ADVERTISEMENT

Easy every day things to do for health benefits

jamnolfin

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Panama City Beach, Florida
What you got. We all know exercise and eat high fibre, low cal food. What are the single little things that you do.

My doctor told me to half a lemon everyday with my wife and squeeze it into 12 oz. of luke warm water 1st thing every morning, easy way to help detoxify. I've been doing that.

Apple a day with skin, unreal health benefits of a apple. A apple a day keeps the doctor away. I eat one most every day.

Couple of scoops of metamucil. It's very hard to eat the amount of fibre that is recommended and this stuff will do you right.

A cup of coffee a day maybe a good warm tea at night, curbs the appetite and sharpens the mind.

Keep things like carrots, celery and broccoli around and find a good low cal dip for snack time. My wife makes this low cal ranch dip with Hidden Valley ranch dip mix with low fat milk, some greek yogurt, a little light mayo and she adds different hot sauces. Pretty darn good.

Water and booze for me. I will probably always drink a couple of times a week so cutting that out is not happening but drinking mostly water with meals, snacks and when thirsty.

I started drinking a glass of water first thing every morning. It is helpful. I'll try to add a half of a lemon as you suggested.

Reactions: Bartdog
A cup of Coffee has been shown to be an anti-depression elixer. An ejaculation a day has been shown the reduce prostate cancer. <--Truth.

I "season" myself every day with fish oil, turmeric, cinnamon and garlic capsules.

Fish oil in particular is very useful. Even the colleges that came out recently saying the anticancer and antidementia aspects are overrated, still Rec you take 250 and 500 milligrams of combined EPA and DHA per day in either supplements or in actual fish form as its a great preventer of cardiovascular issues.

A cup of Coffee has been shown to be an anti-depression elixer. An ejaculation a day has been shown the reduce prostate cancer. <--Truth.

awesome...I do both of those

I also....

drink water only during the weekdays...prolly half to one gallon worth, and some beer on weekends. (the occasional tea, like twice a month maybe and as mentioned above one cup of coffee every morning)

I do a green smoothie a couple times a week with my nurti-bullet (HIGHLY recommend everyone buy one of these)

I use egg beaters for eggs and mix with Turkey meat...I eat this several times a week for lunch, taste great and very healthy.

No breads or pastas during the week, yogurts for desserts, I eat plenty of greens etc.

I floss a couple times a week, brush 2 to 3 times a day.

I exercise 4 days a week.

Laugh and get mad all in the same thread

Jam, I realize that some people on here are instigators and out to try to make people mad even sometimes just for sport and say things they really don't believe just to try to get a rise out of people. So I come in with that in mind and laugh at their attempts and give it right back to them or play along. Or just read and laugh that they can't be serious.

For my part, I was totally serious -

"scientists found that men who ejaculated 21 or more times a month enjoyed a 33% lower risk of prostate cancer compared with men who reported four to seven ejaculations a month throughout their lifetimes."

http://www.harvardprostateknowledge.org/does-frequent-ejaculation-help-ward-off-prostate-cancer
tumblr_n5mtulhVDw1qfwa93o1_400.gif

Jam, I realize that some people on here are instigators and out to try to make people mad even sometimes just for sport and say things they really don't believe just to try to get a rise out of people. So I come in with that in mind and laugh at their attempts and give it right back to them or play along. Or just read and laugh that they can't be serious.

One of my favorite episodes

replace your office chair with an exercise ball - I think gold's has one called a "stayball" that won't roll around too much - really forces you to use good posture if you are confined to a desk

Recently, I've gotten into yoga. It's pretty awesome. The stretching is great and it is a pretty good workout. Also, for mental health, I've been getting up particularly early on Saturday or Sunday for quiet reflection and mediation---I have a pretty high stress job that never ends, this helps me compartmentalize issues/problems and allowing to focus on things better......oh, and also cutting back to 2 grams a day.

Reactions: ncnole1975
Recently, I've gotten into yoga. It's pretty awesome. The stretching is great and it is a pretty good workout. Also, for mental health, I've been getting up particularly early on Saturday or Sunday for quiet reflection and mediation---I have a pretty high stress job that never ends, this helps me compartmentalize issues/problems and allowing to focus on things better......oh, and also cutting back to 2 grams a day.

Never tried yoga. But I am thankful for the many woman with nice figures that wear yoga pants.

Reactions: ncnole1975
Drink a gallon of purified water each day. Not a single kidney stone in an entire year! Not to mention the ancillary health benefits like weight loss.

Be creative with how you mix in what foods to make a "meal".

Don't drink soda. Just stop. Stuff causes sickness and lethargy.

Cut down on your sugar intake.

If you drink coffee try not to exceed 5 cups a day, none last 5 pm. Mix at least one scoop of protein powder in with a cup per day ( or as many as you want). We always need more protein. See if you can replace a cup of coffee with a cup or tea.

I take a daily fish oil, calcium, and B12 vitamin every day.

Double your water intake. I dare you. Yes you'll have to urinate more often, if that means I'll have a definitive decrease in headaches and grogginess in the morning as well as overall functioning throughout the day because my cells and entire body are properly hydrated than why not?

YouTube "diaphragmatic breathing". Try to catch yourself EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. See how often you can remember to practice it. Your heart rate recovery after workouts/cardio exercise will improve tremendously as well as giving a slight increase to overall cardiovascular endurance.

If extremely tired and no end in sight with your day, find any place you can rest without being reprimanded, rest your head on a desk, close your eyes, relax your neck muscles and breathe deeply. 30 seconds of doing this is better than none. 2 minutes is extremely refreshing. 5 is heaven. Don't expect anything thus creating anxiety just know that it's better than nought.

I live in Miami, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're in standstill traffic often or find an empty parking lot to practice first: start using your left leg to brake. You can't imagine what using only one for can do for musculature all the way up to your hip. You won't be as quick, graded, or skilled as the usual method, so be very very careful gang!

Lastly, the granddaddy of em all: As often as you can remember, sitting, standing, whatever, tuck your tail bone down and forward. Try not to be over arched anywhere in your spine, but especially don't overarching your low back.

I'm in grad school for physical therapy, I'm a personal trainer, and I teach yoga. Can't remember the last time I was sick. If I feel a slight headache, cold, stuffed up nose, I'll do a light workout to warm myself up and speed up the recovery process, but I'm not say it's for everyone. Trying to accustom your body and mind outside of the normal routine in the direction of a healthier lifestyle is the name of the game for this post. Hell, meditation and exploring your concept of a higher power (whether you call it God,Universe, Humanity, or Stars FFS) are healthy for you. Reading is healthy for you. Not junk like magazines or message boards, but non pleasure reading. Learn something every damn day!

Almost forgot: please please wash your hands whenever you sneeze or cough into your hands. I see people just wipe and carry on with their day and it's very very sad.

Reactions: NoleRN
Always take the stairs. I don't use elevators unless I happen to be in a building over 30 floors. Don't always look for the closest parking space. Park further out and walk a little further. Don't stay seated for longer than an hour. Get up and walk for a few minutes. I like to pretend it's the 80's and actually get up and go tell a co-worker something as opposed to e-mailing them or calling them.

Google "Sitting Disease" if you want the crap scared out of you.

I stopped using soap, shampoo and deodorant. My testosterone shot up 20%. Strangely, I stopped sweating under my arms and I was worried about stinking but it never really happened. I just rub a little lavender under my arms. I also started brushing my teeth with coconut oil. They have never been so white or clean.

Always take the stairs. I don't use elevators unless I happen to be in a building over 30 floors. Don't always look for the closest parking space. Park further out and walk a little further. Don't stay seated for longer than an hour. Get up and walk for a few minutes. I like to pretend it's the 80's and actually get up and go tell a co-worker something as opposed to e-mailing them or calling them.

Google "Sitting Disease" if you want the crap scared out of you.

Truth. Walk, people.

Do your own yard work. Paint the room yourself. There's a myriad of things around the house you can do yourself and benefit from the exercise. Folks here seem to think performing some kind of manual labor is beneath them.

I'm 52 and have been active my whole life. Only recently(last 10 years) have I paid attention to diet.
I've done many of the things listed above but the one thing I've done in the last month that's really helped with managing aches and pains of being older, Flax.
I put two tablespoons in either yogurt, cereal or a smoothie per day and I've never felt better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT