ADVERTISEMENT

Game of thrones season 5 episode 3

iupnole1

Contributor
Aug 30, 2005
starting to pick up a bit. John Snow is a MF boss. That scene was sweet. Jumped ahead big time having tommen marry margery already. I just can't see Sansa actually marrying Ramsay. I Wonder if when theon and her finally meet. Thoughts?

I think Sansa is gonna start killing the people who effed with her family...I wonder what's gonna happen with Tyrion

It was a good episode but there was a huge change from the books. They also cut out a lot of the story from Tyron's trip to where he is now and an important character that was not introduced on that trip.
In some ways it seems like they are rushing the story.
I still love the show but it is starting to take a new direction and is not following the books as closely as it once did.

You have to expect that... They will get to the end before George does so the TV story will take shortcuts and its own liberties but I agree major major changes.

You have to expect that... They will get to the end before George does so the TV story will take shortcuts and its own liberties but I agree major major changes.
I definitely expect changes and variations of the story but they have cut a lot out. They could easily add another season just on what they have cut out so far. My guess is they wanted to reduce the number of story lines because it would get too convoluted in an hour long show. Completely understandable but still disappointing.

I'm reading book four now and see a lot of divergence. Hopefully some of the show's plot lines will reconverge with the book. I imagine they must consult Martin about some of the changes.

Good episode. They really pushed the story forward last night, after a lollygagging couple of episodes. A little disappointing with Arya's story line being so moribund, since she was one of the best parts of the show, but overall it feels like we're going places again.

I think not having a Dany scene probably helped LOL. It seems that the end of every episode was Dany time and it was, "wash, rinse, repeat".

I'm guessing that Tyrion is being taken to Dany and not Cersei.

Thought Sansa marrying Ramsey was kind of weird but since she was slated to marry Joffrey in seasons past, anything's possible .

There are two characters that need a good beating IMO, Littlefinger and Cersei. They are getting too comfortable calling shots and need to be taken down a peg or two.

I think not having a Dany scene probably helped LOL. It seems that the end of every episode was Dany time and it was, "wash, rinse, repeat".

I'm guessing that Tyrion is being taken to Dany and not Cersei.

Thought Sansa marrying Ramsey was kind of weird but since she was slated to marry Joffrey in seasons past, anything's possible .

There are two characters that need a good beating IMO, Littlefinger and Cersei. They are getting too comfortable calling shots and need to be taken down a peg or two.

Agree on Tyrion, think he is being taken to Dany so Jorah can get back in Dany's good graces. Seeing as Martin kills all the "good" characters and most of the "bad" are still around. I see Littlefinger "winning" the Game of Thrones in the end just to piss off fans since most dislike him, or just because he may be the most evil and manipulative character. Half kidding on that prediction.

I'm reading book four now and see a lot of divergence. Hopefully some of the show's plot lines will reconverge with the book. I imagine they must consult Martin about some of the changes.

There is a lot of divergence, but what they seem to be doing with Sansa and Brienne (and even Tyrion) just makes so much more sense than what GRRM did with them that it compounds the disappointment of books 4 and 5 further. The showrunners are doing what GRRM could not: EDITING out worthless characters and plot convolutions, and putting the main characters where they should be by a much more direct and rational route.

Those nerds that always say "the book was better" will have to grant that the TV show is better, at least for the stories from books 4-5 (season 5).

There is a lot of divergence, but what they seem to be doing with Sansa and Brienne (and even Tyrion) just makes so much more sense than what GRRM did with them that it compounds the disappointment of books 4 and 5 further. The showrunners are doing what GRRM could not: EDITING out worthless characters and plot convolutions, and putting the main characters where they should be by a much more direct and rational route.

Those nerds that always say "the book was better" will have to grant that the TV show is better, at least for the stories from books 4-5 (season 5).

Nope, the book is still better. The books had untraditional storylines that are being dropped or changed to boring straightforward Hollywood formula. I hated what they did to Sansa in the show (and I never cared for her character or her arch to begin with), but making Jaqen H'ghar into the leader of the Faceless Men is hackneyed Hollywood at its worst. Jaqen was just a lowly frontline member who got captured and needed saving by an untrained preteen girl. Having the leader of the organization in just such lowly and precariously situation makes the Whole organization seem weak rather than a major player in global politics.

I won't say one is better than the other because both are great but I will say ot is the complexity of the story that made GoT what it is. The show can't possibly follow all of the story lines from the books, the show gets to the same (or in some cases different) places more efficiently and in some cases that is an improvement but in other cases such as the iron islands story and the Tyrion adventures on the road to Volantis I feel a little cheated because they are really good parts of the books.

The Sansa storyline is a definite change, especially if you've read some of the teaser chapters from the upcoming books. However, while I love the books, I'm certainly not going to flip out with changes. I'm kind of excited to see them head in their own direction as I want to still enjoy reading the remaining books and if the story matches exactly there will be no fun left in doing so. As for being able to make an entire season out of the stuff they cut out, that is true. However Martin definitely could have used a good editor on the last two books as he really struggled in tying all the pieces together, especially of storylines that simply seem useless. I'm glad to see some of the more inane lines being ignored all together. As long as they can continue to tell a good story, with tons of great intrigue and fantastic characters, I'm more than happy to ride wherever this takes me.

I wonder if they will ever tell what becomes of the "5th King" in the Iron Islands.

Anybody else wondering whatever happened to Gendry and on another note, if the Brotherhood Without Banners will ever be back?

I forgot about Gendry. Good question.
I dont think we will see the Brotherhood without banners" any more. The show seems to have dropped that whole story that was tied to Lady Stoneheart.

Best episode of the season so far....would be considered a mediocre episode in previous seasons...just sayin.

Tyrion better get his friggin confidence back too....I couldn't believe he went all limp on us.

The Sansa storyline is a definite change, especially if you've read some of the teaser chapters from the upcoming books. However, while I love the books, I'm certainly not going to flip out with changes. I'm kind of excited to see them head in their own direction as I want to still enjoy reading the remaining books and if the story matches exactly there will be no fun left in doing so. As for being able to make an entire season out of the stuff they cut out, that is true. However Martin definitely could have used a good editor on the last two books as he really struggled in tying all the pieces together, especially of storylines that simply seem useless. I'm glad to see some of the more inane lines being ignored all together. As long as they can continue to tell a good story, with tons of great intrigue and fantastic characters, I'm more than happy to ride wherever this takes me.

I'm sure the show can't live up to the book in a lot of ways for people that love the books. But as in every adaptation, the idea is to bring something of the story to more people. If I had that much interest in every nuance of the world, I'd read the books. I'm sure there are people who picked up the books after getting mesmerized by the show.

But for me, there's no way I would want to watch something so dense it took 8-10 seasons to progress as far as it has to this point. Now, I have no idea if what they chose to cut would have been better than what they chose to film, or if the changes could have been done better. That seems entirely possible. But as for adding that many more characters, or that much more backstory to every character...no thanks.

Even the show has too many sideplots and characters really, that's why there's a great GoT parody of Too Many Cooks.

If you haven't seen the original Too Many Cooks watch it here.

Don't give up on it, I know it's nearly 12 minutes long but it gets hilarious midway through and you can't just skip to the middle as its a long setup to some hilarious content.

The GOT parody of the long sendup of popculture can be found here.

http://www.themarysue.com/game-of-thrones-too-many-cooks/

The changes are making me a little crazy. The main one being the Sansa story. Hopefully she is ready to avenge her family and not end up a toy for Ramsey.

The North Remembers.

Awesome episode.

Don't care that they're diverging from the books. The books moved super slow during this period anyway and were, at times, arguably boring and unreadable.

I'm absolutely thrilled that they dropped the stupid lady stoneheart storylines. Of all the dumb storylines in the books, this one made no sense other than to add page count as it hasn't once added to the story at all. I also much prefer the direction they've taken with Jaime and with Brienne. Jaime winds up just arguing with his uncle and settling family squabbles back at Casterly Rock and not really doing anything, and Brienne just becomes useless unless there is some plot change for her in an upcoming book somehow. I'm undecided as of yet as to how I feel about the Sansa change.

I'm absolutely thrilled that they dropped the stupid lady stoneheart storylines. Of all the dumb storylines in the books, this one made no sense other than to add page count as it hasn't once added to the story at all. I also much prefer the direction they've taken with Jaime and with Brienne. Jaime winds up just arguing with his uncle and settling family squabbles back at Casterly Rock and not really doing anything, and Brienne just becomes useless unless there is some plot change for her in an upcoming book somehow. I'm undecided as of yet as to how I feel about the Sansa change.
To be fair, we really don't know where the lady Stoneheart story is taking us yet (although i assume he put that in as a person to seek vengence on Walder Frey).

I am never one to believe the books have to be better. All I can say is that after Arya entered the House of White and Black last week, then Sansa showed up to marry Ramsey, I turned to my wife and said "at this point there is no point even having read the books any more." The changes are big. Very big. They may very well be better. I have no idea now because those two mid books never really went anywhere; they were like over a thousand pages of set up material.

The Tyrion story line is one I don't like seeing changed this much. I think the book did a good job of working through some of his demons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT