ADVERTISEMENT

FSU 68 UNC 75 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Bill From Tampa

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
FSU 68 UNC 75 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

So today is a double show day. Meaning I was only able to catch the last 6:16 of the game. No watching the game on the phone on the music stand in the pit on this one. Its one song rapid fire after another the entire show.

Anyway, just some very brief thoughts.

The Good

FSU getting down by eleven, 19-8, in the first 5:50 and not imploding actually holding a 41-35 halftime lead. The Seminoles could not hold that lead and was down by as many as nine in the second half. Howwever, FSU made that last run and really had a chance to win with 2 minutes left. From what I saw, we made them work for it and gave solid effort.

Credit the bench for keeping this a competitive game outscoring the Tar Heel bench 35-7.

Somebody did a good defensive job on Armando Bacot. Just 5 points and 4 rebounds.

A decent defensive job all around. If you don't count RJ Davis that is. I guess that is why he is the ACC's leading scorer.

Heck of a steal by Primo Spears going coast to coast for the lay up, 70-68 UNC. A whole lot of time remained, 2:37, after that.

The spread was UNC -6.5. For those short term investors who took the Tar Heels and gave the points. You need to share some of that spoils with Davis for that last FT of the game. In this era of NIL money floating around all over the place, that would not be a NCAA violation, right?

The Bad

A big hole remains in FSU's tournament resume. The 'Noles needed this win because they have very little to hang their hat on. There are games to play. But people who do the analytics and vote in polls obviously don't think too much of the ACC. Just two teams are ranked in the Top 25 IIRC. So there are not many quality wins left on the schedule to make a case to the selection committee.

I saw at the half FSU was 7 of 12 from the arc. The second half FSU shot 2 of 8. I was afraid it was not going to last.

If only Jamir Watkins' three with 1:50 left had gone down. FSU takes a 71-68 lead and who knows what happens.

If only Spears had not lost that ball OB under the basket. I thought he tried to press it trying to drive the ball there. The UNC player was just able to squeeze him along the end line.

How does one player grab 17 rebounds as Harrison Ingram did today?

The Ugly

0-5. The number of baskets made and attempted by FSU in the last 2:37. I felt we pressed more than a little.

Memo to Taylor Bol Bowen: PLEASE stop shooting threes. The other team does not even bother stepping out to guard you because they know you are going to miss them as was the case today. Twice. That is 2 of 17 so far. Said another way, that's 12%.

FT disparity. UNC took 24, made 19. FSU took 11 and made just 5. In the game earlier this season it was something like 30-8 in UNC's favor. Now I know FSU missed a number of the front end of one and ones especially down the stretch today. But nah, there is no favoritism going on there.

And speaking of favoritism, the TV color person applauding the hustle by Davis on a loose ball that went OB right in front of them. Umm, you didn't notice the Seminole player right with the floor burn going after the ball as well? Good God, I had to turn off that Tar Heel love fest eventually.

Up Next

FSU goes on the road to the KFC Yum Center to face Louisville on Saturday, Feb 3 at 8 PM. The game will be shown on the ACCN. I watched the first half of the UVa vs UL game before heading to the matinee. Talk about ugly basketball by the Cardinals. They were down by 28 points at the break and had amassed 10 turnovers eventually losing to the Cavaliers, 69-52. Dead last in the ACC, UL is 6-14 overall and 1-8 in the conference. The lone league win was back on January 10th against Miami. This a team that you just cannot lose to if you are trying to make a case for post season play. And even if you aren't you should not be losing to that team.

UNC got caught looking ahead to Duke or we wore them out. Or both. No way should they have lost to GT. Man, I wish we had beaten them.

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT