ADVERTISEMENT

Eight Florida State soccer players to compete in Women's World Cup

Bob, is it too early to gauge how B Pensky will fare recruiting internationally?

Bob, is it too early to gauge how B Pensky will fare recruiting internationally?
I don't have a good gauge on it yet with the small sample size

We've talked with European athletes who make visits to the US and they are flying in blind in their recruitment. They don't know the differences in FSU compared to a Miami, North Carolina, Georgia, etc. Most FSU soccer players - born in the US or from another country - said they wanted to come here because of Krikorian and his assistants, the development route to pro soccer (academics and year-round weather are factors, too). Might take some time for Pensky and the staff to establish that they can do the same with player-to-pro development.

I don't have a good gauge on it yet with the small sample size

We've talked with European athletes who make visits to the US and they are flying in blind in their recruitment. They don't know the differences in FSU compared to a Miami, North Carolina, Georgia, etc. Most FSU soccer players - born in the US or from another country - said they wanted to come here because of Krikorian and his assistants, the development route to pro soccer (academics and year-round weather are factors, too). Might take some time for Pensky and the staff to establish that they can do the same with player-to-pro development.
So..is it fair to say that MKs international success was as much about reputation as established contacts?

So..is it fair to say that MKs international success was as much about reputation as established contacts?
Krikorian has a great eye for talent. I would argue his ability to evaluate, recruit and develop international prospects is what made FSU one of the nation's top programs. And when you can show prospects that the program is consistently going to the College Cup - as part of the overall package that FSU offers - that's attractive when distinguishing between some of the other top college programs.

Reactions: Nolefan82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT