ADVERTISEMENT

FSU Alum and Spanx Founder Sara Blakely buy the Atlanta Hawks

Qhat kind of minority owner? Real like 40%? Or the BS minority owner like Jay-z and the nets?

Could be the first step into stor it product line extension. Otherwise not sure why do this- there are a lot of other better ways to invest.

Could be the first step into stor it product line extension. Otherwise not sure why do this- there are a lot of other better ways to invest.

Are you kidding? Have you seen the way NBA teams have been appreciating? Ask Jordan if it was a good investment. #billionaire

I really think its more her husband who has plenty of cash of his own. There are a lot of folks involved in this group including Grant Hill.
Yeah I saw that to where Grant Hill is in the deal also......good for him. Always been a fan of his.

AJC reports that current Hawks owners paid $250M in 2004 for the Hawks, the NHL Thrashers and rights to Philips Arena. They sold the Thrashers 4 years ago for $170M and the estimated selling price for the Hawks will be around $850M. That sounds OK to me!

AJC reports that current Hawks owners paid $250M in 2004 for the Hawks, the NHL Thrashers and rights to Philips Arena. They sold the Thrashers 4 years ago for $170M and the estimated selling price for the Hawks will be around $850M. That sounds OK to me!

That's a 28% annual return!

She has tremendous success and deserves major props!

FSU's fundraisers absolutely cannot get to her. It'd be great if she dropped a huge donation on the school, academically and athletics, but it is her money and she can do what she likes.

Go Noles!
I'd like to know why she won't contribute to her alma mater if true. Anyone who has had that kind of success should be giving back to their school or there's something wrong IHO.

Reactions: NJNOLES
I'd like to know why she won't contribute to her alma mater if true. Anyone who has had that kind of success should be giving back to their school or there's something wrong IHO.

Why? Maybe she has a cause that is close to her where she donates.

It's unbelievable that any of you have the brass to criticize someone because that someone doesn't support your charitable institution of choice.

How dare Ms. Blakely treat her money as if it were hers.

Reactions: goldmom
I didn't goto FSU but if I had that kind of cash there would be an academic building and athletic building both with the name of my favorite charity on it. (Don't care to have mine on anything)

She can do what she wants with her money
And I'm free to think what I want of her

Reactions: jap 1
I know several professional team owners, and the consensus is that the big source of income is television, and the major expense is salaries, Few pro teams generate much operational profit, but the big hit comes from capital appreciation; I remember when the Falcons were worth 100M, and they're now worth in the 1.2B range. And, more than one owner has told me that team ownership is the world's greatest toy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT