremely wonderful people. My biggest weakness in my life is seeing children sick, suffering or hurting. My worst enemy's child could be sick and I would feel for that child. With that said, your SIL is sick and she is the child of your wife's parents. This must be killing your MIL/FIL.

Isabella is a beautiful girl, and I sit here and type and I am heartbroken how the disease of addiction is greater than the love for Isabella.

Like I said, I have seen addiction ruin families. My uncle was a decorated Green Beret, but he was also a drug addict and a drunk who died on the streets, begging for change to buy booze, at the age of 33. His son, my cousin, passed a few years ago after eating a handful of pills, and his BAC was over .25 when the autopsy results came back. He was 29 years of age when he passed.

Before my uncle passed, all of our lives were in turmoil because of him, we loved him and it killed us to see him like that, but he could not just stay sober. When he passed, our lives became normal again and before he passed, my grandmother prayed that God would make Uncle Tony better, she prayed that God would take his pain and suffering away. Well, God did. Not everything comes gift wrapped and with a big bow.

With the circumstances that we already know, Isabella is at a disadvantage, Isabella has not one, but two genes in her that were passed down by her biological parents, genes of addiction, and Isabella was born addicted to drugs. Isabella will get older and of course, psychologically, she will start to feel and ask herself questions like, "why did my parents give me up", "why didn't my parents love me", "what did I do so wrong". These questions will torment her, and as far as we are all concerned, you/your wife are her parents, and you can help her get through those tough times, and hopefully she has dodged the addiction bullet. I don't want to sound like a downer, but Isabella has a long road ahead of her and she will have many obstacles to overcome. For the Grace of God, she has two of the world's best people looking after her, and for the Grace of God, I pray that Isabella does escape the addiction gene, and you don't have to look at her like you look at SIL #2, because you will see a beautiful person who has succumbed to addiction, much like the woman who gave birth to her, as I am sure that your in-laws see their beautiful baby girl who can't escape the booze and drugs. It's a tough thing to say, but from experience, not having contact with SIL #2 and her boyfriend is going to be the easiest, safest path for Isabella, and if that path includes the passing of two people who can not stay sober, then so be it, it's all about Isabella.

I'm sure you and your wife have discussed what happens if the miracle occurs, and one/both of her biological parents actually gets sober and leads a productive life. There is no easy solution and of course, Isabella will be stuck in the middle.

I can't say enough about your wife and yourself. The pictures that you have posted of Isabella have just melted me, and since I am aware of Isabella's situation, I pray nothing but the best for Isabella. I know Isabella is in great hands, and I pray that everything turns out OK for Isabella, and I pray that part of everything being OK for Isabella, doesn't hurt you or your wife in any way. Thank you and your wife for being such decent people, Isabella deserves better, and she now has better!

I wish nothing but the best for the you, your wife and, of course, Isabella. Best of Luck!

Scott

BTW, at about age 11, the pink starts turning to garnet and gold!

SAY ISABELLA ONE MORE TIME.

SAY ISABELLA ONE MORE TIME.

Say "what"one more time. I used her name instead of her or she because it emphasizes that she is a living, breathing person and a victim. Using her name put's the emphasis on her.

500b86f0186133469d004b60.jpg

I get the say "what" one more time time reference from Pulp Fiction but I am drawing blanks on the Chevy Chase reference.

Say "what"one more time. I used her name instead of her or she because it emphasizes that she is a living, breathing person and a victim. Using her name put's the emphasis on her.

500b86f0186133469d004b60.jpg

I get the say "what" one more time time reference from Pulp Fiction but I am drawing blanks on the Chevy Chase reference.
Manch, I think that's his sig image. Hard to see, but it's below a light gray dashed line. Not a lot of people have signature images set yet with the new system.

Manch, I think that's his sig image. Hard to see, but it's below a light gray dashed line. Not a lot of people have signature images set yet with the new system.

LMAO, don't I feel like the f*cking a*shole!

Desi....dude....brah....broseph....duderino.

WTF are you doing with your life???

Seems like just a few months ago you were posting about how your fiancee was a serious alcoholic and couldn't go to any social event without getting completely hammered drunk. Remember what your LR friends told you???

They told you to run far, far away from this chick and her addict family.

And here you are, a short time later, with 2 kids with this woman and you are completely enmeshed with her sick, twisted, dysfunctional family. Didn't you say her Mother is an alcoholic as well? If not, you said she was completely crazy. I can't keep track because of just how dysfunctional her family is.

And now your wife has convinced you to adopt her sister's meth baby? Are you seriously consenting to that?

Now, I don't want to insult this poor child. It's not her fault that her parents are degenerates. I wish the baby well and hope she has a great life. But I refuse to join the chorus of soccer Dads that say what a great job you are doing. What you are doing is setting yourself up for big, big trouble down the road. Are the buns that great? Is it worth all this trouble?

You realize, I'm sure, that this baby has a 90% chance of becoming an addict herself due to her genetics. In 15 years, you'll be posting how she pawned your car off without your consent so she could buy some blow. You are going to have to deal with SIL #2 FOREVER! Do you really want that???

My advice to you is to get a time machine, use it and never, ever get married. Unfortunately, we can't do that until technology catches up.

What I would do is get as far from this situation as possible. RUN. You are so enmeshed in this problem though, that I would consult a family attorney. But I'd still try to run.

You're around my age, early 30's. You only have 30, 40 years left before you are old and there's no turning back. Do you really want to spend the rest of your short life on this Earth dealing with addicts and their offspring?

RUN!!!

Last edited:
^^^:rolleyes:. Good lord. He's in too deep at this point.

Yep. That's why I advise he see a family attorney. He's digging his own grave.

He also might want to change his name, move to another state and get plastic surgery so they can't find him.

Desi,

I have to echo everyone's comments on here. You and your wife should be commended for adopting that beautiful baby. It is wonderful that she will have a fighting chance due to parents like yourselves. Try and remember all the hard work is worth it.

You realize, I'm sure, that this baby has a 90% chance of becoming an addict herself due to her genetics. RUN!!!

This is a point that I try to get across earlier, the girl will most likely have some psychological issues down the road, and if she becomes physically addicted to chemicals, then he might be looking at an 18 year old girl the same way he is looking at his SIL right now.

I did not know that his wife and MIL have addictions as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurker2001
psychological

This is a point that I try to get across earlier, the girl will most likely have some psychological issues down the road, and if she becomes physically addicted to chemicals, then he might be looking at an 18 year old girl the same way he is looking at his SIL right now.

I did not know that his wife and MIL have addictions as well.

Yep. Family passes down their addictions and problems from generation to generation. And then family enables each other because "it's family!" Such B.S.

I can't believe Desi's wife is still talking to SIL#2 after she STOLE her identity! Anyone that violates you like that must be cut out of your life FOREVER. I don't care if it's your Mother, Father or sister. Family should not get a pass. Toxic, negative criminals like that MUST be removed from your life and forgotten about.

Last edited:
Whether or not the child "may" have issues with addiction , Desi and his wife did the correct and noble thing to give Isabella an opportunity to overcome any demons genetics might play in her life. Running or hiding from an issue is too prevalent in our society, bravo to those that try and affect the world in which they live.

Desi,
If you ever need to say terrible things to somebody because you are frustrated , my email is username at gmail, sometimes it is good to just let loose and I am more than willing to be that sounding board.

congratulations to you and your wife on Isabella you are obviously good people and I hope the best for your family

Addictions in your family do not mean that all genetic lineage will be so afflicted. That his wife may or may not have at one time struggled with this does not mean she will again. The biggest concern w the girl is damage from what she has already been exposed to. But people can be remarkably resilient. And, many of our greatest achievers have struggled with addiction and other forms of mental Illness. That someone struggles with such issues does not make them without value.

Sure, addiction in families doesn't mean ALL family members are addicts, but it gives them a much greater chance of inheriting it. Many great achievers struggled with addiction but many more are currently in prison or in their graves. Most addicts will relapse at some point. Addiction is, many times, a fatal disease.

That being said, I don't see why Desi should subject himself to this dysfunction. Why should it be his problem? I think he should get far, far away from it and should live his own life free from it.

I am in no way saying he is doing the wrong thing, and I applaud him over and over, I was merely stating facts, that kids of addicts are more prone to be addicts themselves. And as I said before, I pray that Isabella hasn't had that gene passed down to her, because she is already at a disadvantage (and I am not stating anything different that he hasn't already heard from professional doctors and lawyers). I have educated myself on addiction as I have seen it rip my family to shreads and around the time of my divorce, I drank myself just about until the end (my DUI BAC was .34, five hours after my arrest).

Desi is unique for sure, because knowing what we know, a lot of people would not even think of doing what he is doing. He has a big heart, and that goes a long way in helping others heal.

Please don't confuse what I have said as being negative or that I think he is doing the wrong thing. I am just stating facts, facts that make what he is doing all the more remarkable and applauding.

Some brutal remarks in here. That said, I had no idea Mrs. Desi had some personal challenges - best wishes and good luck to all involved.

Miss a few days on the LR and some absurdity appears.

The stuff with my wife was 4 years ago. Our 6 year wedding anniversary is in 2 weeks. No issues since then.

As for my wife's family, while they're "crazy", who's family isn't? Love my MIL, she has her quirks but she has been a hugely supportive during the issues with Isabella. This whole situation has definitely unified the family, which helps a lot.

As for SIL#2, the last time my MIL spoke to her was in August and she told SIL#2 she was dead to her and she never wanted to see her again.

My wife and I have not and will not have any further contact with SIL#2 beyond anything court ordered.

No family is perfect, all you can do is try your best to give your kids the best life they can have and that's exactly how we will live life from here on out.

Miss a few days on the LR and some absurdity appears.

The stuff with my wife was 4 years ago. Our 6 year wedding anniversary is in 2 weeks. No issues since then.

As for my wife's family, while they're "crazy", who's family isn't? Love my MIL, she has her quirks but she has been a hugely supportive during the issues with Isabella. This whole situation has definitely unified the family, which helps a lot.

As for SIL#2, the last time my MIL spoke to her was in August and she told SIL#2 she was dead to her and she never wanted to see her again.

My wife and I have not and will not have any further contact with SIL#2 beyond anything court ordered.

No family is perfect, all you can do is try your best to give your kids the best life they can have and that's exactly how we will live life from here on out.

I would have run away from that situation like Peter Warrick against Lousiana Tech.

I mean this as sincerely as possible; Good luck. I wish you the best.

Last edited:
I would have run away from that situation like Peter Warrick against Lousiana Tech.

I mean this as sincerely as possible; Good luck. I wish you the best.

Understood, I could certainly see that.

Life has been good, outside a few negative entities. One good thing about this situation is I'm much closer to SIL#1 and other in-laws that I didn't really speak with much previously. With bad can come good.

You and your wife get s lot of props. I don't think I could have done what you did. I will tell you that a friend of ours had similar issues with his wife. Addicted to drugs, alcohol and would mistreat/neglect his two daughters. He got custody but the state is doing anything and everything to give the wife years of chances. Note she routinely refuses drug tests ordered by the court. It is bizzaro. I'm all for people getting 2nd chances but sometimes the state has to realize keeping kids with their biological parents is not always the best option. Again kudos to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT