ADVERTISEMENT

FDA approves 3D printed drug

Bartdog

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2002
Jax
MSN

The US Food and Drug Administration has approved its first drug manufactured using 3D printing, Aprecia's epilepsy-fighting Spritam. The medication uses a porous, 3D-printed formula to help deliver even very high doses (as high as 1,000mg) while remaining easy to swallow -- all you have to do is take a sip of liquid to quickly disperse the drug and get it into your body.

I wonder how long something illegal could be done like this/how this might have made Walter White's ficitonal life easier...

You're only talking between $2-5k for current food safe 3d printers. You should talk about it to your dealer maybe they'll give you a discount. ;)

Lol, but actually you brought up something I may have to mention to my various pharmacist friends. They're so cheap (3d printers that is), why should only pharmaceutical companies use them, what about compounding pharmacies? Especially for the noncontolled medications that need compounding. Why hire pharm techs when a $5k 3d printer will do it for you? Congrats, you may have just gotten a bunch of people fired. ;)

Lol, but actually you brought up something I may have to mention to my various pharmacist friends. They're so cheap (3d printers that is), why should only pharmaceutical companies use them, what about compounding pharmacies? Especially for the noncontolled medications that need compounding. Why hire pharm techs when a $5k 3d printer will do it for you? Congrats, you may have just gotten a bunch of people fired. ;)
I thought that was kinda the point. 3 d printing doesn't make sense for mass producing; it's for the mom n pop or individual who wants to make a limited quantity.

I thought that was kinda the point. 3 d printing doesn't make sense for mass producing; it's for the mom n pop or individual who wants to make a limited quantity.

Yeah, I was somewhat kidding, but actually you got me thinking. I know all of the connections necessary to put the compound pharmacists in touch with 3d printer sellers. I might get started on that today during my phone call at 5 with one of the more influential pharmacists around the country. Call up my contacts with the urine testing and pharmaceutical sales force, make some calls to providers of 3d printers, and form a little company. I've even thought of a great name for the company and it's still available as we speak so I plopped down some Godaddy bucks for a website. What's a couple of bucks and some conversation when there might be some good cash down the line?

star-trek-replicator.png

Yeah, I was somewhat kidding, but actually you got me thinking. I know all of the connections necessary to put the compound pharmacists in touch with 3d printer sellers. I might get started on that today during my phone call at 5 with one of the more influential pharmacists around the country. Call up my contacts with the urine testing and pharmaceutical sales force, make some calls to providers of 3d printers, and form a little company. I've even thought of a great name for the company and it's still available as we speak so I plopped down some Godaddy bucks for a website. What's a couple of bucks and some conversation when there might be some good cash down the line?
Too late. I already called MY connections and the MOST influential pharmacist in the country. Then we called Danica Patrick and had her register the company name on Godaddy. Then we took the company public right after lunch. Sorry dude.

Too late. I already called MY connections and the MOST influential pharmacist in the country. Then we called Danica Patrick and had her register the company name on Godaddy. Then we took the company public right after lunch. Sorry dude.

Well I guess I'll give up then.

I'll wait patiently for my cut. :p

Lol, if you recall I was one of the naysayers in those Bitcoin and gold threads. I guess Im a frickin genius.

At that time Bitpay had ~20,000 registered clients.
They now have +60,000.
I don't think this thing you don't understand is going away just because you don't understand it.

Transactions keep increasing (more than doubled since the late '14 price spike that generated so much attention).
link

I'll wait patiently for my cut. :p

Tell you what, if there's no decent group already working on it for compounders and we get it up and running I'll through you a small weekend getaway care of my faux vacation services for giving me the idea.

At that time Bitpay had ~20,000 registered clients.
They now have +60,000.
I don't think this thing you don't understand is going away just because you don't understand it.

Transactions keep increasing (more than doubled since the late '14 price spike that generated so much attention).
link

Lol, don't understand. Before law school I was a Finance and Economic double major and did my senior thesis on real time transfer systems before that was even really possible with the tech at the time. So I understand just fine. 60,000 black marketers using worldwide it is cute. What's that, Crawfordville.

This is a little out of date as its about one year old, but the message is the same, very few people use it other than black marketers.

"So who owns how many bitcoins?
First things first, around 31 million transactions have taken place in bitcoin’s history. That seemed a little low to me to begin with, but it starts to look more reasonable in the light of other findings.

More than 25 million addresses have been referenced in those 31 million transactions. The total number of addresses, of course, gives an upper limit for the number of possible bitcoin users. Naturally, not every address ever referenced is still in use. In fact, it turns out that less than 10 percent actually have any bitcoins in – fewer than 2.5 million.

So that means an absolute maximum of around 2.5 million people own bitcoins right now. But approximately half of these addresses have very, very small amounts of bitcoin in – what is termed ‘dust’, or less than one millibit (0.001 btc). The total balance of all of those 1.2 million addresses is only 121 bitcoins, which means they each hold an average of just 0.0001 btc. In dollar terms and at current values, these 1.2 million ‘dust’ addresses hold a maximum of $0.80 and an average of $0.08.

Why do so many addresses hold next to nothing? One theory is that back in 2011 a denial of service attack was launched against the bitcoin network by ‘spamming’ it with small transactions. Remember, in 2011 the value of the amounts in question would be a miniscule fraction of the $0.08 dollars each they represent today. Whoever did it, I bet they wish they could have their money back now...

In any case, that leaves us with a balance of around 1.2 million addresses that have a meaningful quantity of bitcoins in – and the vast majority of these, almost one million, hold less than a full bitcoin. The total of this million-or-so accounts is just 87,000 btc."

Me again. At the current rate of Bitcoin prices (down from then) that means the 1.2 million addressees had only $24 million, so they were "invested" at around $22 per person. I'm blown away.

Btw, that was sarcasm.

Last edited:
Lol, don't understand.

Yes. In our earlier discussion and in the following you haven't exhibited an understanding of the role that bitcoin performs, how and where that matters (economically and politically), you just browse the web and paste irrelevant things. That's not to be confused with knowledge.

Before law school I was a Finance and Economic double major and did my senior thesis on real time transfer systems before that was even really possible with the tech at the time.

Cut and pasting is awesome for writing papers, but it has to be used in a relevant way to demonstrate a grasp of the concepts in question.

So I understand just fine. 60,000 black marketers using worldwide it is cute. What's that, Crawfordville.

Statements like that are why I don't think you understand yet. I think you can, so I simply ask you to hear me out and I'll try to address some misconceptions in how you're approaching this.
Bitpay has 60,000 registered businesses at this time.
Are there 60,000 businesses registered in Crawfordville to make international monetary exchanges?
But I must stress, you're dismissive of the current size and ignoring the benefits of the medium, and where and why it has potential utility.

This is a little out of date as its about one year old, but the message is the same, very few people use it other than black marketers.

The problem with all that number crunching isn't the math itself, but the irrelevance of the conclusions. Wallets can be, for all intents and purposes, single use. You're not conveying anything remotely useful about the protocol by counting how many wallets have been used and then trying to average that amount in dollars at a single arbitrary exchange point.
I would fail you for providing me dribble like that as understanding of the advantages of the protocol.

To your effort to besmirch the exchange medium by unsavory association:
Is there a transaction medium that black marketeers prefer over US dollars? I understood the 500 Euro note was popular with organized crime, but I would have to think by any measure, the world over, black marketeers will trade for your drug crusted dollars before anything else.
Is that actually a negative if what you're talking about is a medium of exchange that people can use in spite of, and as protection from, government diktat and the power of legal tender laws under fiat money?
What more honorable signature can a reserve currency obtain than the faith of the black marketeers?

Me again. At the current rate of Bitcoin prices (down from then) that means the 1.2 million addressees had only $24 million, so they were "invested" at around $22 per person. I'm blown away.

Again, these aggregates you're making are not relevant to the protocol's utility. It's akin to multiplying last night's high temperature by last night's low temperature, dividing by the difference and telling me you understand meteorology. Stop it. It's embarrassing.
Even you started as less than a million cells. Does marking that point tell us something significant about where you're headed? That's what you're doing cut and pasting these things.
Think for a moment about the billions of people who live beyond this border, and the fact that billions of them already have mobile phones and over a billion of them already have smart phones.
When Jose wants to send money to Maria in Venezuela, or Honduras, or Cuba, consider his ability to do so and the cut Wells Fargo wants - if the governments in between will let him.
That business exists already today and it is bigger than Crawfordville. Payment processing is not a small time affair.
You should make an effort to understand what it is, how it actually works, and how a fixed medium of exchange with essentially no transaction cost over international distances offers advantages over fiat currencies that even the most cursory examinations of history will tell you get abused in a single direction.

Reactions: RangerNole
Well I have some tulips for sale if you're interested.

Tulips rot, a good store of value has durability.

Just wondering if you wanted to take a stab at what the floor will be the next time it crashes.

Tulips rot, a good store of value has durability.

Just wondering if you wanted to take a stab at what the floor will be the next time it crashes.

Well the last time I saw the total value of the bitcoin was only $40 billion or 0.18% of the value of gold or less than the tenth of the annual value of coal so the total market involvement in bitcoin is minuscule and there's no real value behind it other than its value to ransomeware companies and other black market %*%*. So although I see some "experts" are saying there's a $1k floor, the real floor is well below that. At some point, there's going to be something awful associated with bitcoin like Russian or North Korean hackers using it in their cyberwar and then all of the legit and semi legit users will flee it.

I know you've been loving up on it for awhile but it is as unsafe of an investment as there is out there. As long as it's small and unnoticed then it's fine I suppose, but the instant some country's cyber warriors think they can damage their opponent or world's economy by crashing it then Bitcoin will be basically worthless. I don't know what the value of the real black market goods and services behind Bitcoin is really worth because I don't think anyone has honestly assessed it. But I would think the true floor is about a twentieth of the current value.

In terms of what you're asking about which is just the nonsense ups and downs of speculation on a small volume currency...I don't know, half? The largest crash of Bitcoin's value was 68% in the short term and 94% over about a year. But the second largest short term crash I see was 38%. So Half of the current peak is a reasonable short term floor assuming none of the cyberwar scenarios I talked about occur.

Like I said, this investment opportunity does not interest me at all.

Well the last time I saw the total value of the bitcoin was only $40 billion or 0.18% of the value of gold or less than the tenth of the annual value of coal so the total market involvement in bitcoin is minuscule and there's no real value behind it other than its value to ransomeware companies and other black market %*%*. So although I see some "experts" are saying there's a $1k floor, the real floor is well below that. At some point, there's going to be something awful associated with bitcoin like Russian or North Korean hackers using it in their cyberwar and then all of the legit and semi legit users will flee it.

I know you've been loving up on it for awhile but it is as unsafe of an investment as there is out there. As long as it's small and unnoticed then it's fine I suppose, but the instant some country's cyber warriors think they can damage their opponent or world's economy by crashing it then Bitcoin will be basically worthless. I don't know what the value of the real black market goods and services behind Bitcoin is really worth because I don't think anyone has honestly assessed it. But I would think the true floor is about a twentieth of the current value.

In terms of what you're asking about which is just the nonsense ups and downs of speculation on a small volume currency...I don't know, half? The largest crash of Bitcoin's value was 68% in the short term and 94% over about a year. But the second largest short term crash I see was 38%. So Half of the current peak is a reasonable short term floor assuming none of the cyberwar scenarios I talked about occur.

Like I said, this investment opportunity does not interest me at all.

Wouldn't have minded sticking a thousand or two in 2014.

Lol, if you recall I was one of the naysayers in those Bitcoin and gold threads. I guess Im a frickin genius.

I am not in the global drug trafficking or illegal weapons trade business so the thought of bitcoin being used as a global money laundering scheme did not cross my mind when first hearing about this company lol.

Well the last time I saw the total value of the bitcoin was only $40 billion or 0.18% of the value of gold or less than the tenth of the annual value of coal so the total market involvement in bitcoin is minuscule

So you're saying there is still time to get in near the ground floor? ;)

and there's no real value behind it

It's value stems from its utility as a medium of exchange and store of value that central banks cannot debase. Can you genuinely see no 'real value' in that?
Just as with federal reserve notes, the 'real value' is as a medium of exchange.

other than its value to ransomeware companies and other black market %*%*.

Do black marketeers shun federal reserve notes? Should the willingness of black marketeers to use dollars stop anyone else from using them in exchange? I'm trying to follow your reasoning here, but I don't see it.

So although I see some "experts" are saying there's a $1k floor, the real floor is well below that.

It's interesting to me how recently $1.2k was the tip of a parabolic spike, and now some view that as a floor?!

At some point, there's going to be something awful associated with bitcoin like Russian or North Korean hackers using it in their cyberwar and then all of the legit and semi legit users will flee it.

When the Norks were printing supernotes (if they've actually stopped, and not simply gotten even better) did it give you pause in using dollars? Or did it not actually matter? How would it matter?

I know you've been loving up on it for awhile

I think the development of a medium of exchange that cannot be debased by central banks and that offers extremely low (to no) transaction costs is quite lovable. Really, what's not to love?
Your opprobrium about 'bad actors' using it applies to any useful currency, and as I pointed out criminals favor USD globally over practically every other medium. Seems nonsensical to single out bitcoin in this regard without explaining why it's ok for every other currency.

but it is as unsafe of an investment as there is out there. As long as it's small and unnoticed then it's fine I suppose, but the instant some country's cyber warriors think they can damage their opponent or world's economy by crashing it then Bitcoin will be basically worthless.

Sounds scary, how do you imagine that could be achieved?

I would think the true floor is about a twentieth of the current value.

So ~$125 on today's price.
Now we have a mark. Let's see if this works as well as your other predictions in the same vein.

In terms of what you're asking about which is just the nonsense ups and downs of speculation on a small volume currency...I don't know, half? The largest crash of Bitcoin's value was 68% in the short term and 94% over about a year. But the second largest short term crash I see was 38%... Like I said, this investment opportunity does not interest me at all.

Federal Reserve debasement of the USD has resulted in a decline of purchasing power on the order of 98% since its inception, by their own admission, with literally no threat of recouping that value. What interests you in continuing to use that given that the debasement is actual policy?

Yes. In our earlier discussion and in the following you haven't exhibited an understanding of the role that bitcoin performs, how and where that matters (economically and politically), you just browse the web and paste irrelevant things. That's not to be confused with knowledge.

Cut and pasting is awesome for writing papers, but it has to be used in a relevant way to demonstrate a grasp of the concepts in question.

Statements like that are why I don't think you understand yet. I think you can, so I simply ask you to hear me out and I'll try to address some misconceptions in how you're approaching this.
Bitpay has 60,000 registered businesses at this time.
Are there 60,000 businesses registered in Crawfordville to make international monetary exchanges?
But I must stress, you're dismissive of the current size and ignoring the benefits of the medium, and where and why it has potential utility.

The problem with all that number crunching isn't the math itself, but the irrelevance of the conclusions. Wallets can be, for all intents and purposes, single use. You're not conveying anything remotely useful about the protocol by counting how many wallets have been used and then trying to average that amount in dollars at a single arbitrary exchange point.
I would fail you for providing me dribble like that as understanding of the advantages of the protocol.

To your effort to besmirch the exchange medium by unsavory association:
Is there a transaction medium that black marketeers prefer over US dollars? I understood the 500 Euro note was popular with organized crime, but I would have to think by any measure, the world over, black marketeers will trade for your drug crusted dollars before anything else.
Is that actually a negative if what you're talking about is a medium of exchange that people can use in spite of, and as protection from, government diktat and the power of legal tender laws under fiat money?
What more honorable signature can a reserve currency obtain than the faith of the black marketeers?

Again, these aggregates you're making are not relevant to the protocol's utility. It's akin to multiplying last night's high temperature by last night's low temperature, dividing by the difference and telling me you understand meteorology. Stop it. It's embarrassing.
Even you started as less than a million cells. Does marking that point tell us something significant about where you're headed? That's what you're doing cut and pasting these things.
Think for a moment about the billions of people who live beyond this border, and the fact that billions of them already have mobile phones and over a billion of them already have smart phones.
When Jose wants to send money to Maria in Venezuela, or Honduras, or Cuba, consider his ability to do so and the cut Wells Fargo wants - if the governments in between will let him.
That business exists already today and it is bigger than Crawfordville. Payment processing is not a small time affair.
You should make an effort to understand what it is, how it actually works, and how a fixed medium of exchange with essentially no transaction cost over international distances offers advantages over fiat currencies that even the most cursory examinations of history will tell you get abused in a single direction.

I have no idea what you just said and by the fact that what you said made my head hurt and confused me I dub you way smarter on this than Tribe. Not to mention Tribe never confuses me; maybe that is because we are both published writers. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT