ADVERTISEMENT

Ever been to a gay wedding?

resized_business-cat-meme-generator-pitcher-or-catcher-cc6c28.jpg

Actually not all the time, it's up to the couple how they want there vows to be said. I've known 3 gays couples that have had ceremonies, one was husband and husband, one was wife and wife, and 2 lesbians went actually husband and wife (the "husband" could pass for a dude though, big and stocky, short spikey hair, hat backwards, wore nfl jerseys, etc).

Thanks for clarifying. Never seen the 3rd case, but as more gay couple get married I suspect we'll see more of it.

The intolerance and prejudice displayed against those seeking knowledge and acceptance in here is sickening.

You don't say! Homophobic slurs were being thrown around casually.

My girlfriend is Bi and I myself asked this question amongst others. The answer was "it varies". She's seen all the scenarios play out.

Ive been to a few gay weddings, turns out my experience is they arent too different from other non church focused weddings. One couple actually borrowed some food/music/layout ideas from mine as it was more casual party with no church. I was nervous going to my first one(simply as new experience) but it was a lot of fun.

One stereotype that is 100% ridiculous is that gays are all great dancers. As someone who cant dance i was not alone in that minority at any of them.

Pretty obvious question by the OP; however, there are more legitimate ones that could be discussed. For example, how will/do divorces work regarding situations of child custody and alimony? Traditional gender roles won't apply. For instance, in male-male who gets custody when historically "moms" are granted the judges favor. In a female-female divorce, who (if anyone) would be granted alimony?

Pretty obvious question by the OP; however, there are more legitimate ones that could be discussed. For example, how will/do divorces work regarding situations of child custody and alimony? Traditional gender roles won't apply. For instance, in male-male who gets custody when historically "moms" are granted the judges favor. In a female-female divorce, who (if anyone) would be granted alimony?

the laws regarding child custody, child support and alimony (for states that allow for alimony) are gender-neutral. Usually, there is an agreement regarding who the managing conservator and who will be the custodial conservator...if no agreement, then a trial.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
the laws regarding child custody, child support and alimony (for states that allow for alimony) are gender-neutral. Usually, there is an agreement regarding who the managing conservator and who will be the custodial conservator...if no agreement, then a trial.

Of course there are "laws", but would you agree/disagree that traditionally mom's get the kiddos as well as alimony. Not being combative...genuine questions.

Laws are gender neutral, but the application of the law has not been. This is why there have been some really nasty divorce cases including having to totally destroy the reputations of both parties.

Reactions: Bartdog
Of course there are "laws", but would you agree/disagree that traditionally mom's get the kiddos as well as alimony. Not being combative...genuine questions.

Yes; the stats are pretty on point that primary custody is generally awarded to the mother and, one of the reasons for that is gender bias. However, you are starting to see more and more of the standing custody orders transition to a true 50/50 split in custody.

My response is with same sex divorce you will probably see a more unbiased application of the law.

I am very interested to see what the divorce rates of same sex marriages are 5, 10, 15 years from now. Although it may not be a completely fair comparison since you'll have an influx of new marriages by couples who have been together for long periods but weren't allowed to get married.

Still, it'll be interesting...

Didn't make it to the marriage, and don't know when it happened, but I have a cousin who was mano a mano for 32 years. They called each other partner. I went to the funeral earlier this year and it was attended by nearly a hundred folks. Some were from work, some from the theatre my cousin is involved with, family, and other friends.
Those guys were in it for the long haul, and I have seen other gay couples equally committed...as well as plenty who were not so committed.
We have many gay clients involved in our work, and they seem to be at least, if not more, committed to long term relationships in comparison to the hetero crowd.Most do not have kids, but several of our long term gay clients have adopted in recent years.

My girlfriend is Bi and I myself asked this question amongst others. The answer was "it varies". She's seen all the scenarios play out.
You guys are too caught up in the politics and morality of the question and let this tasty morsel slip by. We need more info, back story and pics of the girlfriend. Immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT