ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Van Halen Died.

JMGNole

Ban Hammer
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
God's Country, Tallahassee
www.jmgnole.com
Eddie Van Halen has died of cancer. The guitarist and co-founder of band Van Halen was 65.
His son, Wolfgang Van Halen, confirmed the news on Twitter Tuesday.
"I can't believe I'm having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning. He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I've shared with him on and off stage was a gift.
"My heart is broken and I don't think I'll ever fully recover from his loss," he continued. "I love you so much, Pop."
Eddie formed the band in the early 1970s with his brother Alex Van Halen. Together they scored hit songs including "Jump," "Hot for Teacher" and "Panama."

Not too many guys have been as influential in their fields as EVH. Thanks for the music and RIP.

I'm absolutely stunned. EVH's music has been a part of my life since I was 10 years old. He was an innovator among innovators - 70s and 80s rock would be NOTHING without him.

Reactions: MIKE_G
At one point, Eddie got a drum set, which his older brother coveted. “I never wanted to play guitar,” he confessed at a talk at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History in 2015. But his brother was good at the drums, so Eddie gave into his brother’s wishes: “I said, ‘Go ahead, take my drums. I’ll play your damn guitar.’”

Not till I was older could I fully appreciate his sound and recognize how much he put into it. Wonderfully shrieking.

RIP EVH

Reactions: goldmom and MIKE_G
Brings me back to my Jr High days. VH cranked up on the boom box or Walkman, everyone was a fan. RIP and thx for the music and memories.

"Running with the Devil", "Panama," "Valerie Bertinelli." Wait, that was his wife. Just read he was the same age as me, gulp.

Brings me back to my Jr High days. VH cranked up on the boom box or Walkman, everyone was a fan. RIP and thx for the music and memories.
I was in 6th grade when 1984 came out. That was pretty much my introduction to VH. Even my mom liked "Jump", and she was in her late 40s at the time. I guess that's why the diehards never liked it much, LOL. I enjoyed the Van Hagar years and went back and listened to the first few DLR albums and loved both versions. Saw them at the TLCCC on the F***K tour in '92. Wasn't as impressed as I expected to be for some reason. I kind of felt like they sounded almost too rehearsed and radio-like. Didn't feel raw enough or something. Plus they ended on "Standing on Top", which was such a hokey song to end on in their encore. I regret not going to see the reunion w/DLR, although he sounded like crap in all the clips I saw. Eddie still played amazingly.

I remember when they played in Tally-around 78/77......

"I think of all the education that I've missed
But then my homework was never quite like this!"

Journey was in Ruby Diamond Auditorium in April 1978. Their lead band was another unknown band by the name of Van Halen. Tickets were $3.00.
After heavy drinking , David Lee Roth shoved a long rose stem down his crotch. Why do I remember this? Running with the Devil...😈

Reactions: goldmom
I was in 6th grade when 1984 came out. That was pretty much my introduction to VH. Even my mom liked "Jump", and she was in her late 40s at the time. I guess that's why the diehards never liked it much, LOL. I enjoyed the Van Hagar years and went back and listened to the first few DLR albums and loved both versions. Saw them at the TLCCC on the F***K tour in '92. Wasn't as impressed as I expected to be for some reason. I kind of felt like they sounded almost too rehearsed and radio-like. Didn't feel raw enough or something. Plus they ended on "Standing on Top", which was such a hokey song to end on in their encore. I regret not going to see the reunion w/DLR, although he sounded like crap in all the clips I saw. Eddie still played amazingly.
Jeez dude this applies almost exactly to me..
I too was in 6th grade the first time I heard Jump riding in the back seat on North Monroe. I really got into them for 5150 and OU812 in high school but went back to the older stuff and I have to say Diver Down might be my favorite.
I was a freshman at FSU (I think it was December of 1991) for the F**K tour In Tallahassee. I skipped my girlfriends birthday to go...oops. You’re right they did end it with Standing on Top...I remember Sammy saying they wanted to end with it since they had the number 1 album or something to that effect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT