ADVERTISEMENT

FSU 91 UNF 75 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Bill From Tampa

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
FSU 91 UNF 75 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

FSU improves to 5-5 ending a four game losing streak. Coming into the game, FSU held a 7-0 record vs North Florida with six of those wins by double digits. Make that 8-0 and 7 of 8 by double digits.

The Seminoles came out right at the start of the game playing with more effort and energy constantly pushing the ball up the floor quickly. Darin Green let it be known in a post game interview that Leonard Hamilton in his pre game speech to his team said "If I need to make a motivational speech (after losing 4 straight) I don't know what to tell you". Apparently that was all Hamilton had to say. Coach mentioned that while his team did not always execute, they maintained the intensity he wants from his team the entire game. Key in that Hamilton said were players logging fewer minutes. No starter played more than 26 minutes and five reserves saw double digit minutes on the floor. It resulted in a lead as large as 27 points.

An entirely different team shooting the ball out there tonight compared to Saturday night. The 'Noles shot 51% from the floor and 46% (10-22) from the arc. Add 17 assists to go along with those 34 made baskets. Against SMU, the Seminoles had only four.

Rebounding. FSU dominated, something they don't always do, 44-27. OK, a team like UNF who shoots a ton of threes (avg 34 per game and tonight launched 46 connecting on 18) is probably not going to win the rebounding battle. But still, a much better team effort in that category led by Jamir Watkins with 8 boards. Nine players grabbed at least two boards. Because of that, FSU grabbed 15 offensive boards and converted that into 25 second chance points by my count.

Hamilton felt his team did a fine job containing the dribble crediting Justin Gainey and Taylor Bol Bowen for their interior defense.

Timely use of the full court press that threw off UNF inbounding the ball. That caused confusion and two turnovers one of which a five second call.

UNF led once, 3-2. That was it. An 11-1 FSU run later on put the Seminoles up 30-17. A 14-0 run finished off by Spears' lay up gave FSU that 27 point lead, 76-49.

POTG: Darin Green. Coming into the game, Darin was nine points short of 1,500. He scored 24 on 9-12 shooting including 6-8 from the arc. It was a season high in points and three pointers made for Green. His back to back threes in a span of forty seconds with a couple of minutes to play put FSU up 89-66 making sure there would be no miracle comeback win for the Ospreys. Joining him in double figures was Jalen Warley and Primo Spears each with 12 points. Baba Miller added 10.

Plays of the game: Right out of the gate, Watkins with a steal going coast to coast for the lay up and Warley's steal and assist to Darin for the wide open three and a 7-3 lead. Chandler Jackson barreling down from above the key, receiving the pass, and smartly pulling up for the jumper from the FT line, 17-9. Darin behind the screen on the right wing with the super quick release for the three and a 33-22 lead. The handoff from Baba to Darin and returning the ball to Miller circling around the defense for the lay up, 35-24. Warley with the rebound passing to Watkins who passed to Darin and the three in transition, 42-30. The UNF inbound lob from the sideline to under the basket that looked like a sure layup only to be swatted away by Watkins.

The Bad

Guarding Chaz Lanier (22 pts) was a challenge. Usually a strength in defending the arc, FSU had difficulties with Lanier's use of screens and more so with his creating wide open shots with jab and step back jumpers. On occasion, the 'Nole defenders got caught watching the ball more than Lanier.

Hamilton mentioning in pre-game that Cameron Corhen will likely be out two more weeks with that broken toe.

The Ugly

Attendance. Announced as 4,066. OK, if you say so. But that was a ghost town there tonight. OK, school is out and with Christmas just days away, not a lot of people probably were not interested in going to a basketball game. Sure was tough to look at though. I am not sure there was anyone in the upper level.

If you are short term investor who took FSU and gave the 17 points, the last thing you wanted to see was with :19 left UNF take a three only to miss ... but wait .... the Ospreys get the rebound kicking it to Jasal Miles who nailed a three from the left corner to make the final margin 16 points. Now how do those guys in Vegas do that?

That seriously could not have been a set play I hope when the ball made its way to De'Ante Green stationed above the key. Finding himself wide open, he launched the three that missed the mark. Now why was he wide open? Because he was 1-9 on the season from the arc!!! Who the heck is going to guard him out at the line? If that is a set play, might I recommend taking it out of the play book.

OK, this does not pertain in any way to our game. But, if you thought FSU shot poorly against SMU, you should have seen Notre Dame tonight vs The Citadel. The Irish shot 27% from the floor and were 4 of 23 from three point land. That is 13% for those of you keeping score at home.

OK, not pertaining to our game Part Deux. Michigan in losing to the gatros 106-101 with a grand total of three, yes, count 'em, three bench points.

Up Next

FSU will play the third game of a seven game home stand hosting Winthrop on Friday. Tip is at 7:00 PM and will stream on the ACCNX. The 8-5 Eagles (2-4 road) are not a team to be overlooked. Earlier tonight Winthrop hung with the 10-1 Gamecocks until late in the game eventually losing 72-62. It will be the last game before taking an 8 day break. The task for any coach in a game that falls right before Christmas is keeping players focused until the game is over. I'd put my money on Hamilton when it comes to keeping a team focused.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT