ADVERTISEMENT

Fourth of July injuries?

NolegirlY2K

Freshman
Jan 31, 2003
So we all know the 4th is known for injuries. How many of you sustained one this year?

I am in the number this year and had to get my first set of stitches ever. I was filling the charcoal chimney with charcoal. Went to move the bag of charcoal and inadvertently brought my hand down on the rim of the chimney. It sliced my middle finger open, requiring 9 stitches. Nothing like spending 2 hours in urgent care on the 4th!

Some people in a condo a building over from us were shooting mortors off a balcony overlooking the beach. One of them didn't make it off the porch and exploded. As for me / us, no issues...

Two kids injured by sparklers at our 4th of July party.
I did manage to convince my wife that our <2 yr old didn't need to hold one herself...

Two kids injured by sparklers at our 4th of July party.
I did manage to convince my wife that our <2 yr old didn't need to hold one herself...
I agree with you, but in a way it's kinda cool your wife thinks it's ok for a 2 year old to play with fireworks.

I'm sorta beat up and sore from boating on Friday in rough water. Have a badly bruised toe from stubbing it on the boat.

I have a friend whose 5 year old daughter was killed when a sturgeon jumped into their boat on the Suwannee River on Thursday evening, so my bruises seem pretty insignificant.

Thought our neighbor was going to burn down our house or RV. Tons of embers and debris. But alas, luckily no fires

I hear a lot of people making this comment/complaint every year around the 4th (and New Years Eve); Newspaper letters sections are typically full of them. Is it really much of a true problem? For all the griping I see, you'd think there must be entire cities, or at least suburbs, that are burned to the ground every year.
I guess the liberal media ignores the news story.

So I was at first going to jump into a river full of gators, but some guy beat me to it. Then, I had a great idea. How about launching a firework off of my head. Then some guy did that as well. So I figured I'd just set off a firecracker in my hand but some football player beat me to that too.

Reactions: 75seminoles
Friend of mine who's a fireman in Alachua County said he had one guy lose a hand from holding on to fireworks. There was also a 5 year old girl killed just a few miles from me on the Suwannee River when a sturgeon jumped in their boat. Sad story.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/05/5-year-old-girl-dies-when-sturgeon-jumps-on-boat-striking-her/
That was a super sad story. What a stupid way to go.

Also, who knew there were river sturgeon in Florida? I'm sure plenty of people knew that already but I had no idea.

I'm sorta beat up and sore from boating on Friday in rough water. Have a badly bruised toe from stubbing it on the boat.

I have a friend whose 5 year old daughter was killed when a sturgeon jumped into their boat on the Suwannee River on Thursday evening, so my bruises seem pretty insignificant.
OMG that is awful!! Makes my finger very insignificant :(

That was a super sad story. What a stupid way to go.

Also, who knew there were river sturgeon in Florida? I'm sure plenty of people knew that already but I had no idea.

This time of year is a great time to see them jump right off of 19 at the little park in Fanning Springs along the Suwanee. They jump about every 30 secs or so and they are NOT little fish. 8 ft long and 150-200 lbs is adult sized and some get even larger. The Gulf sturgeon isn't gargantuan like the beluga and Kahluga in Russie (up to 2,000 lbs), but seeing 100lb plus fish flying all around you is an awesome expertinence.

A Gazebo in the community we grew up in bit the dust over the weekend in Sugar Land, TX. We had many family get together's there growing up!

Pecan%20Park%20Fire_zpspfkcthtp.jpg

I hear a lot of people making this comment/complaint every year around the 4th (and New Years Eve); Newspaper letters sections are typically full of them. Is it really much of a true problem? For all the griping I see, you'd think there must be entire cities, or at least suburbs, that are burned to the ground every year.
I guess the liberal media ignores the news story.

There were several fires out here in NorCal started by fireworks that damaged houses.

. . .I have a friend whose 5 year old daughter was killed when a sturgeon jumped into their boat on the Suwannee River on Thursday evening, so my bruises seem pretty insignificant.
That was such a sad and bizarre story. Can't imagine.

And the guy who shot the mortar from his head. From what i read, he wasn't intending to light it like that, but it got list somehow. His brother said there wasn't anything left to take to the hospital. Gruesome. :eek:

This time of year is a great time to see them jump right off of 19 at the little park in Fanning Springs along the Suwanee. They jump about every 30 secs or so and they are NOT little fish. 8 ft long and 150-200 lbs is adult sized and some get even larger. The Gulf sturgeon isn't gargantuan like the beluga and Kahluga in Russie (up to 2,000 lbs), but seeing 100lb plus fish flying all around you is an awesome expertinence.

Yes, they're a pretty well-known danger here during the summers months. They come up from the gulf to breed. Like Tribe said, 6-7 feet and 200 lbs isn't unusual and they can jump 5-6 feet out of the water. Their scales are like metal plates. I know of several people who have been injured, including the nurse for my family doctor, who had both of her upper arm bones (humerus?) broken when one jumped in their boat. Imagine cruising 35-40 mph on the water and running into a steel door.

We have a bigger boat (21-ft. Chris Craft with a cabin that rides pretty high off the water so I feel pretty safe for us. These people had just bought a new bass boat about a month ago (they posted about it on Facebook). Those things run about a foot off the water. Just such a sad story.

I recall someone getting killed years ago by a hound fish jumping into boats down in So Fla.
got the guy right in the heart.

That was such a sad and bizarre story. Can't imagine.

And the guy who shot the mortar from his head. From what i read, he wasn't intending to light it like that, but it got list somehow. His brother said there wasn't anything left to take to the hospital. Gruesome. :eek:

Further investigation indicates the mortar round was loaded upside down, so it shot into the dudes' skull instead of into the air.

I remember during the first Gulf War when the CNN correspondents were in Baghdad and sending back video of the sky full of tracers seeking F-117s in vain, and thinking to myself, "all that crap is coming back down on the city..."

ADVERTISEMENT